wifi - direct ??

Salauddin Ahmed

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
wifi direct is a must have feature for W10 mobile . But i not hearded a single word about it , If it's coming to W10 mobile . Can i get this feature on my 820 by updating my phone to final W10 mobile when it's availabe ??

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
No but Wi-Fi direct isn't available on every phone to begin with, they need specific hardware, and I'm not sure if there any WP that has Wi-Fi direct in the market currently.

Salauddin Ahmed

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I use ''shareit '' app for sharing files via wifi . It's actually not works like android does , cause it's not wifi - direct feature . Android - Android sharing not needs to conect with any hotspots . Cause android has wifi-direct feature . Here in bangladesh many people are buying windows phones . Cause of very budget friendly lumia phones . But many people don't know how to use ''shareit '' with android devices . They are getting frustrated for not able to share files with Windows Phones .they are getting bad experience from windows phones . Also not having a native video calling system is very bad . Many people are not buying lumias for a lack of native video call .

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
How would you call it then?
You do not need to be connected to a existing network. If the android for example enables internet sharing you can connect your phone to it and share.
It is indeed not the same as android but this is now available and W10 will bring further improvements.
So is it now perfect? No it is not but you can share files.
And I am sorry that people do not know how to use SHAREit or other similar apps but that I can not help. So please explain it to your friends how to use it.

But back to your original question.
W10 will have WiFi-direct.
And w8.1 has WiFi-direct 0.5 (you say no and I say yes half/half)

Last edited:

Creeto

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I know the 1520 and 930 have WiFi direct. miracast uses WiFi direct which works good on 8 1 but on 10 landscape doesn't auto fill, work in progress? According to the links above looks like 10 will expand on WiFi direct capabilities. For now to file share bluetooth works/bump, those other options above , or share via OneDrive /dropbox.

Salauddin Ahmed

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
android not has internet-sharing , it has wifi-hotspot feature ( simillar to the internet sharing ) . windows is just going to be awesome than ever this time !! I am very pleased to know that its coming on W10 .

kevin_tenza

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
Wifi direct in WP is still below par. With Android you find a file and wifi direct is part of the sending options. I need this to be native on WP, i don't need to download an app to use Bluetooth why do i for Wi-di

awneze

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
WiFi direct feature is already available on Windows 10, I have Build 10130 and I used it.
I dunno if it needs special hardware but I have n external wifi antenna attached to my desktop, so maybe that supports it, I dunno

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
android not has internet-sharing , it has wifi-hotspot feature ( simillar to the internet sharing ) . windows is just going to be awesome than ever this time !! I am very pleased to know that its coming on W10 .

Internet Sharing and Wi-Fi Hotspot are the exact same thing. It is also called "tethering" by some.
It's like interchanging the terms "Abominable Snowman" and "Yeti". They are the same thing.

spch

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone doesn't have Wi-Fi direct. Wi-Fi direct feature needs apps to create their own Wi-Fi lans and connect to other Wi-Fi lans automatically without USER ACTION, WP apps cannot do that. Wi-Fi direct only works in WP if you are using an external Wi-Fi network to connect two phones or you use tethering to connect to other device (and as a twist to this you cannot tether to another phone without data-connection, so if you tether to another device it can not only access Wi-Fi LAN buto also external internet and might consume a huge amount of data in the process, cause for all I know there could be gazillion apps waiting for an update on the other device.

Wi-Fi direct codes are already present in WP OS and all Lumia phones (according to MS Lumia 630, 635, 636, 638, 640, 640 XL, 730, 735, 830, 930, 1520 and Icon, but all phones should be capable) have the capacity to use it (because WP supports miracast), but MS has no software or API available to let apps do this.

MS to provide API support for apps to create Wi-Fi Lan MINUS external internet.
MS needs to let users tether with or without external internet.

This feature is missing due to a complete lackluster approach to OS from MS's part.

No but Wi-Fi direct isn't available on every phone to begin with, they need specific hardware, and I'm not sure if there any WP that has Wi-Fi direct in the market currently.

All phones have Wi Fi direct capable hardware but missing software and API.

How would you call it then?
You do not need to be connected to a existing network.

Yes you do, you have to be connected to an existing network or manually connect to another network to use Wi-Fi transfer.

And I am sorry that people do not know how to use SHAREit or other similar apps but that I can not help. So please explain it to your friends how to use it.

SHAREit fails to connect to android shareit app 99% of times and it's embarrassing in front of your friends and colleagues.

w8.1 has WiFi-direct 0.5 (you say no and I say yes half/half)

I say W8.1 has Wi-Fi direct backwards, Wi-Fi directs needs to connect via secure protocol which DOESNOT require existing and/or external internet. WP needs to connect either via external network or via tethering, WP apps cannot connect to a network without USER INTERVENTION (Eg- actually going to Wi-Fi settings and connecting to the Wi-FI network.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
spch is correct in the assessment of Wi-Fi direct on Windows Phone. Many models have the capable hardware, but we are lacking the API.

I do believe I recall in one of the talks Microsoft gave that Wi-Fi Direct is indeed coming to Windows 10, including Windows 10 for mobile. That will be a welcome feature indeed.

Because I have a Windows 8.1 Laptop and Windows 8.1 Phone, the only device I have in my house that is Wi-Fi direct capable is my printer. I'm looking forward to taking advantage of it in Windows 10. It will be much easier to share files between my phone and laptop once it is available, seeing as how Bluetooth is just too slow and cumbersome. I shouldn't have to upload to OneDrive just to get a file on my laptop from my phone, and I shouldn't have to email a file to myself, but that's what I've been having to do.

It's not a major enough issue to cause me to switch platforms, because other than this one issue, I absolutely love working with WP 8.1 GDR 2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett