Windows 10 mobile - the ugliest future...

Status
Not open for further replies.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
:D You haven't been here long, have you?

WP - it wasn't the interface, it was the complete lack of features and apps (and apps needing functions that weren't available) and MS pissing around doing nothing. As usual. Btw, if they rope you in and get you hooked on something, they will be pulling it out from under you in a few years.

The MS Way?

Haven't used Insider Program yet, but the pictures look good though. I just wanted some key features that Android had like OTG Modem, ALL Video Codec support etc etc. If Microsoft can provide that then Hopefully I don't need to buy an Android Phone after selling my last one. By the way the UI's nice. I don't necessarily like WindowsPhones fully yet cause of being a long time Android User lol. But if MS keeps it's promises and LISTENS TO THE USERS all's good :winktongue:

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
One thing that all my freinds ( all of us are windows enthusiast) have agreed to, that except start screen , every single thing related to win 10 is ugly.. And we all are heading to an ugly future... And killing the me tile completely, was probably most rude thing done to the OS... Hope you agree with me and buddies..

Strange, I think everything about Windows 10 is beautiful and a huge, much needed improvement.

bhavya26

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
All those who think W10 Mobile is ugly first think that its a combimation windows 10 plus windows 8.1 so some things are gonna look different and it doesnt necessarily also mean that in final update it would be ugly
The thing is that Modern UI that made windows phone so popular needs to evolve because keeping the same design principle means more of boredom like how ios has been the same for years people got bored
People are not liking the new os just because they are pretty attached to the old Modern UI
But remember guys that once all bits and pieces are together it would be one heck of an OS
And for the Hamburger issue people have it is something microsoft either can switch it to bottom of the page to keep people happy as well dont hamper functionality of app

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
WP - it wasn't the interface, it was the complete lack of features and apps (and apps needing functions that weren't available) and MS pissing around doing nothing. As usual. Btw, if they rope you in and get you hooked on something, they will be pulling it out from under you in a few years.

The MS Way™

Hey, at least Microsoft is making it painless to move to another platform without leaving their services. That's one brownie point for them!

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
What is exactly ugly?
View attachment 105069
View attachment 105070
View attachment 105071
View attachment 105072
View attachment 105073
It all looks rather modern and slick to me. I've used WP since it debuted in 2010 and I couldn't care less if they hide functions I rarely use in Hamburger Menu's. I used the me tile for about 10 minutes when I first got my htc Mozart back in the day. Never really cared for it to be honest and having the ability to compose proper emails while on the go and using first rate apps ported from iOS like facebook trumps any medicore feature that integrates social media from other services in a poor way. Besides they're still keeping the 'What's New' Feature in the people hub, so... Also, what does removing the 'Me' tile have to do with how an OS looks??

these screenshots for windows 10 mobile apps looks 10 times more beautiful than the crappy apps we currently have on windows phone 8.1

goldenpipes

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
WP is about Dark theme..I see dark theme in Photos app, Music Preview, Video Preview then why have they not introduced dark theme in Outlook app yet? I am pretty sure those so called "ugly" icons will look "cool" if app uses dark theme :)
I hope they do introduce dark theme in upcoming build..

I LOVE THE NEW MUSIC PREVIEW!

i hope more of the OS gets this makeover.

the now playing area at the bottom of the App needs to be the replacement for the now playing in the volume drawer.

Paul Stoner

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Whereas I am new to this forum, I have been following Microsoft and Windows development from the late 90's, the age of the "dot com" boom, and I have been in the field of IT for 20 years of my adult life.

I must say that this has got to be the single most ignorant and uneducated thread I have ever seen posted in a forum. Just because they took away ONE feature you 'loved' in the absolute earliest technical builds for WP, doesn't mean it is gone. WP 10 won't be done until "later this year" - that is a long way away from slapping down a judgement of "ugly"...

You, sir, need to recognize that and have some patience.

syspry

May 5, 2015
Visit site
Whereas I am new to this forum, I have been following Microsoft and Windows development from the late 90's, the age of the "dot com" boom, and I have been in the field of IT for 20 years of my adult life.

I must say that this has got to be the single most ignorant and uneducated thread I have ever seen posted in a forum.

Your experience with forums must be a lot less than it is with Microsoft if you think this is the worst the Internet has to offer lol

idokamaroq

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I heavily disagree, every build that MSFT is releasing is showing me that they are giving up to original ideas "copycatting" from other OSs "in order to make the UX familiar" only IF YOU switching from other platforms, well, I think they are doing well because they are showing me what I'm going to see when I switch from Windows 10 Mobile if they continue the same way. I will prefer to choose an ugly UX-UI with apps (iOS/Android) than an ugly UX-UI without apps (Windows Phone/Mobile), MSFT is making it easy releasing their apps to other platforms first.

Sorry to jump so far back in the thread (I guess I didn't jump as far back as you did, though...), but did you even read my post? That has nothing to do with what I said. Lol

If you want to talk about that, though, there are reasons people go with the other platforms other than apps. The platform had to get popular first, before it got the apps, which helped it grow, (generating a positive feedback loop, but that's sorta irrelevant).

The way I see the new UI is MS using the other (more successful) platforms as a baseline and then throwing their own spin on it and improving it. It almost makes the old UI feel a little restrictive, even if it was more "flowy" and had some great ergonomic related design standards.

Once you're used to one UI, though, you won't like change. Ya, I don't like everything that they're doing with the UI, but I don't think they're ruining it by any means. And all hope is not lost, as we aren't even anywhere near release. Look at the update to Outlook on W10 mobile that just came out. Buttons back on the bottom where we like them.

And if you want to go with something that isn't "copycat," jump over to Sailfish or something. But even that implements stolen ideas.

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Used to be a hardcore windows phone fan.... Converted 19 people from an android to wp user... But i quit too......i am just Waiting for the official version to be sure......

I'm in till the wheels fall off. So you say you quit. Hey I understand if you have friends and you all tend to think alike, date the same kinds of women or the same woman, eat the same kind of food, etc. My friends only care if I answer my phone when they call or text me. We go out for beer, wings, football and phones kinda never come up as a topic of conversation. Well, not never but not usually. We don't sit around ogling each others home screens like that's some life altering en devour. A little too delightful for my crowd.

But I get it why you took off, you weren't happy. What I don't get is why you still come here? Shouldn't you be having some of that stimulating conversation over on android central? I mean, its sort of a morgue over there but, just curious.

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm in till the wheels fall off. So you say you quit. Hey I understand if you have friends and you all tend to think alike, date the same kinds of women or the same woman, eat the same kind of food, etc. My friends only care if I answer my phone when they call or text me. We go out for beer, wings, football and phones kinda never come up as a topic of conversation. Well, not never but not usually. We don't sit around ogling each others home screens like that's some life altering en devour. A little too delightful for my crowd.

But I get it why you took off, you weren't happy. What I don't get is why you still come here? Shouldn't you be having some of that stimulating conversation over on android central? I mean, its sort of a morgue over there but, just curious.
It Isnt that we do everything alike ,but the wp was a common point among us.....we all loved Tge way it was ,but msft screwed it....as i said i am waiting till the official realease of win 10 to be sure why i am leaving.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
It Isnt that we do everything alike ,but the wp was a common point among us.....we all loved Tge way it was ,but msft screwed it....as i said i am waiting till the official realease of win 10 to be sure why i am leaving.

I missed why it was being screwed by MS IMO. You don't like the way it is evolving? You don't like what exactly?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not abandoning Windows Phone, Microsoft is taking it away from me.

I think they want you to have it and you are talking selfish. If your phone is upgradable, you'll get it the upgrade for free. They are not even charging you for any of the development work going on.

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Can we please just stop acting like a mass of horribly treated, violated, victims of abuse that are the recipients of some sort of atrocity and hold off on whining and complaining until Windows 10 actually comes out?

Half this forum is doing the equivalent to going into a Ferrari or Lamborghini factory, looking at a car when it's still a husk, halfway to completion, and saying 'Nope, don't like it! This car has absolutely no chance to look and perform the way it should. I'm leaving!' and then storming out and then spewing endless negativity about the brand of car for the rest of eternity, even though the final product is a masterpiece, both in both visual aspect and performance.

This forum is becoming less and less bearable as it fills up with naysayers and negative, impatient types.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I think they want you to have it and you are talking selfish. If your phone is upgradable, you'll get it the upgrade for free. They are not even charging you for any of the development work going on.

Typical American thinking. Nothing is FREE. The carriers subsidize the phone putchase in return for a 2 year commitment to stay at your carrier. Just about everywhere else in the world we have to pay hundreds for a phone. If you think that means 'free' then your mistaken and a puppet of the carriers anyway.

"Charging for development work"? You actually think this is a good point? Who does that?

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Can we please just stop acting like a mass of horribly treated, violated, victims of abuse that are the recipients of some sort of atrocity and hold off on whining and complaining until Windows 10 actually comes out?

Half this forum is doing the equivalent to going into a Ferrari or Lamborghini factory, looking at a car when it's still a husk, halfway to completion, and saying 'Nope, don't like it! This car has absolutely no chance to look and perform the way it should. I'm leaving!' and then storming out and then spewing endless negativity about the brand of car for the rest of eternity, even though the final product is a masterpiece, both in both visual aspect and performance.

This forum is becoming less and less bearable as it fills up with naysayers and negative, impatient types.

as soon as I see that huge 12v engine and tons of electronics and carbon fiber parts I know that's gonna be a hell of a car, the same happens with wp10, I see what they are doing and... you telling me they are going to do a 180? turn when the time comes? lol

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site

I can agree with you to a point. I actually have no issues with new/evolved "look" of WP10. Things evolve, some ways of doing things change over time, So be it.

My quarrel and frustration with MS has to do with the discontinuing of what were, in my opinion (and Microsoft's too if you watch their marketing from WP7 time), key features to the way WP operated (People Hub, FB/Twitter integration into the OS, ext). My concern now is that MS is taking WP in a direction that is too similar to Andriod and iOS and that's an app centric model. You lose the consistancy in the way things work with this model. I'm not sure if you have experience with the fluidity and baked in integration of WP7/8.0, but it was wonderful to be able to see all of your FB and Twitter feeds in one place and post to them in the same spot via the People Hub. Sure it lacked all of the features of the app, bit that's not the point. It was very useful for 80% of my usage of FB and Twitter. I could use my tablet or laptop for the rest.

Also, MS has a history of discontinuing hardware and features with no backward compatibility, ie WP7 to 8 conversion. I was one of the ones stuck with a new Lumia 900 (which I loved by the way). This way of doing things works in the US and some other Western countries that rely on subsidies and a 2 year upgrade cycle. But for us in countries that pay hundreds for a phone, we'd like to see it last a few years without the worry of being left behind with old, nonupdated apps and features. Tech moves fast enough without having the powers-that-be build in planned obsolescence.

Anyway, rant over..cheers! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte