Windows 10 mobile - the ugliest future...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashokksridhar

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Well, Windows 10 Mobile is still in its developmental phase. Microsoft has been constantly listening to our queries and resolving it one by one. But there are some places where they aren't ready yet to compromise with their perspective.

baandoptager

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Everything Windows 10 mobile is ugly as sheeet!

Tell me this!? Whats the point of adding a wallpaper behind the tiles to a system, when you're gonna squeeze the tiles closer together anyway? Brilliant huh!?

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
I think this thread needs to be featured in an article on wincentral and ask more and more people to post their opinion about the topic.....

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Reading this thread makes me so ******* sad. Can we all stop behaving like the design change IS THE END OF THE ******* WORLD? It's different, yes. Is it better? That is up to you to decide. In my opinion, it looks better. I like the circles, I like the use of more white backgrounds, I like the hamburger menus. It's all personal preference. Is it similar to Android/iOS? Yes, it is, it's not as original as the old design. Is that necessarily a bad thing? Again, that is up to you to decide. Is it harder to use? Umm...is really an extra tap on the screen that big of a problem?

I PERSONALLY like the design direction they chose to go with. What I hope they focus on is functionality and stability. I want a fast, smooth and functional operating system. WP 8.1 feels limited to me, feels like a beta, like a part of something much bigger and better. And W10 seems like a giant step forward in that regard.

Unfortunately this nasty negative comments taints the entire blog. New ignore features would help.

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately this nasty negative comments taints the entire blog. New ignore features would help.
Enough of this FANBOYism ..cant you see where msft is Heading to? They have started ruining their design and there is no way you are gonna change their minds....

xibartx

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Enough of this FANBOYism ..cant you see where msft is Heading to? They have started ruining their design and there is no way you are gonna change their minds....

I like where Microsoft is taking this....there is no way YOU can change my mind if that is what you are trying to do (I am not sure of your agenda here at all).
How about enough of this ANTI-ism? I had no idea there were so many self professed design experts on the internet.

WPJanssen

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I stopped installing W10 previews on my 920. It's just unworkable. It makes me wonder if they use it themselves. On the other hand I respect the progress they make with W10 for desktop (tablet is still far behind) so I hope for the best.
My advise would be not to put too much effort in continuum because nobody is gonna use that.
(there is something strange in the strategy of Microsoft; on the one hand the focus is to have software work on as many platforms as possible, since everybody has a lot of devices, on the other hand they put effort in combining functionality in single devices like Surface and continuum.)

CheDragan

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
I don't - I think it's gorgeous :) no honestly, and pretty much everyone I was talking to on my side agrees, so I guess it depends, tastes differ. I like simple (modern) and I like the direction it's heading, and things will get settled eventually. Also I care more about the user-interface (how comfortable, intuitive etc.) than the design itself (icons and so on - but I'm a big fan of wireframes, XAML drawing). I do have a grudge about the Charms bar though, so I'm not completely happy, but I understand some decisions they made (given mobile, universal and continuum and all).

Narciso Neto

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
..cant you see where msft is Heading to? They have started ruining their design and there is no way you are gonna change their minds....

I think I'm going to say this again and again and...
W10 Mobile is an UNFINISHED PRODUCT. Look at Windows 10 for desktops, it started in a horrible way, everything was horrible and not polished. Look at it now, looking almost perfect and they heard almost all small tweaks request and added amazing new ones.

W10 mobile is not their work priority for now, when Windows 10 is ready they'll focus on:
1? Get new features working;
2? Optimize peformance;
3? Optimize and Refine UI.

By this time, we'll receive a lot of ugly UIs without animations and looking completely ugly. But They'll WORK ON THIS.
You just need to sit down, wait and not julge an unfinished product. Damn, sometimes I wish Microsoft would never released
insider previews, so we'll never had to see this kind of bullsh*t

syspry

May 5, 2015
Visit site
I think I'm going to say this again and again and...
W10 Mobile is an UNFINISHED PRODUCT. Look at Windows 10 for desktops, it started in a horrible way, everything was horrible and not polished. Look at it now, looking almost perfect and they heard almost all small tweaks request and added amazing new ones.

W10 mobile is not their work priority for now, when Windows 10 is ready they'll focus on:
1? Get new features working;
2? Optimize peformance;
3? Optimize and Refine UI.

By this time, we'll receive a lot of ugly UIs without animations and looking completely ugly. But They'll WORK ON THIS.
You just need to sit down, wait and not julge an unfinished product. Damn, sometimes I wish Microsoft would never released
insider previews, so we'll never had to see this kind of bullsh*t
Betcha case of beer it'll be how the final version looks?

todd7900

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I can't really comment on whether Win 10 mobile is ugly or not since I haven't installed it; but I would hope all the complainers here have made concise and specific comments on the Insider input. Otherwise it's just pointless ******** on a forum that has no influence on the future outcomes. I have installed the preview on a desktop and the progress in the UI and functionality have been pretty impressive, hopefully the progress will translate to mobile as time goes on.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I can't really comment on whether Win 10 mobile is ugly or not since I haven't installed it; but I would hope all the complainers here have made concise and specific comments on the Insider input. Otherwise it's just pointless ******** on a forum that has no influence on the future outcomes. I have installed the preview on a desktop and the progress in the UI and functionality have been pretty impressive, hopefully the progress will translate to mobile as time goes on.

It may of changed since I last successfully opened the insider feedback app, but much of the Insider comments were more on harmless UI aspects of WinMo 10 (Round profile pictures, for example) than the major aspects (Lack of pivot, for example). There was a lot for the hamburger distaste, though.

I personally find WinMo 10 disastrous as it currently lacks many of the features I used on a daily basis (Me tile, Integrated Social Networking, Photo Folder Albums, etc.), and the interface is much more polluted with 'chrome', as one may put it.

I've long said Microsoft gave up with the Metro design principles (fluid, clean, content-focused, chrome-light) around Windows 8, and Windows 10 is making that clear for me. While I cannot speak for the market as a whole (as maybe a majority of those flocking to the OS from Android and iOS like these new changes), I can say without a doubt that the UI of WinMo 10 is quite awful for my tastes.

For instance, I honestly loved the old Settings menu design, with each title having darker, smaller text bellow it detailing the options contents; Granted, it needed to be categorized (hard to find much without scrolling), but it was clean and efficient. I also enjoyed the old app bar, as I could drag my thumb up in a forward movement to open the menu, and the icons looked like buttons, giving a clear area I needed to touch; The new app bar requires me to tap, not drag, the ellipsis, which has become quite jarring for me, and I always worry I will mis-tap the wrong icon.

I also take general issue with the added chrome of unnecessary icons and headers (a contact's name now takes up 2x the space in a messaging chat), as well as the interface scheme in general (it looks too much like Android ICS' "Holo UI", sans the blue font). Strange though that the design really feels different from Windows 10 itself, aside from the icons. Perhaps the design just feels different on a PC, though. Speaking of which, the Cortana UI in general is even strange. It feels like each "section" of the interests she pulls is a piece of paper overlaid atop the ui, and it once more is a jarring experience. The WinPho 8.1 Interface was much cleaner and stylish, and honestly fits in more with some of the new Windows 10 design elements than the Windows 10 UI for her.

Overall the experience really screams late 2011 Android, and lacks many of the enjoyable functions and elements that were the reason I chose Windows Phone in the first place.

I bought a 635 recently as I was in desperate need of an LTE device, but I can say for certain that unless Microsoft scraps the current designs in favor of something better, then my next phone is going to be of the Moto line of devices. Material Design really feels like Metro design reincarnate, and Microsoft has stated the Cortana shall eventually be coming to the platform, so there is not much to keep me on the Windows bandwagon.

And I highly doubt Microsoft is going to make a U-turn this late in development. Even with WinMo 10 having a later slated release date from the Summer launch of Windows 10, it's still due sometime this year (afaik), and considering the enormous design changes made already, I feel it is unlikely they will undo all that work.

These are just the personal opinions of an "armchair designer", but none the less, I feel many agree with what I said, mainly those being early adopters of the Windows Phone operating system (during both it's 7.x and 8.0 days).

Random thought, but maybe Microsoft will finally offer enough APIs that the original experience of Windows Phone 8.1 can be duplicated for some functions (Messaging, Mail, People, etc.)? At least the third party developers could then give those who admire the Metro design language something to work with. Perhaps they could even improve on the original experiences?

Narciso Neto

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Betcha case of beer it'll be how the final version looks?

Yes, it will.. but they will make refinements to make it look better, that's what i'm talking about. And even if it change, that's good. Microsoft needs to change Windows (Phone) if they want to get new people using. How could they adverstise it as "The new Windows 10 for phones" if it looks the same thing as 8.1?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Its like Stockholm Syndrome with you. You don't like it but yet, you're here. Just go and begin your new android adventures.

For the record,
I'm a fan. Big fan. I didn't get in this because I needed an alternative to android or IOS. I'm here because I want to be and don't see a reason to switch. Moreover and like any other technology it is evolving. I like where its heading but.your feelings are hurt because of a phone and there is something truly curious that a thing could affect you like that.

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
I like where Microsoft is taking this....there is no way YOU can change my mind if that is what you are trying to do (I am not sure of your agenda here at all).
How about enough of this ANTI-ism? I had no idea there were so many self professed design experts on the internet.
The same theory applies on you TOO.....everyone comments about anything on their personal preference and as far as antiism is concerned, the forums are made for discussions..and thats what happpening here.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The same theory applies on you TOO.....everyone comments about anything on their personal preference and as far as antiism is concerned, the forums are made for discussions..and thats what happpening here.

Everyone except for you and a couple others. To discuss design differences and direction is one thing but you've already left the platform, your words. But yet, you're still around attempting to persuade and discourage others into believing as you do. We are so much smarter than you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss