Branding of Windows phones - is "Microsoft" really the best choice?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Branding of Windows phones - is "Microsoft" the best choice?

My family thinks we all have "Cricket" phones because I made everyone switch carriers from Verizon. People don't know what the hell they're talking about. I tell my kids they're windows phones but they don't understand.

This is what $300k in college education(s) will get you folks.

I bet most people don't have a clue what OS their phone is running.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
For me, Windows logo is the only real way to go.
The Microsoft name/branding isn't hip enough these days, and the logo never excited.
Lumia rhymes with gloomier, and I just can't get with that.
windows is a recognised brand with an evolving logo in a square shape ideal for Start buttons, logos etc.

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I do like the Microsoft branding on my 640 and the Windows branding on the cover.I think it looks pretty professional.Microsoft is one of the biggest computing organisations in the world,nothing to be ashamed of

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I love my 625 back cover. It stated Nokia in white on white background but in different contrast.

But new phone always welcome. Since I don't think this phone will work forever

sst154

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Also, I think that the "problem" is not Microsoft branding per se, but Microsoft branding replacing NOKIA, the most important and recognizable phone brand ever for many people.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Also, I think that the "problem" is not Microsoft branding per se, but Microsoft branding replacing NOKIA, the most important and recognizable phone brand ever for many people.

I think there is a problem, otherwise "Microsoft" would be running away with the votes here. Instead, there's a clear lead for another manufacturer's model name combined with the most anonymous of MS glyphs.

I hope this changes, I really do. I hope Win10 transforms opinion on Microsoft's image, but the fact is there isn't a fraction of the pride you see among, say, Apple's userbase over displaying the logo and name as there is among MS's userbase. We might love our computers and favour Windows, but not enough of us would be happy to have MS's name written boldly across our most personal piece of technology.

MoshMast

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I've actually thought about this quite a bit since they purchased Nokia and started moving over to Microsoft Lumia for the 1st party phones. I've concluded that though I may prefer it one way or the other, it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things as long as they pick something and stay consistent.

The hardware/software and what it brings to the table is really the important part here. When the iPhone launched, that term meant absolutely nothing but it is now a household name and everyone on earth knows what that means. Hell, some people even refer to smartphones and tablets as iPhones and iPads regardless of what operating system they're running or who makes it. Samsung introduced the Galaxy brand years ago and it owns a huge chunk of the market now after years of building that brand.

No one likes the Nokia brand because the name sounds cool or reminds them of Finland's marvelous landscape. They like it because it represents years of success in the phone market and is a developed brand. Microsoft can call their phones anything they want as long as they have the product to back it up and positively grow the public's perception of it.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft - screams "me too! " ... but older, and slower, and less cool than everyone else at the party.

Lumia - confusion between "light" or "something foreign" comes to mind. i would expect to see it on something at peir1 that wasn't extraordinary.

Surface - OK, like a table or bench? what are you selling here , glass cook tops, furniture, or ???

Windows Phone- OK, got it. it runs Windows like a PC, but on a phone? cool! wait, not the same windows, but close ? ....

as awesome as hardware is today, Microsoft really needs to back away from the corporate-brandit-label-making-oh-and-please-tie-in-office -machine for a while, and let some designers have the reins.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site

I agree, but not in the phone world.

As technology penetrates in every aspect of life, it's better to use a brand that represent that wide view of technology.
In a few years the phone will be a small part of the consumer ecosystem, and not the most exciting part.

Microsoft will rise or fall as a consumer technology brand as a whole.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I think the grand idea is to tie the phones more closely to the whole Microsoft ecosystem--you know, seamless computing experience across all devices. The only unifying word that does that is Microsoft, for good or bad. They want you to think of the software experience, not the device you are using. The problem they are encountering is that a lot of people are into devices. They like to hold them, fondle them, customize them, and think theirs is better than someone else's. I suspect there is a bit of primitive DNA in us somewhere that encourages this. I picture some cave man finding the perfect throwing rock or making the best flint spear points and proudly carrying them around with his own personal mark on them. It is the same with phones. Half of us carry them in our hands in front of our faces as we walk around, so the back logo brands us as we venture through the world. Just like we form an instant opinion by the T-shirt someone is wearing we might judge them by the phone they are carrying. My wife and I used to work trade shows where we met and talked to thousands of people a day. We began to play a game where we would predict what the people would say, what they owned, what they were like just from the way they looked before they arrived at our booth. We were often dead on the mark, though there are enough outliers to make you realize that not everyone looks the part.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Just a Windows logo would be nice. It has simplicity and recognizability. And as much as I hate the "it works for Apple" argument on UI, in this realm simply and recognizable has done wonders for the Apple brand. How many stupid apple logos are running around on people's vehicles?

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Just a Windows logo would be nice. It has simplicity and recognizability. And as much as I hate the "it works for Apple" argument on UI, in this realm simply and recognizable has done wonders for the Apple brand. How many stupid apple logos are running around on people's vehicles?

It's an odd thing that I think we'd all secretly prefer the Windows logo to anything else, just because it's missable. The word "Microsoft" is shouting much louder than I'd like it to on the new phones.

And I think that's fair enough. I'm not a Microsoft fan, and I don't think there's any corporation of which I could be a fan (and if I was that kind of person, I'd probably just get an iPhone and be done with it). I use Windows as my favoured OS from the very limited options available to me, and it does the job. That's the limit of my engagement. Microsoft isn't going to do itself or me any favours by making too much of its name on my next device.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I knew someone (now deceased) who refused to wear any logo wear clothing. His argument was simple. "They aren't paying me to advertise their product, so why should I?" I will personally always plop my phone nearly instantly into a protective case of some sort, and I seek out ones without logos in flat black or dark gray. It is mostly for the protection, but partly for the camouflage effect. I'd rather someone not be able to tell if I am carrying a $600 phone or a $60 one.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I knew someone (now deceased) who refused to wear any logo wear clothing. His argument was simple. "They aren't paying me to advertise their product, so why should I?"

That reminds me of someone I know who used to own big trucks. When installing mudflaps, he'd turn the logo/writing inside towards the tires if he paid for the mudflaps, but he'd turn it out so it was visible if the business gave him to mudflaps for free. He used the same reasoning.

I'd like to see a Windows logo on Windows Phones, and nothing else. I personally like the level of branding Apple uses. It's enough to let you know who built it, but yet not intrusive. I also like how Apple does not allow carrier branding.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Lumia on the top, with the speaker grill and Windows logo on the back. I agree, Microsoft is a long word that shouldn't be put in the front because it distracts from the minimalist design.

FobiddenRiceman

May 22, 2015
Visit site

Here's something that might be interesting: the GrabTaxi app is quite popular where I live, but it is not available in Windows Phone so I resort to the other taxi app, EasyTaxi. Whenever a taxi driver asks why I didn't use GrabTaxi, I tell them because it's not available for my phone. Then they ask me what phone I have or what brand to that effect.

Back then when I had the L535, I'll tell them, "Microsoft" while showing them the logo and that would either be followed by questions such as "Really?", "Isn't that the computer?", "Is that Android?", "Is that iOS?" or by several moments of silence and distant glances...

But when I've got my L1020, I'll tell them, "Nokia" and that would immediately be followed by comments such as "Really? The Nokia brand is indeed good and reliable." - didn't even have to show them the logo.

could have said windows phone

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I think the logo and Lumia is enough. We don' want people prejudging the product before they even pick it up to play with it. There are too many negative opinions from people who are just no in the know.

Take the "How Old" website that became a huge viral hit. If everyone knew up front that it was a Microsoft product - say, having the logo at the top instead of the bottom, it may not have gone viral. All because seeing a Microsoft name would be enough to turn away some folks. I did enjoy rubbing it in my Mac friend's face that they were enjoying a MS product. They didn't realize it because they played with it on their iPhone and the Microsoft name was below the fold - invisible to their casual use. :devil:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans