W10 - Musician Friendly?

TheFunMachine

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I've read that WP8 is pretty bad when it comes to low latency audio, does anyone know if W10 will improve on this aspect? I would really like an app for my Lumia that is as good as, if not better, than GarageBand and I imagine this would be the biggest obstacle in getting any app like that.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I have to ask: you wanna produce music with your phone?

It can be done. I used to use Beatmaker with my 1st-gen iPod Touch to make ideas when I was away from home: load it up with my own sounds, make ideas while having a coffee, come back later and export the ideas to my main computer.

@TheFunMachine - Universal apps should make this eminently possible, but I wouldn't do full production on a phone in any case. Monitor speakers behave completely differently to headphones and you experience the sound in a different way, so it would be very hard to balance a mix so that it would translate to all set-ups. For basic recording, arrangement, idea-sketching, even some effects: yes, modern phones are capable of all of that, and I wouldn't expect latency to be an issue at all. We can't know until we see new phones and new apps of course, so don't take this as a fact, but I'd be amazed if this kind of thing wasn't a priority. Music is a computing activity which especially lends itself to mobile work, and it made a great advert for the iPhone and iPad that they had Beatmaker, Guitar Rig, Lemur etc running via their hardware.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I remember wanting the iPhone using the iRig and what not. It's definitely handy to get your ideas down, but I don't think it's required by any means. Most of the time I just hum and that will typically get my "idea" down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel