When Will The W10TP be Stable Enough for Our Main Devices??

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
When will the Windows 10 Technical preview for phones be stable/safe enough for us to use on our primary devices.. I understand there will be occasional bugs, jitters, etc all the way until the final version/RTM,
but how much longer do you think it'll be before I can install it and not worry about bricking my device, or any other issues that critically stunt the usage and reliability of the phone?

Last edited:

kklemn

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
The next one is said to be quite more stable than the 10080. it's also a jump to more than 10134, so it should be quite a leap! :) however, wait for reviews.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
We're just under two months from the RTM of W10PC, and I still don't feel comfortable using it as my primary OS...I'm guessing it'll be a good long while before W10M is ready for every day use.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I would say the next build released to the slow ring will be fairly stable, also the next fast ring release should be quite a bit better than the current build available.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I know its stupid but I've been running TP on my main computer for a few builds now (crossing fingers) and so far, so good. Minor stuff but nothing that effected my work flow.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
General Availability is give or take 52 days away - less than two months so I would emphasis what xandros9 said. For some it has been plain sailing and for others there have been issues. This is due to the insane number of combinations of hardware Windows is being used up on.

However I would exercise caution if your upgrading your main PC on release day - back everything up and clone the entire hdd as a fail safe.

The technical preview for me has not been smooth and I'm dual booting, if I wasn't I would have lost quite a bit of data and time - reinstalling Windows 7 + setting everything up again.

Edit: Oh I see, the OP is talking about phones not PC's - my bad (I blame etphoto! :winktongue: )-
I know its stupid but I've been running TP on my main computer for a few builds now
- had the grave yard shift again :grincry:. For phones the situation is no better, in fact it is worse. The release of phones would most likely more be than two months out given the preview for phones started later and the build we got was no where near what MS had on show. So therefore I imagine they are much more further along however they are drip feeding (not using the the term - "dog fooding" - as some can easily misinterpret that lol) to gauge what users reactions are and incorporate feedback.

Last edited:

jesusfreak420

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
There are definitely still some bugs that need ironing out, but I have been using Windows 10 TP on both my Lumia 1020 and Lumia 1520 (as well as Surface Pro 3) for several months now. Honesty I'm very impressed. My 1520 is with me every second of the day and there's nothing I can't do (except download music) that I couldn't when using Windows Phone 8. If you're eager to give W10 TP a try, it's probably best wait for the next build, but I'm sure you'll be impressed with what you see. Microsoft have done a great job. 😊

Nightwolf88

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
I know its stupid but I've been running TP on my main computer for a few builds now (crossing fingers) and so far, so good. Minor stuff but nothing that effected my work flow.

Yes me to, running the TP since 9926 or something like that. The progress was nice to see. And the last build is very good (10130).
But i think the people here are talking about the mobile version :)

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
There are definitely still some bugs that need ironing out, but I have been using Windows 10 TP on both my Lumia 1020 and Lumia 1520 (as well as Surface Pro 3) for several months now. Honesty I'm very impressed. My 1520 is with me every second of the day and there's nothing I can't do (except download music) that I couldn't when using Windows Phone 8. If you're eager to give W10 TP a try, it's probably best wait for the next build, but I'm sure you'll be impressed with what you see. Microsoft have done a great job. ��

You are brave. Build 10080 (or whatever the most recent Fast Ring version was last week) was such a mess on both a 1320 and a 635 in my office that is going nowhere near my 1520. It killed USB Data access on the 1320 and nearly bricked the 635.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I've been running the TP for PC since the first build. It took three builds for my thoughts of rolling back to be totally gone. That said there has been a lot more time in between builds on phone vs pc so you could be looking at a dramatic change in stability in the next phone build. Just back everything up (which you should be doing anyway) and give it a shot. If you don't like it, rollback to 8.1. No harm no foul. An OS cannot brick a phone :asleep:

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I've been running the TP for PC since the first build. It took three builds for my thoughts of rolling back to be totally gone. That said there has been a lot more time in between builds on phone vs pc so you could be looking at a dramatic change in stability in the next phone build. Just back everything up (which you should be doing anyway) and give it a shot. If you don't like it, rollback to 8.1. No harm no foul. An OS cannot brick a phone :asleep:

An OS cant brick a phone?? Many people here have reported the opposite... I've wanted to try the TP for just a day or two, and then roll back, but the stories of phones being bricked stopped me

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss