Why some tiles are colorized, why not transparent ?

MysticForce

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I was wondering for a long time, why some tiles are colorized and others not.
I guess some apps makers such as Viber wants to be different and easy found on the screen but on Windows 10 this will be a problem since there is a background image and colorized tile will look ugly. It is ugly on WP8.1 too.

What we could do with this is there some petition?
All apps must create option to choose if you want colorized or no background. Microsoft must force this.

Tell me your opinions and what you think that we could do ?

spch

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
MS cannot force an app developer to do anything except keep within the agreement they signed.

If transparent tiles are an option for the developer than that's what they are. It's up to the developer to decide if they want to make one, not MS.

If you want transparent tiles than use an app - https://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/search?q=transparent tiles maker

True true, but MS can let users use a custom .png file as live tile/app icon like we can do in Windows PC OS. MS needs to allow more customizations to that OS. And the worse of these are Lumia camera apps and their god-awful violet colour.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
True true, but MS can let users use a custom .png file as live tile/app icon like we can do in Windows PC OS. MS needs to allow more customizations to that OS. And the worse of these are Lumia camera apps and their god-awful violet colour.

Let's see what W10 brings. This is a phone not a desktop OS we're talking about. The background image was never a consideration when they made the phone OS.

I wouldn't expect everything at once either. Also those apps for transparent tiles do the trick for now.

MysticForce

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
MS cannot force an app developer to do anything except keep within the agreement they signed.

If transparent tiles are an option for the developer than that's what they are. It's up to the developer to decide if they want to make one, not MS.

If you want transparent tiles than use an app - https://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/search?q=transparent tiles maker

Applications for transparent tiles are not working always ok. For twitter there is a issue so the application is not started for the first time, so you need to clik again on tile every time.
Viber transparent icon is not working, It is saying that I have to update viber, each time and that is not true. Also battery usage of application is bigger, but that is not problem for me.

I tried all applications with transparent tiles pack and viber is not working ok on any of them.

Last edited:

Vasrias

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I totally agree with you. I hated this colored tiles since the introduction of transparent tiles and always wondered, why some apps just can't make their tiles transparent. I want to see my background image and not a Patchwork. I really hope MS is doing something or the app developers eventually realize that we want OUR Background on the screen and not an ugly Color mix....

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Unless there's a mandatory requirement to include a transparent png, I'm not sure there's anything that can be done. The ideal would be an option to switch alongside a solid colour tile but apps like Facebook, trade on their famous blue background and I can't see that changing for anyone. Actually, if all my tiles were transparent, although it might look pretty from a background picture art viewpoint, some tiles would get lost and I'd end up scrolling a lot more. The injection of solid colour in some tiles, focuses the eye more easily and actually helps with navigation. For that reason, for some apps, I'm glad they're not transparent.

MysticForce

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
I guess developers would be pissed of if MCSFT is requesting transparent tile. MCSFT is not in good position to request something because WP has small number of users.

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
It might sound strange/picky, but aside from Outlook itself I don't allow any tiles on my main screen unless they support transparency. Even then, I leave Outlook hanging off the bottom of the screen (i.e. scroll down to get to it).

crunchbangyou

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
It is something I do as well. I hate usinf thrid party apps to make apps transparent. Instead, I put original transparent apps on top so that my wallpaper is apparent and rest of the non transparent ugly violet color apps go to the rock bottom.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
yea leave it to the developers, usual microsoft propaganda, then see the results

what they could do is make the tittles a grayscale and force PNG transparency on them as soon as you set a wallpaper and the app doesn't have the ideal icon, yea that may not look optimal in some cases, but a random magenta tile in the middle of your black-green styled startscreen looks even worse

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire