Error downloading speech languages

Moises N G

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Finally a solution worked for me (after trying to do it sometimes). I had to downgrade to Windows 8.1, set the Language, Keyboard and Region and install Languages I wanted. After I installed the Windows Insider app and got Cortana. Only after that I upgraded to Windows 10.

shinsenai

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm having this issue on a brand new 950 XL. It comes with build 10586 preinstalled and Windows Insider seems not to be active for the 950/950XL for the moment according to a post by Gabe Aul. So I guess I'm stuck with an English US system, French speech and no Cortana.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm having this issue on a brand new 950 XL. It comes with build 10586 preinstalled and Windows Insider seems not to be active for the 950/950XL for the moment according to a post by Gabe Aul. So I guess I'm stuck with an English US system, French speech and no Cortana.

Why? It's a normal build however (only blocked to .00 instead of .11 of Fast Ring), you can change settings as you like

gjain

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I just got the 950 and trying to install the English (US) and getting the same error. Any work around to the problem? Can't use Cortana. I prefer the US Cortana hence I changed my region to US instead of India and need the English (US) speech to get it working.

andyqkw

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I already tried to change the language, delete the US language and then tried to install it as a bundle. Didn't work either.
Thank you for your help!!

How do you delete the language?

I had Spanish (Spain) installed by default and coundn't find a way to delete it.

Last edited:

ph360

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Same error here. I've just buy a Lumia 950 and cant change de voice language to spanish, and instead, i cant use cortana

Help

harbjn

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Every user has to download the speech language on their phone depending upon the country in which they leave. To know more google select speech language windows phone.

Ben Palmer

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
950 XL. Same problem here. It worked when I initially set my phone up. Then after a factory reset, phone came up with French speech installed although I had set all initial parameters to US. Unable to install US English speech.

andyqkw

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
950 XL. Same problem here. It worked when I initially set my phone up. Then after a factory reset, phone came up with French speech installed although I had set all initial parameters to US. Unable to install US English speech.

I've got Spanish (Spain) installed by default on my Lumia 950 and there is no way of uninstalling it...

BB_Nicky86

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 640 XL Dual Sim, i'm on 10586.122 and i've tried all mentioned above except for reverting back to 8.1 and i cannot download the Canadian speech or keyboard options. They continue to fail. I changed to slow ring and now there is an update to 10586.164 fingers crossed this update fixes that problem.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 640 XL Dual Sim, i'm on 10586.122 and i've tried all mentioned above except for reverting back to 8.1 and i cannot download the Canadian speech or keyboard options. They continue to fail. I changed to slow ring and now there is an update to 10586.164 fingers crossed this update fixes that problem.

Try removin 2nd sim

Gwenddoleu

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here. I just made a clean total reinstall (WDRT->8.1->10). I have the .164 version. No way to download a language pack (I reinstall the insider app but didn't help). Always the same error 0x80070020.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Same on my girlfriend's 640 after updating to W10M production. Can't get Spanish voice. Is it something that will be available later, like happened for Insider builds back then?

BobSacamano96

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Same issue here on a recently upgraded Lumia 930. It simply says Downloading under the language pack. Its been like that for 2 days.

..argh! I can't enable Quiet Hours without Cortana working. Plus I lost notifications of new Email messages. WTH!:eck:

BobSacamano96

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Hey just a quick note for anyone else. I downloaded and installed Windows Insider and went through the setup. Once finished it said my phone had a language update and needed a restart. It went through the update sequence (about 20mins). When complete I could select my new language as default and finish the setup of Cortana. FYI - Reminder this is a Lumia 930.

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
I've gone the 8.1 -> W10M insider preview route twice on my L1320. In both cases, I could not load Canadian keyboard or speech options after getting to W10M without getting error downloading or such messages. In both cases, after a hard reset, I could select the proper language and keyboard and the phone then went to update notification that language packs were ready to be installed. After update, things worked fine.

tl;dr version: upgrade to W10M from 8.1 problematic. Hard reset AFTER getting to W10M fixes all (at least for the language issue!)

vt12

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Same issue here on a recently upgraded Lumia 930. It simply says Downloading under the language pack. Its been like that for 2 days.

..argh! I can't enable Quiet Hours without Cortana working. Plus I lost notifications of new Email messages. WTH!:eck:

I figured it out. Update your phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12