I am getting a REALLY sick feeling about hands free texting in WM10, anyone else?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I am getting a REALLY sick feeling about hands free texting in WM10

I know that's not a question. The question would be should I switch to iPhone or Android if I'm right.

I put up with the lack of apps because WP (now WM) makes up for that in other areas.

An absolutely deal breaker/maker is the ability to receive and send texts totally hands free.

I don't even remember the last time I opened the messaging app. Most texts I receive arrive when my phone is sitting on a table or in my pocket while I'm driving.

In the car, WP8 pauses whatever is playing on the car's infotainment system and tells me I have a text from xxxxx. Then it reads the text to me and asks if I want to dictate an answer. All via the car's speakers and microphone. I don't have to do anything but listen and speak,

I have converted many serious iPhone and Android users to WP for that ability alone. Car makers are even adding apps to newer cars to allow iPhones and Androids to do what WP can do all by itself.

Its pretty much the same with the phone sitting on a table (or even in my pocket). I tell the phone to read me the text and dictate any response without having to walk over to the phone or take it out of my pockets. I even initiate texts verbally via the Cortana phone number when in the car or "Hey Cortana" when the phone is out of reach.

I tried an earlier version of WM10 on a spare L635 and had to roll back because I couldn't find any way to do this. I assumed it was just a glitch in an early beta.

Fast forward and I installed the latest release on a 1520.3 and guess what? I still can't find a way to handle texts completely hand-free.

Both times I went thru every possible setting I could find, no matter how unrelated it would appear to be.

I absolutely can not believe that MS would intentionally screw up such a powerful feature and one people on competing platforms literally drool over when they see it.

So how do I turn this on in WM10? In WP8.x it's controlled by a setting called speech.

If its gone. So am I.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: I am getting a REALLY sick feeling about hands free texting in WM10

You do know this is still fast from the final version right? Just leave feed back for them to add the functionality back

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Was 8.1 able to do this ? I think so as I did that on my 930. But as far as the newer builds..idk.

Also, did anyone notice the dictating microphone that appears on every instance where you have to type something, giving you the option to speak your words into text, is now gone in this build ?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

If you had read the important info that went along with the early 10 builds, they would've said that Cortana (which powered hands-free texts in 8.1, which DOES work in 8.1 - I actually didn't know 8.0 did it) and Bluetooth stuff was completely ripped out.

Windows 10 isn't finished, they won't lose such an important feature. But stuff hasn't been done, completely installed, etc.
YES, it was intentional. Is it coming back? I'd bet a phone on that.

I don't know what to tell you other than wait for something finished so you can then pass down doom-and-gloom stuff.

Now, I can't speak for the newest build so I don't know. Someone more knowledgeable will be along.

NXTwoThou

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site

That's the same feeling I got when I lost my ability to do it with MSN Messenger, then Facebook, now texts. Each new version, I get further and further away from the things that made WP really useful.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

If you had read the important info that went along with the early 10 builds, they would've said that Cortana (which powered hands-free texts in 8.1, which DOES work in 8.1 - I actually didn't know 8.0 did it) and Bluetooth stuff was completely ripped out.

Windows 10 isn't finished, they won't lose such an important feature. But stuff hasn't been done, completely installed, etc.
YES, it was intentional. Is it coming back? I'd bet a phone on that.

I don't know what to tell you other than wait for something finished so you can then pass down doom-and-gloom stuff.

Now, I can't speak for the newest build so I don't know. Someone more knowledgeable will be along.

I recall them saying something along those lines a while back and that Bluetooth was being redone and incomplete.

So far advanced audio playback (track info and controls) have not functioned for me in my car. All that passes through is audio but it isn't hands free. The functionality did work in 8.1.

clechner77

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
To enable speech input (return the microphone for voice input on the keyboard)

1. Enable Cortana (this should enable SPEECH, INKING & TYPING)
  2. Go to SETTINGS
  3. Go to TIME & LANGUAGE
  4. Choose KEYBOARD
  5. MORE KEYBOARD SETTINGS
  6. Touch SHOW THE DICTATION BUTTON

BTW, this is a really solid build and finally and is starting to feel polished. There's still quite a few little things but it feels like it's coming together finally. I really missed 8.1 but the new builds are feeling like a very very robust build that can do just about everything that every other mobile OS can (and more).

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
To enable speech input (return the microphone for voice input on the keyboard)

1. Enable Cortana (this should enable SPEECH, INKING & TYPING)
  2. Go to SETTINGS
  3. Go to TIME & LANGUAGE
  4. Choose KEYBOARD
  5. MORE KEYBOARD SETTINGS
  6. Touch SHOW THE DICTATION BUTTON

BTW, this is a really solid build and finally and is starting to feel polished. There's still quite a few little things but it feels like it's coming together finally. I really missed 8.1 but the new builds are feeling like a very very robust build that can do just about everything that every other mobile OS can (and more).

I figured that out yesterday, and it's great to have the dictation back. However, I still can't do it hands free either. I have to grab the phone and fiddle with it, which is against the law in my state. Not allowed to handle the phone while driving. Has to be hands free, and that is no longer available. Deal breaker for me. I know that Microsoft is working on it, but I thought this part would be ready by now as close as we are getting.

No notifications for incoming texts at times, then at other times, Cortana gets stuck in an endless loop notifying me of the same blasted text over and over and over and over and she won't shut up until I do a soft reset. ?!? Overall, I'm liking the direction they are taking things, but so much is broken still, which is expected. I wouldn't move into a house until it was finished, so the same, I can't use this as my daily driver until finished, just like Microsoft says.

clechner77

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Interestingly enough for me, having the dictation button ALWAYS on the keyboard, is actually enough me to use my W10 phone for everything, even with the bugs and few rough edges. Should have been included a LOOOOONG time ago.

GhostITMG

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
This feature has been on for me by default. When I'm in my car and a text comes in, Cortana interrupts whatever entertainment I'm involved in and tells me I have a text from so and so, hen asks me if I want her to read it or not. I tell her yes and then, well, sometimes she does and sometimes she skips right to the part where she asks me if I want to respond or if I'm done. Even though I'm on 10136, there are still a LOT of issues on my 1020. So I'm assuming the lack of polish here is just due to my phone. Clearly the feature is still there and not being forgotten.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Clearly the feature is still there and not being forgotten.
Maybe you didn't read any prior post but it it is NOT clear the feature is still there. Its not there on my 1520.3 and many other post but yours confirms that and predicting MS will eventually get around to it.

UptownWebhead

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

OP, remember, Windows 10 Mobile is still quite a long ways off until it's ready for release. Be patient. If you want to avoid losing such functionality, stick with WP8.1. Windows 10 TP is not meant for daily use. I currently have it installed on Lumia 435 just to test out the new builds.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I know that's not a question. The question would be should I switch to iPhone or Android if I'm right.

I put up with the lack of apps because WP (now WM) makes up for that in other areas.

An absolutely deal breaker/maker is the ability to receive and send texts totally hands free.

I don't even remember the last time I opened the messaging app. Most texts I receive arrive when my phone is sitting on a table or in my pocket while I'm driving.

In the car, WP8 pauses whatever is playing on the car's infotainment system and tells me I have a text from xxxxx. Then it reads the text to me and asks if I want to dictate an answer. All via the car's speakers and microphone. I don't have to do anything but listen and speak,

I have converted many serious iPhone and Android users to WP for that ability alone. Car makers are even adding apps to newer cars to allow iPhones and Androids to do what WP can do all by itself.

Its pretty much the same with the phone sitting on a table (or even in my pocket). I tell the phone to read me the text and dictate any response without having to walk over to the phone or take it out of my pockets. I even initiate texts verbally via the Cortana phone number when in the car or "Hey Cortana" when the phone is out of reach.

I tried an earlier version of WM10 on a spare L635 and had to roll back because I couldn't find any way to do this. I assumed it was just a glitch in an early beta.

Fast forward and I installed the latest release on a 1520.3 and guess what? I still can't find a way to handle texts completely hand-free.

Both times I went thru every possible setting I could find, no matter how unrelated it would appear to be.

I absolutely can not believe that MS would intentionally screw up such a powerful feature and one people on competing platforms literally drool over when they see it.

So how do I turn this on in WM10? In WP8.x it's controlled by a setting called speech.

If its gone. So am I.

You should probably go.

You seem more suited to iPhone.

Windows 10 Mobile Technical Preview... is not even a beta at this point, there are dozens of missing features and probably hundreds of bugs still in these builds.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Who knows how close we are getting? RTM could still be 6 months away for all we know.

Microsoft has already announced October for the release for phones. They said it could be as early as late September. So... that's who knows. Within 4 months at least.

GhostITMG

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I found the setting for it. It's in Cortana's Notebook. Go to Search, then Notebook, then Settings. "Read incoming text messages aloud" is about 2/3rds of the way down the page.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I figured that out yesterday, and it's great to have the dictation back. However, I still can't do it hands free either. I have to grab the phone and fiddle with it, which is against the law in my state. Not allowed to handle the phone while driving. Has to be hands free, and that is no longer available. Deal breaker for me. I know that Microsoft is working on it, but I thought this part would be ready by now as close as we are getting.

Close to RTM? Maybe for PC the end of this month. For Mobile its going to probably late October so there's plenty of time to get the hands free back up.

No notifications for incoming texts at times, then at other times, Cortana gets stuck in an endless loop notifying me of the same blasted text over and over and over and over and she won't shut up until I do a soft reset. ?!? Overall, I'm liking the direction they are taking things, but so much is broken still, which is expected. I wouldn't move into a house until it was finished, so the same, I can't use this as my daily driver until finished, just like Microsoft says.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa