{SOLVED w/Reflash} Need Some Expert Help - Can't Roll back to 8.1 using WPRT/LumiaRT

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
First off, Here is my post to the Windows Insider Community site (w/screenshots). I haven't got a solution yet..

Can't Roll Back to 8.1 - WPRT says Software failed to install. - Microsoft Community

I have a Global Non-Carrier branded (CV-GB) UK version L920 that I have upgraded to W10TP 10080 and want to roll back to 8.1. I am in Viet Nam. (Region issue?). I have found 10080 too raw and buggy for my daily driver (yeah, I know..not supposed to use my DD) but can't get the WPRT or the Lumia Recover Software to work.

Here's what happens and what I have tried.

Both the WPRT and LRT find my 920 but say " There is no package available". I then select "Didn't discover my phone" , do a POWER + VOL DOWN on the 920 and it finds my phone AND software to install. I click INSTALL, It tells me It'll take 15+ minutes, make sure my batt is 25%+, it then attempts to install the software but errors out quickly. Says "Error trying to download". This is on the WPRT. When I use the Lumia Recover Software it does about the same but gives me error 0x80131500.

I have tried it many times. I have soft and hard reset my phone. Uninstalled and reinstalled both software tools, Turned off my firewall and anti virus. Cleared cache on my laptop. I have a good wifi connection.

​I have run out of ideas.....Any suggestions?

Last edited:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Need Some Expert Help - Can't Roll back to 8.1 using WPRT/LumiaRT

Try using a friends laptop and try with a different usb cable (small things, but some people swear that they work lol)

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site

Try using a friends laptop and try with a different usb cable (small things, but some people swear that they work lol)

Tried a different USB cable and ports....no luck....same.

Crimsonrellik

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site

Just a thought, don't know if it is an issue, but maybe check to make sure your phone has plenty of extra storage space.
Maybe the install files take some free space on the phone prior to install.
Also be sure that you have restarted your laptop since installing the WPRT software.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site

Thanks, But Ive got 22GB available and I did restart the laptop after the reinstall...

netmann

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

So tell us what happens to the screen when you use soft reset.....settings > about > reset your phone or,
when you hard reset using phone buttons.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
So tell us what happens to the screen when you use soft reset.....settings > about > reset your phone or,
when you hard reset using phone buttons.

See my above original post for a link to the screenshots

By the way , you've got it backwards. A Soft Reset is done by pressing the POWER + VOL DOWN buttons until the phone vibrates (about 15 sec). A HARD Reset is under Settings>About > Reset your phone.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Last edited:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

Use the button combo to hard reset instead

netmann

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

See my above original post for a link to the screenshots

No, the screen shot belongs to Windows Phone and Lumia Software Recovery Tools not to the phone reset. When you button hard reset your phone send us the screen shots. Use another phone or a camera if needed.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site

No, the screen shot belongs to Windows Phone and Lumia Software Recovery Tools not to the phone reset. When you button hard reset your phone send us the screen shots. Use another phone or a camera if needed.

Thanks, but Im not doing another Hard reset. Doesnt solve anything. Nothing exceptional happens on the phone when you do either a soft or hard reset.

There is a problem delivering the software from the MS server to the phone. I am going to try one other thing and that is try it from another computer. If that doesnt work then I will box it up and go back to my Android phone. Its wasting too much of my time.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

Thanks, but Im not doing another Hard reset. Doesnt solve anything. Nothing exceptional happens on the phone when you do either a soft or hard reset.

There is a problem delivering the software from the MS server to the phone. I am going to try one other thing and that is try it from another computer. If that doesnt work then I will box it up and go back to my Android phone. Its wasting too much of my time.

SMH ...

OP asked for (& got) expert help.

When I needed to revert my Lumia 635 back to WinPhone 8.1, it took a HARD RESET for the software package to install.
- Hard Reset the phone
- set region / time zone / time (nothing more)
- plug the phone into the PC
- start WPRT (make sure you have the latest version).
- wait for the package to download (& install).

Worked for me, should work for you.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site

SMH ...

When I needed to revert my Lumia 635 back to WinPhone 8.1, it took a HARD RESET for the software package to install.
- Hard Reset the phone

​I will try it and get back to you...Thanks

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site

SMH ...

- Hard Reset the phone

Like I said , I will try your suggestion. Thanks. You've got to understand though, I have done MANY hard and soft resets. It takes about 3 hours to get my 920 back to where I like it after a hard reset. It's a waste of time and I don't want to try every suggestion someone thinks may work. Phones are to be used not tinkered with.

But its my mess . I created it so , so be it. I'll keep trying.

I am curious why you think a hard reset with just a date, time, region setting will fix it? This isn't mentioned or suggested in the way MS tells how to roll it back..Anyway, it worked for you so I will try it.

Complicating things maybe the fact that I have a cv-gb (England) version 920 and am physically in Viet Nam. I have kept it on GB fornall of my lang, KB, and region settings as well..

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Read articles on how to perform a dead flash using "Nokia Product Support Tool". It works and it works very well.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site

Read articles on how to perform a dead flash using "Nokia Product Support Tool". It works and it works very well.

Thanks! I believe this is my only hope. Will read up on it and attempt it soon. You da man! :)

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I finally got back to WP8.1 by reflashing my L920. This was the only thing that worked.

A BIG thanks to pankaj981 for the suggestion!

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss