Why can't I roll back to Windows Phone 8.1?

Eren Jeager

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
For those having difficulty with rolling back to WP8.1... This new version of the W10M TP has Reset Protection. Reset Protection will not allow it to be rolled back if it is enabled. If you did a hard reset after upgrading, then Reset Protection was turned on by default. You will need to go into Find My Phone and turn OFF Reset Protection in order to roll back using Windows Phone Recovery Tool.

That's my understanding of it anyway, from what I've read about the Reset Protection.
I did that too, not work either. I also check my Reset Protection Status from my Microsoft Account, it said "off". Still the same, can't reset, flash, recevery.. etc.

Last edited:

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I was not only "unsuccessful" rolling back, but the Windows Phone Recovery Tool threw an error at 24% during the flash, and my Lumia 635 was bricked. It took 4 days before I finally found out that only the Lumia Software Recovery Tool could handle doing a dead flash to not only bring it back to life, but to bring it back to the original 8.1 that the phone came out of the box with.

Do a web search and find Lumia Software Recovery Tool and use that for rolling back. I ended up downloading version 5.05, which required me to do an update to 5.08 before I could use it. Worked like a charm. Wish I would have started with it.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: Can't roll back to Windows Phone 8.1

@raycpl

To rollback to Windows Phone 8.1, just use Windows Device Recovery Tool (WDRT) or thor2.
Thanks
Already tried that, I had used WDRT numerous times before.
I use my spare 830 to mess with insiders builds. One day I couldn't launch the main camera (error!!). I thought I could get it back by reverting back to 8.1.. only to find that WDRT no longer works on the phone

... !!

Last edited:

anon(3463402)

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
This should help, please follow instructions carefully:

1. Ensure WDRT is installed on your computer.

2. Go to lumiafirmware.com, find your phone in the left column then choose a package from the right column, if possible for your country of residence and Country Variant (CV)

3. From the firmware download column download only the *.ffu file, then rename it to "FullFlashUpdate.ffu".

4. Create a new folder named "Package" from the Windows desktop and move the *.ffu file into it.

5. Execute this command prompt in administrator mode:

cd "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Care Suite\Windows Device Recovery Tool
if your computer operating system is 32-bit;

cd "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Care Suite\Windows Device Recovery Tool
if the operating system is 64-bit.

6. Connect your Lumia device to the computer then execute this command:

thor2 -mode uefiflash -ffufile "%HomePath%\Desktop\Package\FullFlashUpdate.ffu" -do_full_nvi_update -do_factory_reset -reboot

7. Wait for the flashing process to complete.

anon(10197358)

Mar 21, 2017
Visit site
@maya77

I've asked to @raycpl what's happened with WDRT and if he had already used thor2. According to his reply, I would have redirected it to my tutorial (this is where you've founded steps that you've mentioned). So, plz, wait his reply before advice him anything.

Last edited:

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
@maya77

I've asked to @raycpl what's happened with WDRT and if he had already used thor2. According to his reply, I would have redirected it to my tutorial (this is where you've founded steps that you've mentioned). So, plz, wait his reply before advice him anything.

By Odin's beard, that's the first time I heard of Thor2. I will give it a go and see how things pan out
Thanks for the tip, Dylan

... !!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)