Why can't I roll back to Windows Phone 8.1?

Eren Jeager

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Can't roll back to Windows Phone 8.1

Hello everyone,
I've update my lumia 625 to Windows 10 build 10130 this morning.
However my phone keep restart every 3 minutes or whenever I try to open any app except setting.
So I try to hard reset it, it does not work, my phone can't hard reset, all it do is a normal restart, nothing change.
Then I tried to use Windows Phone Recovery Tools, does not work either, my phone only show the Nokia logo for a while and then nothing happen, WPRT said recovery fail.
Then I tried Nokia Care Suite to flash my rom. It return an error code: FA_ERR_VERIFY_FAIL: 0xFA00000D

So, in general, I can't hard reset my phone, can't use the recovery tool, can't flash rom, and cannot use my phone since it restart every 3 minutes.....
What should I do now? Somebody please help me.... :(

Crimsonrellik

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can't roll back to Windows Phone 8.1

My WPRT kept failing. I restarted my PC (since I had just installed WPRT prior) and it worked first time after reboot.
Give that a shot if you haven't already!

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site

1.Back up all data.
2.Turn off the phone.
3.Press and hold the Volume Down key
4.While holding Volume Down, press the Power key to turn the phone on. Release Power when the phone vibrates but continue to hold Volume Down
5.When the exclamation mark appears on the display, release Volume Down.
6.Press the following keys in order. Nothing will change on the screen while entering the sequence of buttons
•Press the Volume Up key.
•Press the Volume Down key.
•Press the Power button.

7.The phone will automatically reset.
8.During the reset, two gears rotate on the display for up to 5 minutes, after which the display goes blank for about 30 seconds.

Eren Jeager

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

1.Back up all data.
2.Turn off the phone.
3.Press and hold the Volume Down key
4.While holding Volume Down, press the Power key to turn the phone on. Release Power when the phone vibrates but continue to hold Volume Down
5.When the exclamation mark appears on the display, release Volume Down.
6.Press the following keys in order. Nothing will change on the screen while entering the sequence of buttons
•Press the Volume Up key.
•Press the Power button.

7.The phone will automatically reset.
8.During the reset, two gears rotate on the display for up to 5 minutes, after which the display goes blank for about 30 seconds.

Did that too, not work either... :(

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
How is it not working? When you try the hard reset, does the hard reset not attempt to start? Or does it start and fail out somewhere in the middle? Give us more information and it'll help others figure out your problem.

Eren Jeager

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
How is it not working? When you try the hard reset, does the hard reset not attempt to start? Or does it start and fail out somewhere in the middle? Give us more information and it'll help others figure out your problem.
It does not start, not at all, when I hard reset my phone, it just do a normal restart, nothing happen.... :(

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So what happens when you in into settings and hit reset phone and get prompt and stuff?

It DOES NOT reset? This is what you are saying?

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Doing a hard reset on your phone will only take you back to the factory settings on the same version of the software that is already on the phone. For instance, if you have the new build, 10136 on your phone and do a reset, it will reset you to the same version of the software. The only way to get back to WP 8.1 is to use the Nokia Recovery Tool. Can you explain how that isn't working?

Quhi

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
After the update I reset my 1520, but the WPRT doesn't work: it finds my phone, then I press on it and then infinite loading starts. I want 8.1 badly :C.

Eren Jeager

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Doing a hard reset on your phone will only take you back to the factory settings on the same version of the software that is already on the phone. For instance, if you have the new build, 10136 on your phone and do a reset, it will reset you to the same version of the software. The only way to get back to WP 8.1 is to use the Nokia Recovery Tool. Can you explain how that isn't working?
When I use Nokia Recovery Tool, it restart my phone and the red screen with a nokia logo and a process bar show up for a second then the phone restart again, nothing happenned. The tool say the process has fail. Nothing more.

H3rve

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

I did my roll back on my 925 using my Dell venue 8 Pro, After the successful roll back, I would love to free up the 1.5Gig storage space firmware is taking. Anyone knows where to find and delete this? Disk clean up doesn't locate... Please advise. Thanks

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
For those having difficulty with rolling back to WP8.1... This new version of the W10M TP has Reset Protection. Reset Protection will not allow it to be rolled back if it is enabled. If you did a hard reset after upgrading, then Reset Protection was turned on by default. You will need to go into Find My Phone and turn OFF Reset Protection in order to roll back using Windows Phone Recovery Tool.

That's my understanding of it anyway, from what I've read about the Reset Protection.

E D B

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
For those having difficulty with rolling back to WP8.1... This new version of the W10M TP has Reset Protection. Reset Protection will not allow it to be rolled back if it is enabled. If you did a hard reset after upgrading, then Reset Protection was turned on by default. You will need to go into Find My Phone and turn OFF Reset Protection in order to roll back using Windows Phone Recovery Tool.

That's my understanding of it anyway, from what I've read about the Reset Protection.

Did that on my 521, which is on build 10080, it does not work.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Wow. Didn't work.

That kind of stinks. Did you have Reset Protection on the 521 before you entered the W10TP?

Or have we now completely lost the ability to do a roll back? Is there any official word on rolling back from Microsoft at this point?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750