No Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2 available after rolling back

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
So, I rolled back to 8.1 to get a cleaner install of Windows 10 for mobile. While there I figured I might as well just stay on 8.1 due to some haggling bugs that I experienced and others. So, I set up Windows Insider again and pulled down an update. The problem is, GDR2 didn't show up as the update available. Instead it was the latest build of Windows 10 TP for mobile. Have others experienced the same? Is it possible they've now rolled that update into the install for W10?

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Chances are that the rollback would have not taken it back to WP 8.1 update. I am guessing it was to update2, if not, the latest update might not need an update 2 prior to installation for your device.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Why would you install insider and enroll for updates and expect to get GDR2?
Obviously you will get Windows 10...

If you don't want Windows 10, don't enroll and then check for updates.

Topherious

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Gabe Aul tweeted a reply to someone that asked this question. Apparently WP 8.1 Update 2 was required for most phones to update to W10 Mobile 10080 where 10136 doesn't have the same requirements and can install on top of WP 8.1 Update 1 and older so update 2 wont be installed now

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Why would you install insider and enroll for updates and expehttp://forums.windowscentral.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3126143ct to get GDR2?
Obviously you will get Windows 10...

If you don't want Windows 10, don't enroll and then check for updates.

Because that's exactly how it worked before the latest build of Windows 10 for mobile. It would install GDR2 before rebooting and installing Windows 10. Obviously, this must be someone else's first go round with Windows 10 if they didn't know that. Thanks for the criticism though.

And I want update 2 as they still haven't released it for my 1520.3, but it does offer some improvements that I actually benefited from.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Gabe Aul tweeted a reply to someone that asked this question. Apparently WP 8.1 Update 2 was required for most phones to update to W10 Mobile 10080 where 10136 doesn't have the same requirements and can install on top of WP 8.1 Update 1 and older so update 2 wont be installed now

Thanks a lot for your nice, solid answer WITHOUT the need to make a snide comment. And you at least knew what you were talking about. Very much appreciated!

fueledbygin

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Kind of sucks. I, too, would use the tool just to get Update 2, primarily due to how it groups your settings so it isn't one super long list.

I suppose with WP 10 a few months away, they're not really going to feel pressured to bother with finishing the Update 2 official rollout at this point. :(

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Kind of sucks. I, too, would use the tool just to get Update 2, primarily due to how it groups your settings so it isn't one super long list.

I suppose with WP 10 a few months away, they're not really going to feel pressured to bother with finishing the Update 2 official rollout at this point. :(

i doubt if there will be an update 2 as It was mentioned earlier the latest build doesnt require you to go through update 2. It was just for the previous builds as they had some problem to roll out the preview. If this latest build doesnt need update2 why would the final version need it?
Highly Unlikely.

fueledbygin

May 23, 2014
Visit site
i doubt if there will be an update 2 as It was mentioned earlier the latest build doesnt require you to go through update 2. It was just for the previous builds as they had some problem to roll out the preview. If this latest build doesnt need update2 why would the final version need it?
Highly Unlikely.

I don't know if you realize, but you are having a completely different conversation than what those of us who miss the (unintentional, I'm sure) ability to apply Update 2.

Obviously, WP 10 builds no longer need it. That in no way invalidates how it kind of sucks for WP 8.1 users who never got the update, but were able to unofficially do so via using the Insiders Program-by explicitly NOT installing WP 10 after enrolling.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if you realize, but you are having a completely different conversation than what those of us who miss the (unintentional, I'm sure) ability to apply Update 2.

Obviously, WP 10 builds no longer need it. That in no way invalidates how it kind of sucks for WP 8.1 users who never got the update, but were able to unofficially do so via using the Insiders Program-by explicitly NOT installing WP 10 after enrolling.

No not really! I know what exactly the conversation is about. The "update2" that you get with some improvements is mainly released for devices as there is or rather was an issue while trying to get the win 10 via the insider program. So now I do believe that the issue has been taken care of and the latest update will insider release will give you win 10 without having to hop through the update 2, in short the update2 and win 10 preview might have been merged which means anyone trying insider from here on may not see update 2 on its own.

Yes I was able to stop W10 for phone dead in its tracks by deleting insider app when the update2 started to download.
EDIT
Since I dont know much about the app for the phone I have read the blogpost from MS saying that the new build was for the fast ring and even if you are on the 10080 build you need to revert back to win8.1 to get the latest release.
The key word is the fast ring. It obviously means that the "slow ring" dont have the latest update. Does it also mean if you register as an insider on the slow ring then maybe you can get the update2 and stop TP from installing as it still uses the old way of installing with 2 step update.
Cheers

Last edited:

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
If you roll back to 8.1 and re-register in the Windows Insider app, there is no option for "Slow Ring" now. Only "Fast". May just be due to this latest release only being for fast ring.

anon(3463402)

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
So, I rolled back to 8.1 to get a cleaner install of Windows 10 for mobile. While there I figured I might as well just stay on 8.1 due to some haggling bugs that I experienced and others. So, I set up Windows Insider again and pulled down an update. The problem is, GDR2 didn't show up as the update available. Instead it was the latest build of Windows 10 TP for mobile. Have others experienced the same? Is it possible they've now rolled that update into the install for W10?
Same here.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
No one will get Update 2 anymore via Insider app. If you are one of those lucky 730/830 that were getting official Update 2, you are ok otherwise, 10136 doesn't need a hop via Update 2 and that's the very reason it has been removed. The only hop required is - WP8.1

In short: Update 2 was pre-required for all builds upto 10080.
Now WP8.1 is pre-required for build 10136.
For build 1014x onwards, WP8.1 or 10080 or 10136 : is the pre-required condition.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3