Will Windows 10 TP run on a Lumia 635?

eds817

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Earlier this year I picked up a Lumia 635 to try and it wound up being my everyday phone for now. I tried Windows 10 TP and the first couple of builds worked fine and then the problems began. With each new build I would install it and after having too many problems I went back to 8.1. I kept trying hoping that each new build would work. Yesterday I installed 10136 and again it didn't work. I'm beginning to wonder if the 635 just won't handle Win10. I can't believe that each build can be so bad.

I try to open a system app and it either opens and closes or nothing at all happens.
Tried to setup my work email and the setup went fine but when I try to sync nothing happens.

So today I went back to 8.1 using the Windows Phone Recovery Tool.

I'm hoping the problem is that this device just can't handle Win10. I really like the Windows OS and think it will only get better with Win10 and that we'll see a lot more apps very soon after.

All comments would be appreciated.

Last edited:

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
it wound up being my everyday phone for now
That's the thing, WP10 tp isn't recommended as a daily driver.

You've mentioned the Lumia 635 and 625.
I have the tech preview on my Lumia 625 and although it was very laggy on the first day, it appears to have settled down.
The 625 isn't my daily driver phone so perhaps my expectations are lower.

eds817

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
That's the thing, WP10 tp isn't recommended as a daily driver.

You've mentioned the Lumia 635 and 625.
I have the tech preview on my Lumia 625 and although it was very laggy on the first day, it appears to have settled down.
The 625 isn't my daily driver phone so perhaps my expectations are lower.

I have the 635. I corrected it. Thanks.

Even if Win10 TP isn't recommended for an everyday phone I would think the core apps like email and phone should work. I'm not throwing in the towel just yet though.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I have a 635 and updated to 10136 a couple days ago. It's much better than the previous builds but as with all of them, a hard reset after installing the update is recommended. While it's still not daily driver worthy, 10136 is a big step forward.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
ds17 The thing is it's still a technical preview meanings its an alpha build o its going t buggy laggy etc. so you shouldn't think it's ready for prime time daily use even the core apps. Is getting beer and when I see Danny Rubino demoing what appears to me to be a 1520 it makes me want to load it up and go for it. But I'm not going to do that. Patience is a virtue best practiced by other people. Wait !!!

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I installed it on my Lumia 535 which is a spare phone of course...its really smooth and less buggy than 100080....its looks cool and nice mix of colors in contacts nav buttons and soo on....so far so good...

eds817

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a 635 and updated to 10136 a couple days ago. It's much better than the previous builds but as with all of them, a hard reset after installing the update is recommended. While it's still not daily driver worthy, 10136 is a big step forward.

Thank you. What do you mean by a hard reset?

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Thank you. What do you mean by a hard reset?

It's like resetting it to the "out of the box" factory settings. Apps you installed, settings, start screen, etc. will be lost but it's the best way to start with a clean slate. Go into settings and then System\About (I think that's the right path; I don't have my phone in front of me) and at the bottom there's a "Reset" button.

eds817

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It's like resetting it to the "out of the box" factory settings. Apps you installed, settings, start screen, etc. will be lost but it's the best way to start with a clean slate. Go into settings and then System\About (I think that's the right path; I don't have my phone in front of me) and at the bottom there's a "Reset" button.

So if I understand you correctly I should install the Win10 TP build over 8.1 and once it's done do a reset and I'll still have the Win10 TP.

eds817

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thank you very much! So far it's working 100% better than before. Now I have one last question. When the new builds are released do I need to reset the phone after installing? If I do is it better to just go with a clean install of backup and restore?

Thanks again

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Thank you very much! So far it's working 100% better than before. Now I have one last question. When the new builds are released do I need to reset the phone after installing? If I do is it better to just go with a clean install of backup and restore?

Thanks again
You're welcome. So far every TP build has been better with a hard reset after updating but you can just wait and see. But if you do a hard reset, I highly recommend not restoring settings from backup. Go with the "Don't Restore" option.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs