Store v. Store (Beta) -- MS Standoff/Standstill!

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Much Insider angst upon upgrading to 10136. MS had pushed out access to their new Store (Beta), which includes the Universal App versions of Office 2016 (and they are looking very promising). But there also seems to be new versions of many apps that either are, or are not, available exclusively through the Store (Beta), as you only get the "old" versions of the same apps if you access the Store (proper). It's an unholy mess. I shudder to think how much data I've wasted on the see-saw, as Store automatically installs the latest updates of apps, while Store (Beta) does the same thing to some of the same apps, with the added cheer of hanging.

• Are there any known work-arounds out there?
  • Is it advisable to ignore one or the other of the Stores?
  • Is it advisable to do one Store update, then the other?
  • It doesn't seem to help going desktop online and selecting "reinstall" as that generates an email that brings you back to the standoff
  • Is there anyway to "sideload" the hung apps? (there seems to be Developer options for sideloading)
  • Does it make a difference whether you install to Phone or Microsd?

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I would say if the app is in the store beta that's the one to go with. I did notice that the store beta went through and reinstalled almost all the apps I had previously installed and updated. Go into the store app and maybe turn off automatic updates. The new store seems capable of installing updates for even non-universal apps so there should be no need for the old one.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Much Insider angst upon upgrading to 10136. MS had pushed out access to their new Store (Beta), which includes the Universal App versions of Office 2016 (and they are looking very promising). But there also seems to be new versions of many apps that either are, or are not, available exclusively through the Store (Beta), as you only get the "old" versions of the same apps if you access the Store (proper). It's an unholy mess. I shudder to think how much data I've wasted on the see-saw, as Store automatically installs the latest updates of apps, while Store (Beta) does the same thing to some of the same apps, with the added cheer of hanging.

• Are there any known work-arounds out there?
  • Is it advisable to ignore one or the other of the Stores?
  • Is it advisable to do one Store update, then the other?
  • It doesn't seem to help going desktop online and selecting "reinstall" as that generates an email that brings you back to the standoff
  • Is there anyway to "sideload" the hung apps? (there seems to be Developer options for sideloading)
  • Does it make a difference whether you install to Phone or Microsd?

Exact same problem and long press on problem apps has uninstall grayed out so screwed on those apps

EndOfRope

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
problems sseems to mostly occure when i set App install to SD card. After hard reset and setting Apps to install in phone memory things are smoother.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
problems sseems to mostly occure when i set App install to SD card. After hard reset and setting Apps to install in phone memory things are smoother.
That as it thanks..No need to reset though. I changed apps to phone to install last 10 apps that didn't, restarted them and all downloaded. Thanks.

EndOfRope

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
uninstalling was not possible in any way for me. You may leave the grey tile as it is. I did a hard reset to start again from the beginning.

Ickis99

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I would say if the app is in the store beta that's the one to go with. I did notice that the store beta went through and reinstalled almost all the apps I had previously installed and updated. Go into the store app and maybe turn off automatic updates. The new store seems capable of installing updates for even non-universal apps so there should be no need for the old one.

Yes, i think that?s the right way. I had 2 or 3 Apps that didn?t show up in the new Beta-Store so that?s the only time i used the old Store.

The only problem for me is, that i cant disable Auto-Updates in the Beta-Store (if you go back to the settings you see they are still enabled). And that?s a real problem. If you seriously try to test something you dont won?t to let anything update without your notice. At least i don?t want it.

Last edited:

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It must be a bug. I've had it happen to many different apps but it appears to download data. I also don't install and never have installed to the SD card. So if they aren't there why does data come through?

I installed Myfitness pal before the new store update and it worked for half a day. Then the update came though and the app got caught in the bug.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I only put games, non-essential apps, music, video, photos, and downloads on my SD card. Any app that is considered part of my daily driving use gets put in the phone memory.

However, I would SO like to put my maps on my SD card. Just not enough room in a 635 to store all my maps.

I haven't had any issues with store apps, except I can't download the Microsoft Maps program so far.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Did your extras work? Microsoft Maps won't install for me either but I did get it to install before the initial beta store update. Mix radio is another that broke from the store.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
My extras+info worked up until I uninstalled it and attempted to reinstall from the store. Now it's not even listed in the store because it isn't available for W10.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My extras+info worked up until I uninstalled it and attempted to reinstall from the store. Now it's not even listed in the store because it isn't available for W10.

It's there. It tries to update it still. Everything found under extras + info updates successfully. But then you can't access it.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
It's there. It tries to update it still. Everything found under extras + info updates successfully. But then you can't access it.

It only tries to update because you have it already installed. If you remove it, you won't be able to get it back. Trust me on that one.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I meant it is in the store somewhere, just not searchable or self installable. The store beta will download all 162.3 MB of the app and then throw the error. As to why it's not picking it up fresh is a mystery.

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
So I gave my phone another reset. After you setup your phone as new, no backup, i quickly disabled all auto updates. And then go and try to uninstall every apps, no matter what. Some will still remain there, just ignore it. After that, i perform app check updates in both stores(old and beta).

Voila, all apps can update fine. Even there was an update to the Store Beta. Now my phone is actually working better than last time! :)

FYI, I am not putting my SIM card in the phone yet, so I can't test calling or SMS.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Store Beta is terrible. Yes, its a beta but the whole look and feel of it sucks. It seems like just a link to a web version. It formats terribly on the screen.

I'm loosing faith...:)

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Store Beta needs a lot of work, even after the old vs. new issues are addressed. It's more colorful and tricked out, relative to the old store, but it's hard to find apps or to get a decent comparative sense of your alternatives. To be fair, the Apple and Android stores are hardly models. Maybe that's a downside to having a quadrillion apps.

ncbartschi

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm suspecting the Store is mostly finalized for RTM, but will be followed by several updates after RTM to add those "nooks and crannies" we need, like update history.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss