10136 much better after 24 hours

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
So my little test 635 got a clean upgrade to 10136 and was atrocious - apps crashed out so someone suggested a hard reset to reinstall cleanly. Oddly that still didn't help much - running Spartan would still bomb out very frequently as would just about every other app (maps, mail etc.)

24 hours later the phone is a different animal. Still crashes a little but is so much more responsive and I can visit sites today that crashed in seconds yesterday.

I believe that after the install occurs that some background tasks run like the Store app updates (sometimes you can see those). But possibly other setup housekeeping tasks like .net optimization processes. While all that is going on the phone is much lower on memory and so causes apps more problems on 512MB devices.

Anyone else notice an improvement the next day?

Rakesh Rocky2

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
So my little test 635 got a clean upgrade to 10136 and was atrocious - apps crashed out so someone suggested a hard reset to reinstall cleanly. Oddly that still didn't help much - running Spartan would still bomb out very frequently as would just about every other app (maps, mail etc.)

24 hours later the phone is a different animal. Still crashes a little but is so much more responsive and I can visit sites today that crashed in seconds yesterday.

I believe that after the install occurs that some background tasks run like the Store app updates (sometimes you can see those). But possibly other setup housekeeping tasks like .net optimization processes. While all that is going on the phone is much lower on memory and so causes apps more problems on 512MB devices.

Yeah first I couldn't even open photos, no background while multitasking, the start was pitch black.. Then I checked the store it was in light background, then it showed 30 apps updating... After everything was updated the store changed to black background and everything worked except office apps are not downloading

cdayo

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it definitely improved with time. Unbelievably so, I could say it is suitable to use as a daily driver after some time. At first, the store wouldn't open, nothing worked properly, even after a hard reset. But I let it sit for a while (a day or two) connected to wifi, and lo and behold, store beta updated itself and things just got better. On a Lumia 1020.

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
For me, it is usable as a daily driver. The most annoying bug is that myTube gets really slow and buggy with this. As a dev, it is also a pain that I can't get storyboard animations to function correctly, Visual Studio throws me random errors that weren't there on 8.1.
Also, I seriously hope they will move "Albums" "Artists", etc... Away from the burger menu in the final music app.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
It took about 6 to 7 hours for it to start behaving properly for me. Upgraded in the morning, and by that evening it had started to function properly.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I didn't have serious crashing issues on my 930, but after 24 hours the OS feels faster than first.

The 930 would probably become fully responsive quicker too.

The OOBE on my 635 was not acceptable though - they need to work on this, perhaps making initial app update/install be a stage of the OS install.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My observations as well. This is also the case on WP8.1. On the TP it's even worse as the store just isn't working right.

I'd still consider this a problem as you can restore an iPhone without anywhere near this much of a day long hit. On an iPhone you can hardly tell it's restoring. They also reinstall apps according to the order they appear on your screen.

SagarSadbhaiya

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
I Agree.. My L830 was so lagging on day 1 and some apps like Outlook, Photos & Store were not evening opening.. But after 24-48 Hrs of usage everything seems to be working fine & bit more smoothly.. There are some lags like when opening an app directly from Action center.. But those are minor & manageable... Overall it's going very nice now!!!

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I installed 10136 on my 1520 and it was nearly unusable. Very crashy and buggy. I did a hard reset and it worked much better. I did however revert back to WP8.1 after a little over a day...the battery life was the killer thing that was lacking. I was used to stellar battery life on my 1520 that just got really bad. I may give it another chance later, but I have a busy weekend coming up that I can't risk to crummy battery life.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Significantly more stable and less crashy 24 hours after install. And this is despite my continually deleting and attempting to reinstall some apps.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Interesting observation. I have been fighting with my 1020 over the last few days with several hard resets. I'll resist the urge to mess with it over the weekend and see if it's better on Monday.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
My 930 is absolutely a different phone from when I installed the TP yesterday. I didn't do a hard reset but it has really settled down. Strangely enough, I could not sign into Windows Central phone app on the new build so I rolled back my 635 to use this app.

cdayo

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Interesting observation. I have been fighting with my 1020 over the last few days with several hard resets. I'll resist the urge to mess with it over the weekend and see if it's better on Monday.
I fought with my 1020 too, but patience paid off. Keep it connected to wi-fi and plugged in.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It settles down but then sadly the store starts breaking apps when it auto updates. You'll start seeing apps not launch, not be uninstallable and the store get stuck in updating error loops.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I've taken the plunge and tried this again. What I do notice is that even though initially it didn't show many apps updating, it is doing that now and it takes a long time. More and more apps are updating and it becomes more and more responsive and apps do not crash or show the "resuming" screen. I've started around midnight and apps are still updating in the background. Maybe that explains the 24hs for a few folks here.

seems quite usable and I like what I see.

Last edited:

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
It settles down but then sadly the store starts breaking apps when it auto updates. You'll start seeing apps not launch, not be uninstallable and the store get stuck in updating error loops.

My Lumia 635 is trying to download IE lol. Weather and MSN Sports were getting errors updating. I had to uninstall the apps then they can update successfully.

Jaydeep Limaye

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

Thanks a lot for your observations. After one update from 8.1 to 10136 and two hard resets thereafter I had been back to 8.1 before I read your post. After reading it I decided to take the plunge again and now after a day I have realised that my earlier panic resets were unnecessary. Patience as per your advice has paid off and my 730 is now much stable and much more responsive. Apps crash a little, some apps are unresponsive even after successful install. However OS is much stable now.
Thanks again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo