I was testing out the Microsoft Maps app (NOT here maps) on build 10136 and noticed that the arrow which points in the direction you are facing is off by at least 90 degrees. For example, I'm walking in straight line and the pointer is pointing towards the left or right side as if I was turning, but the circle continues down the straight path. Its just the pointer that's pointing in a different direction.

Is there any way to calibrate the GPS? The app is not telling me I need to calibrate, which is strange because I've always had the calibration screen pop up on Maps in WP 7, 8, and 8.1.

Anyone else notice this issue?
    gpobernardo likes this.
    06-19-2015 09:41 AM
    I'm deducing that you're using a phone that has a magnetometer or a digital compass; that's the one that is usually prompted for calibration, not the GPS.

But to answer your question "Is there any way to calibrate the GPS?", then yes there is. Some GPS devices can be calibrate to centimeter-level accuracy by simply allowing it to come into contact with the entire constellation of GPS satellites, i.e. leaving it running under a clear sky for 24 hours undisturbed.

But, now for your apparent concern (which is the digital compass, not the GPS), there is also a way to calibrate it... since we've been prompted to do so many times already before. However, even if the phone doesn't prompt us for calibration, there still may be a need to do so. In my L1020 (which is not running W10), I also experience around 90deg of deflection in the direction indicator without being prompted for calibration. However, a few full and gentle rotations normalizes the compass eventually reducing the deflection.

Hence, try calibrating the compass (figure 8 method) even if you're not prompted to do so if the compass isn't pointing where it should be.
    06-19-2015 04:07 PM
    Thanks for your reply and correction. I meant the digital compass. I will try your suggestion later on when I step out again. I'll do the figure 8 and hopefully that will adjust it.
    gpobernardo likes this.
    06-19-2015 04:32 PM
    Thanks for your reply and correction. I meant the digital compass. I will try your suggestion later on when I step out again. I'll do the figure 8 and hopefully that will adjust it.
    No problem. Let us know what you find.
    06-20-2015 03:47 AM