Cortana on the Start Screen for Windows 10 Mobile

angelblast1997

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
I would like to see Cortana on the left side of the Start Screen. Cortana is an amazing virtual assistant but having her on her own application ruins the experience, Cortana does not feel integrated within the OS. It would be a great idea if Cortana lived next to the Start Screen. Swiping to the right/ sliding to the left would slide the screen to Cortana. Having Cortana so easily accessible would improve how much users use Cortana.

The new Cortana would also display the Start Screen wallpaper blurred in the background. This would not only look sleek and nice but would unify Windows 10 Mobile.

VOTE HERE!!! https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...n-the-start-sc

This is a very quick mock up I did Cortana_StartScreen_Mockup.jpg

Do anyone else think this would be a good idea? If yes, please vote here: https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...n-the-start-sc

MaxyBley

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't think that Cortana being an app ruins the experience. If there's something I really like about Cortana is that she's there when you need her to and not when you don't need her.

She never feels intrusive, in the middle of the way or "in your face". While I do like the idea of having something for swiping from the left. I think Cortana is not a goof idea for that. Cortana is used by many but not loved by everyone. Shoving Cortana in people's faces could in up ugly.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Not to be negative, but I don't think that's a good idea. Having her on that side, on the start screen, means that you cant access her that way when you're not on the start screen. Having "hey Cortana" and accessing her through the button seems good enough, because anywhere in the OS you can activate her.

I would like to see a better design for her tho.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I also don't feel like she should "live" there. Left side should just stay unused, like the way it is now. But Cortana should have the transparent background, I agree with that.
Just like the action center in Windows 10 (in the newest build). MS started using transparency everywhere which is really cool. The OS already feels better!

UptownWebhead

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Cortana doesn't feel integrated in the OS? Have you not tried a Windows 10 build? Cortana is basically everywhere. She's always listening, lives on the taskbar in desktop builds, and will live in Edge's address bar as well. As far as mobile, we still have a long way to go to see how Microsoft will enhance Cortana's abilities on the phone side. Also, Cortana will be popping up on Xbox soon too so Cortana is definitely integrated into Windows 10.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

angelblast1997

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Cortana doesn't feel integrated in the OS? Have you not tried a Windows 10 build? Cortana is basically everywhere. She's always listening, lives on the taskbar in desktop builds, and will live in Edge's address bar as well. As far as mobile, we still have a long way to go to see how Microsoft will enhance Cortana's abilities on the phone side. Also, Cortana will be popping up on Xbox soon too so Cortana is definitely integrated into Windows 10.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

In my opinion I believe she could be better integrated within the Mobile version of Windows 10. This thread is about Windows 10 Mobile, so I dont know why you bring the Desktop version and Xbox, in which I believe Cortana is perfectly integrated.

But thanks for sharing your opinion!

Last edited:

angelblast1997

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your opinion! Even though we do not share some ideas together, we share some. Even if she only gets a translucent background that will make her feel more integrated and I have been asking for a translucent Action Center.

Willy Soughers

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I actually like that idea. I think what op refers to isn't to disable use of the search button or hey cortana to open Cortana but instead to rid the app lost of her and instead of opening an app tile, to swipe to her from the start screen similar to google now on nexus devices. On those, google now is accessible via ok google and by holding and swiping the home button up but while on the home screen, a simple swipe to the left starts up google now as well. Definitely input this through feedback, I'd love to see this feature. One of the biggest concerns of Cortana going to android and IOS is the fact that there wont be that unique feature to windows any more. Making her feel more integrated into the OS as opposed to leaving her on a tile would help alleviate that issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs