The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
06-25-2015 09:44 PM
58 123
tools
    WP has no market share because they don't market. WP has no apps because there is no market share. There is no market share because no one wants to make apps for it. No one REALLY wants to make apps for it because of how different WP is. By making WP10 "universal" at being able to run IOS and Droid apps, the above is irrelevant now. Lets see if they just market it. MS goal is to make money, not make the 3% market share happy.

Agree with most , but the App Gap story is an old one and not true anymore. There are good native and /or 3rd party apps for 95% of what people really want. OK, a game or two is missing, but most don't care about that. It's an easy way to complain about a nonissue.

The "missing apps" story is what the jokers at BRG and The Verge mention when they put down their iphones to "review" a WP. It's lazy journalism.

....just my opinion.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    06-21-2015 11:31 PM
    Agree with most , but the App Gap story is an old one and not true anymore. There are good native and /or 3rd party apps for 95% of what people really want. OK, a game or two is missing, but most don't care about that. It's an easy way to complain about a nonissue.

The "missing apps" story is what the jokers at BRG and The Verge mention when they put down their iphones to "review" a WP. It's lazy journalism.

....just my opinion.

The apps that are missing are those for banks in the US. I have banking apps for both of my banks (US Bank and Third Federal) for Android, but neither of those banks ever had Windows Phone apps; they are not banks that had apps, but pulled them.

Other missing apps are those for stores: Walmart, Sam's Club, Macy's, Target, Giant Eagle (a regional grocery store), CVS, RiteAid, Sheetz, Speedway.
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    06-21-2015 11:37 PM
    Over in the UK the only WP ads we get are for cortana, nothing about the actual phones.

See, I know the flagship phones for Apple, HTC, Samsung etc, but I have no idea what the current WP flagship is, they don't bother to tell anyone, I have to go digging around online to find out. So this means that when the average person goes into a phone store to buy a new phone they instantly dismiss the WP options, as they don't even know what they are.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    06-22-2015 12:53 AM
    I know what direction it is going... ONEDIRECTION... And they are almost broken. Nah, just kidding. I love the new Windows for phones.
    06-22-2015 01:00 AM
    I think MS dropped the ball on it. they were lacking clear vision, started to go back n forth with things and lost positive momentum. This momentum was clear when Nokia jumped on board, but it was a long road to go and Microsoft just couldnt move fast enough, started to fell behind and eventually dropped the whole ball.

Windows Phone is now 5 years!!! old and you still arent able to edit forwarded emails. Or look at the office on Windows Phone, Excel is like a poor third party app thats so cripled its not even funny.

I think its game over.
    06-22-2015 02:40 AM
    Whichever way they are going, I will be putting on my wait and see mode. Not rushing into getting new W10 phones until the app selections as well as the market shares are getting better and more recognized. If W10 for phones stays the same as 3% like it is now, then bye bye Windows Phone.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-22-2015 03:38 AM
    Whichever way they are going, I will be putting on my wait and see mode. Not rushing into getting new W10 phones until the app selections as well as the market shares are getting better and more recognized. If W10 for phones stays the same as 3% like it is now, then bye bye Windows Phone.
    It might surprise you but WP is not at 3% anymore. In Q1/2015 it was at 2.5%. In Q2/2015 it'll probably be nearer to two percent marketshare than at three percent. Alone in the US Windows Phone lost about one fifth of its marketshare within just three months this year.

Even if people say that WP has 95% of the apps, the app gap is still huge. Especially when it comes to local and regional apps.

For example in Germany you can't even buy a ticket for public transport with WP. With the Android and iOS apps you just jump on the bus and buy the ticket online using an app. In some cities there are even public transport apps that realize where you jump on and off and charge you automatically. Of course also only available for Android and iOS.

Then there are lots of regional and mainstream newspapers, banks, etc. that don't have WP apps. Yea true, the big apps are there. But people are looking a lot for regional apps nowadays. And they simply don't exist for WP. At least not in Germany.
    06-22-2015 05:11 AM
    Absolutely love WP8.1...have been back n forth from Iphone/Android/WP for ages, OK i own a Nexus tablet for my app needs, but when im out and about I dont take it with me, the WP in my case was the Nokia 930, was an amazing phone, but its just let down by the lack of apps or app updates compared to both Android and iOS.

OK most of the apps are there on the WP store, but just a few examples, I arrive at an exhibition, you can simply download the exhibition app from either the Android Play store and Apple store, but nothing from the WP store, also you can get the Ebay app, but its functionality doesn't even allow responses to offers, it simply states please view the web version of ebay, Words with friends is there, but its almost like the two year old beta when it first came out on the other stores and no other online with friends type games exist.

Funny enough, most people of my age 40 plus, seem to be happy enough with facebook and twitter and I would say WP8.1 covers this very well, especially with the people hub, but speaking to my 18 year old cousin yesterday, they don't touch Facebook and hardly use twitter now, its all this SnapChat thing, he said he used to have a Windows phone, but got rid of it due to no support for Snapchat and a lot of other apps, if only Microsoft could stop faffing about with trying to change an OS that works perfectly well and in a unique different way to anything else and simply get the app support people want, things would be perfect and i would still own a Windows phone and not a bloomin Iphone again.
    06-22-2015 05:48 AM
    Still, the problem is bigger than that. Most people who switch from Droid or Apple to Windows usually stays with Windows.
    That sort of depends on the user. Some float around a lot and try all three OS. Some stay with WP because they don't care about the latest and greatest and just want something to use. Others move on because WP lacks xyz app or customization or feature.

Some of us on here have switched to Android simply because we were waiting for a flagship WP and none came that suited us. We also didn't mind trying out Android as it was new for many of us. Those who have switched have been quite surprised, myself included, at just how good Android is. I'm not using a low end device but there are well priced top grade Android devices which offers a very nice experience.

And like Laura said, you can customize it to your hearts content if that's what you want to do.
    06-22-2015 07:21 AM
    If we're talking about the Droid home screen, the most you can get is widgets. Other than that you can customize a Droid much more than any phone out there.
    06-22-2015 08:55 AM
    If we're talking about the Droid home screen, the most you can get is widgets. Other than that you can customize a Droid much more than any phone out there.
    You don't seem to understand the idea behind launchers. I can make my Android look like Windows Phone if I wanted to along with many other launchers out there.. You can't do that with WP or iPhone.

That's not even touching custom ROMs.

Widgets are a nice too and I like them but that's not what Laura was talking about.
    Laura Knotek and Guytronic like this.
    06-22-2015 09:01 AM
    I know about launchers. I didn't mention it because it didn't come across my mind. I have a launcher on my Galaxy S3 that makes it look like a windows phone. Alas, Windows phone is still superior to Droid.
    06-22-2015 09:07 AM
    I know about launchers. I didn't mention it because it didn't come across my mind. I have a launcher on my Galaxy S3 that makes it look like a windows phone. Alas, Windows phone is still superior to Droid.
    But that's what Laura was talking about.

In any case. To each their own. I'm quite happy on Android for the time being until WP matures, if it matures. I'm not trying to push anything on anyone. I don't like the whole 'my OS is better than yours' I went through that nonsense with Windows and MAC in the 90s. I'm a little over it now. I like choice. I'm not interested in iOS but if I ever had to use one I would.
    Laura Knotek and chmun77 like this.
    06-22-2015 09:19 AM
    I really was one of those guys that always said I had the apps I needed and that's all that matters. However since I've picked up the G4 I've discovered the are useful apps I missed on Windows. Some have mentioned bank apps, my work has an online application for employees but just Apple and Android. Then there are the frivolous apps like wallpapers, etc...
    Still the biggest reason for me switching was the lack of a flagship phone. Iknow one should be coming soon but the bottom line is, at this point I just don't trust Microsoft to produce.
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-22-2015 09:51 AM
    Almost a year ago I put aside 1200$ to upgrade my two phones, Nokia 820 and a Moto G LTE. I have been waiting on a upgrade for my 820 since then. The 830 came and went as I just did not believe (and still don't) it was much of an upgrade for the price they were asking for it. Now it looks like I would be happy with a 640/640XL. Again not much of an upgrade; but a good sidegrade at a good price. Try to find one. You can't even get them from Microsofts own store. Cricket does have them; but Cricket has the worst upgrade record of any carrier, even T-Mobile. I am not worried if Microsoft does not make it in the mobile market, I will just stay with my other half Android. But it sure does seem like a hell of a waste of time. Just as a side note; I still have not gotten the upgrade to Lollipop for my Moto G. Should I try Apple. Not in this lifetime. I'd go back to two tin cans and a string before that happens. looks like I'll be staying with a Windows phone (as long as they exist) and a Android phone. Oh by the way, I don't have a single Google app on my Android. My wife will not part with her 925 for anything so here we stand. Waiting, waiting, waiting etc.
    06-22-2015 11:06 AM
    For me, the two apps I use the most on my Windows Phone have not been updated in a long time, while I see updates and feature adds all the time for the Android counterparts. Those apps are Fly Delta and Golf Logix.

I am willing to try a 640 for a year or so, and then jump if there isn't progress made on the apps I use, so the App Gap is real for me.

Also, my little CU doesn't have a windows phone app, but does on Android.
    06-22-2015 01:44 PM
    Where are we headed? Unification.

Windows and Windows Phone have merged. Cortana, Notifications etc. or the desktop. And Desktop apps on the phone. Same USB subsystem etc. You may not want it, but you asked where Windows Phone was going.

What benefits does this give us?

Common apps like Office - anyone who has used the new Word, Excel etc. the MSN apps think they are great. Likely the hidden gems of WM10. We also have new capabilities like Continuum. And simpler app development by everyone. With shared drivers for hardware - USB/Bluetooth etc.

What is new in WM10? Android and iOS app recompilation capability. Edge browser - this is huge as the mobile website compatibility is now excellent. HLS streaming like an iPhone opens many media sites etc. Integrated Maps/navigation etc.

Lots of tiny tweaks like interactive notifications and better notification support bring the OS up to current spec.

What else do you want?

Apps. Let's fact it, people are mostly happy with the core OS. All current platforms are now about the same. Primary deficiency has always been apps. The new compatibility paths may improve this and help with this aspect. Time will tell.
    KSilcox likes this.
    06-22-2015 02:14 PM
    Total (lifetime), WP7 on up. Probably more, but still, it gives you a good idea of how many people CHOSE the 3rd place mobile OS.

Even little things...notification center...come late to the party, and do a barebones, plain Jane implementation of it. Dink around with the dialer and make some terrible UX decisions but not actually add features people have been begging for.

Of course now, they are spelling "Apps ->" on the Start screen. I'm pretty sure anyone who couldn't figure it out before, won't be able to read that. :P

I'm on the sinking ship too but I have to ask where you got 100,000,000 WP shipped? It's not even close to that - 10.2m Lumias last Quarter.

But its not total phones shipped that worries me. MS isn't going anywhere. They make billions a year. It's the market share number that we have to worry about - its at 3% now Global market share.

a5cent likes this.
    06-22-2015 02:25 PM
    It's going in the right direction.
    06-22-2015 08:58 PM
    You don't seem to understand the idea behind launchers. I can make my Android look like Windows Phone if I wanted to along with many other launchers out there.. You can't do that with WP or iPhone.

That's not even touching custom ROMs.

Widgets are a nice too and I like them but that's not what Laura was talking about.
    Yes, I was talking about launchers, not widgets.

Here are a few pictures of my screens on my Nexus 7.

I only have 2 widgets, the 1Weather widget on one screen, and the default clock widget on the other screen.

Notice how I put all my most used apps into folders which I put in the dock, so that I have a clean screen that shows off my wallpaper.

The launcher I'm using is Nova Launcher Prime.

I really haven't done a lot of customization like changing the fonts or icons, but this gives the idea.

screenshot_2015-06-23-02-22-53.jpg

screenshot_2015-06-23-02-23-00.jpg

screenshot_2015-06-23-02-26-36.jpg
    Last edited by Laura Knotek; 06-24-2015 at 01:59 AM.
    a5cent, N_LaRUE, tgp and 1 others like this.
    06-23-2015 01:45 AM
    While this may be off topic, but these videos will sure make you smile. Remembering the good old NOKIA.

and an English, Indian edition
    06-23-2015 08:32 AM
    While this may be off topic, but these videos will sure make you smile. Remembering the good old NOKIA.

and an English, Indian edition
    Thanks!

I was thinking about getting a Lumia 900 again just cuz......I miss it.

​WP7 rocked!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-24-2015 01:54 AM
    The apps that are missing are those for banks in the US. I have banking apps for both of my banks (US Bank and Third Federal) for Android, but neither of those banks ever had Windows Phone apps; they are not banks that had apps, but pulled them.

Other missing apps are those for stores: Walmart, Sam's Club, Macy's, Target, Giant Eagle (a regional grocery store), CVS, RiteAid, Sheetz, Speedway.
    I don't know why but it looks like USA actually doesn't like MS in general. Here in India, WP doesn't have that much significant market share but still I have almost all banking apps, online store apps with full functionality, IRCTC app which is way better than its Android counter part & also local games. Yup, iOS is not even close to WP marketshare in India & it also gets all the apps, too. It's not like the platform is having low marketshare so we won't develop app, you're leaving behind potential customers & a simple app doesn't cost that much to these giants.

IMO, US companies & devspaiberately ignoring WP or they don't know how to do business & I believe it's former.
    06-24-2015 04:51 AM
    Yes, I was talking about launchers, not widgets.

Here are a few pictures of my screens on my Nexus 7.

I only have 2 widgets, the 1Weather widget on one screen, and the default clock widget on the other screen.

Notice how I put all my most used apps into folders which I put in the dock, so that I have a clean screen that shows off my wallpaper.

The launcher I'm using is Nova Launcher Prime.

I really haven't done a lot of customization like changing the fonts or icons, but this gives the idea.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-06-23-02-22-53.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	106924

Name:	Screenshot_2015-06-23-02-23-00.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	106925

Name:	Screenshot_2015-06-23-02-26-36.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	106926
    In Windows 10, we can set background wallpaper & can make tiles transperant, if you don't put any tiles except the 2 widgets you want & just leave whole screen covered by wallpaper only, you can have similar design in WM10, too. In fact I remember 1 member here posted a beautiful ss of his start screen in WM10.
    06-24-2015 04:56 AM
    I'm very much excited & happy the way Windows is going. It's now having complete feature parity with competitors & in many aspects it trounce Android & iOS. With Universal App & Continnum , I believe it would be great experience for users ahead. I do even like new UI, unnecessary big fonts have been removed.
    06-24-2015 05:05 AM
58 123