06-25-2015 09:44 PM
58 123
tools
    Where are we headed? Unification.

Windows and Windows Phone have merged. Cortana, Notifications etc. or the desktop. And Desktop apps on the phone. Same USB subsystem etc. You may not want it, but you asked where Windows Phone was going.

What benefits does this give us?

Common apps like Office - anyone who has used the new Word, Excel etc. the MSN apps think they are great. Likely the hidden gems of WM10. We also have new capabilities like Continuum. And simpler app development by everyone. With shared drivers for hardware - USB/Bluetooth etc.

What is new in WM10? Android and iOS app recompilation capability. Edge browser - this is huge as the mobile website compatibility is now excellent. HLS streaming like an iPhone opens many media sites etc. Integrated Maps/navigation etc.

Lots of tiny tweaks like interactive notifications and better notification support bring the OS up to current spec.

What else do you want?

Apps. Let's fact it, people are mostly happy with the core OS. All current platforms are now about the same. Primary deficiency has always been apps. The new compatibility paths may improve this and help with this aspect. Time will tell.
    This is correct. The fact that the phone now runs the exact same core software (Windows 10) as your pc, laptop, xbox, hololense, etc is HUGE. For developers they only have to code once, for the biggest platform in the world which is Windows and that same software will run on any other device that runs Windows 10 (which is everything). It's a game changer.

I'm super excited for Microsoft's future including the phones.
    06-24-2015 09:29 AM
    I agree with KSilcox. Windows 10 is going to bring a ton of developer momentum to Windows 10 Mobile due to Microsoft's work creating a Universal Windows Platform. They're also working on two projects that will allow Android and iOS developers to easily port their apps to Windows 10.
    06-24-2015 12:44 PM
    This is correct. The fact that the phone now runs the exact same core software (Windows 10) as your pc, laptop, xbox, hololense, etc is HUGE. For developers they only have to code once, for the biggest platform in the world which is Windows and that same software will run on any other device that runs Windows 10 (which is everything). It's a game changer.

I'm super excited for Microsoft's future including the phones.
    I agree with KSilcox. Windows 10 is going to bring a ton of developer momentum to Windows 10 Mobile due to Microsoft's work creating a Universal Windows Platform. They're also working on two projects that will allow Android and iOS developers to easily port their apps to Windows 10.
    Though I am hoping for great things with W10 and I see the one comment is made by a developer. I am still a touch sceptical as to how this will attract developers.

I'll explain it this way.

One, WP numbers are still small at this point. Doesn't mean it won't change but currently ~3% of world wide market. Hasn't changed much.

Two, we don't know the numbers of people who actually use the Windows 8.1 Store (PC) and the apps there. Judging by the complaints of the Start screen, the lack of interest in it and even my personal use. I get the feeling the numbers probably aren't that big currently.

Again, that's not saying it wouldn't change with W10 but any large developer is going to want to know how things are and how MS sees things in the future.

Yes it's a game changer but is it as big as people think it is? That's my question. I don't personally see a rush happening I see more of the same. Developers waiting and seeing.
    jefbeard911 and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-25-2015 03:53 AM
    Though I am hoping for great things with W10 and I see the one comment is made by a developer. I am still a touch sceptical as to how this will attract developers.

I'll explain it this way.

One, WP numbers are still small at this point. Doesn't mean it won't change but currently ~3% of world wide market. Hasn't changed much.

Two, we don't know the numbers of people who actually use the Windows 8.1 Store (PC) and the apps there. Judging by the complaints of the Start screen, the lack of interest in it and even my personal use. I get the feeling the numbers probably aren't that big currently.

Again, that's not saying it wouldn't change with W10 but any large developer is going to want to know how things are and how MS sees things in the future.

Yes it's a game changer but is it as big as people think it is? That's my question. I don't personally see a rush happening I see more of the same. Developers waiting and seeing.
    The "app gap" is present but I do not really suffer that much of "missing" apps. What I already noticed is that W10 had already some useful native apps.
    Alarms+clocks.
    Has ability to use music as alarm, has a native timer and world clock.
    Calculater.
    Has al kind of calculated option and conversions.
    Maps.
    Has now build-in navigation (as preparation for "loosing" HERE?)
    Build in audio recorder.
    Outlook mail and calendar.

So above native apps "prevent" for me the need for numerous (new) apps which basically do the same.

Or in other words the "app gap" is already decreased.
    And I do not expect and explosion of "w10" apps but I am sure that it will at least not increase the "app gap".
    06-25-2015 04:25 AM
    The "app gap" is present but I do not really suffer that much of "missing" apps. What I already noticed is that W10 had already some useful native apps.
    Alarms+clocks.
    Has ability to use music as alarm, has a native timer and world clock.
    Calculater.
    Has al kind of calculated option and conversions.
    Maps.
    Has now build-in navigation (as preparation for "loosing" HERE?)
    Build in audio recorder.
    Outlook mail and calendar.

So above native apps "prevent" for me the need for numerous (new) apps which basically do the same.

Or in other words the "app gap" is already decreased.
    And I do not expect and explosion of "w10" apps but I am sure that it will at least not increase the "app gap".
    The 'app gap' is dependant on the user. It's a personal thing. To some it means a lot. To others it's nothing. Just depends on what your expectations are.

Personally many people talk of 'choice' when it comes to functionality of the OS. To me choice can be filled by apps in some cases, the OS can only provide so much. Doesn't mean that you can't like the native apps but a choice is always a good thing.

My 'app gap' was fairly small. I didn't leave (not that I've really left) WP because of apps. I left because of device choice. I would have been happy to stick with WP.

Saying that I've enjoyed learning a new OS and seeing what's out there. :)

I haven't bothered much with W10. I'm waiting for RTM myself. Then I'll decide from there. To me there's simply too much left unknown.
    06-25-2015 04:33 AM
    I think these doubts are mostly there because its been long since windows came up with a flagship that threatened the likes of Apple and Samsung.
    Windows already was late to the party and is suffering because of it but it has to realize it is doing the same thing again with the delay of win10 for phones. I hope they learn from their mistakes. And they should give developers some flexibility when it comes to creating apps. Limiting the eco-system to a large extent will eventually kill the system.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-25-2015 05:00 AM
    I at least hope that the functionality becomes on par with the other platforms. I do understand the keep it simple philosophy but not having basic tools like built in stopwatch, voice recording, ability to edit .doc files in word etc is frustrating.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    06-25-2015 02:23 PM
    I at least hope that the functionality becomes on par with the other platforms. I do understand the keep it simple philosophy but not having basic tools like built in stopwatch, voice recording, ability to edit .doc files in word etc is frustrating.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    Ironically all those concerns you just mentioned are addressed in the latest Windows 10 technical preview 10149. They are definitely headed in the right direction from what I see. This build is usable, quicker and much more polished than previous builds. I'm going to put my SIM card into my 635 & test drive it for a day while at work and see how it works.
    06-25-2015 09:44 PM
58 123