How to get a good Windows 10 Build 10136 Installation with few glitches (Video)

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
So I installed the Windows 10 Build 10136 technical preview onto my Nokia 1520 and had some issues during installation.
After the phone did the initial sequence of downloading and then installing Windows 10 it seemed to be sitting and doing nothing for about 15 to 20 minutes with just a solid blue screen. So I performed a soft reset thinking that it was stuck.
After it rebooted I noticed the phone seemed to just hang again for over 15 to 20 minutes and did another soft reset.

During this I also started to install Windows 10 onto my Nokia Icon which I then left alone on the charger. A few hours later I checked that the phone and noticed that was up and running just fine. It even migrated most of my old apps and settings with no issues and the phone was operating smoothly.

It finally occurred to me that there is a glitch in the installation of Windows 10 Build 10136.
The glitch is that after a reboot during installation it seems to be loading the lock screen and just sits there
However it is still performing the installation in the background. All with the blank screen the phone loads but without any notification that the installation is still in progress in the background.
No progress bar. No text on the screen. THAT is the glitch in this build.

I likely interrupted the installation a few times when I performed the soft restarts and when I left it alone it finally finished but was glitchy.

So I used the Windows Recovery Tool to load Windows 8.1 back onto the phone and then installed Windows 10.
This time leaving it alone even when the screen was displaying nothing for 30 minutes at a time and eventually I got a nice clean installation.

Even Cortana works. :)

Video

https://youtu.be/VAfsFSEjQeo

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Cortana DOES work in this build.
However enabling it is not so cut and dry.

It did NOT work at all at first and just gave me errors and when I tried to turn it on it in the HEY CORTANA settings it just reverted back to the settings page.

I did notice some other settings to leave on so it would learn and eventually Cortana was working more and more as I held the search softkey.

https://youtu.be/kdv8YoOS5wY

Last edited:

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Hope this works on 520
It might.
Just remember to leave it alone for a while when it reboot and seems to be doing nothing.
They seemed to have forgotten to add a progress bar or any status on the screen at that point when it is doing the final setup. Which takes about a half hour or so.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes. We know there is a lock screen bug.

It was stated in the release notes by Microsoft.....

Sometimes I wonder if people read anything before they install Beta software on their phones....

Angry Pixel

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
One more thing which i noticed after getting number of failed installs is that the default region and language settings of your rom matter. I was on a indian ROM and was using ENG-US for all the possible options to use cortana. Every frigging time phone was getting stuck in a bootloop after the gears process in windows 10 installation. I left the default settings on and manage to install without a problem.
After the installation i switched the languages and region settings to get the cortana working. (thank god i downloaded Us keyboard and speech before upgrade :) ) After few hours phone did settled down and was performing really good. I guess a lot of optimization and upgrades take place in background. But then during changing one of the background pic the app got stuck and i had to restart the phone. Now I was stuck with no backgrounds. No matter what i try, i get default solid tiles background. So i took the plunge and hard rested the phone. Got the backgrounds working again but lost the cortana as US speech and keyboard got deleted. Now i tried downloading them again but getting error in downloading everytime :( .
Now i have to flash the 8.1 and go through the whole update again to get everything working :( Fuk my luck. But the problem is, what if the background app gets stuck again and then what??? If i hard reset its back to square one.
Is there any ROM which has US languages as default?? I'm trying the global ROM, lets hope it works.

ncbartschi

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
This bug was actually part of the release notes:

Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10136

For those of you that do choose to make the jump to this build it is SUPER IMPORTANT TO READ THIS: At the end of the upgrade the Lock screen will appear frozen without the date and time for up to 10 minutes. Please be patient and let it sit – eventually the date and time will appear and it will allow you to unlock your phone. There is a post-upgrade migration status screen missing, which normally would show you that it was making progress. If you get impatient and restart or mess with locking/unlocking your phone, you’ll wind up in a funky state – so just relax and let it do its thing.

anon(5346243)

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I have also installed 10136 on my 1520... You mentioned that all is good with your install...

Can you use the Maps (Windows Maps or Here Maps)?.
I would like to be able to use the Windows Maps, but many (me included) seems to have an issue with not being able to install / launch the Windows map application (the Store Beta tells us that we need to upgrade to the latest Windows version ;-) I am on 10136 !)...

If you have a magic way to get the map running, let us know, this is the only thing that is no working for me on 10136 !
(I also add an issue with adding outlook.com account to the outlook mail and calendar app, but upgrading and restoring a previous phone back up during install added my other accounts, hence no longer need to add it manually, which is still broken!)...

Let us know about the maps.
Thanks

Tony.

Nightwolf88

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I advice everybody to take a few minutes and read blogs and post from Microsoft first, before upgrading new build. I know we like to jump on new things but it looks like it was a know bug and they pointed it out :sweaty:. Could have saved a lot of hassle :)

"For those of you that do choose to make the jump to this build it is SUPER IMPORTANT TO READ THIS: At the end of the upgrade the Lock screen will appear frozen without the date and time for up to 10 minutes. Please be patient and let it sit – eventually the date and time will appear and it will allow you to unlock your phone. There is a post-upgrade migration status screen missing, which normally would show you that it was making progress. If you get impatient and restart or mess with locking/unlocking your phone, you’ll wind up in a funky state – so just relax and let it do its thing."
Source: Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10136

EDIT: I see someone else already pointed it out. Just an extra reminder then to take your time when fiddling with preview alpha and beta things :devil:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss