The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
06-26-2015 06:52 PM
71 123
tools
    I'd rather see no Windows phone flagship than a Snapdragon 810 powered one.
    DJCBS likes this.
    06-23-2015 09:36 AM
    Sorry man, but this is also incorrect.

Microsoft bought the entire Nokia Handset and Devices division. This included all of the design, testing and manufacturing. This includes all of the factories and the workers of those factories. Microsoft, NOT Nokia will be designing, testing and manufacturing their devices.

I worked at MS during the time of this acquisition and integration of the former Nokia employees and their business.
    Correct me if I'm wrong

DJCBS seems to be speaking of what Nokia will begin doing after their return to smartphone making in 2016

You seem to be mixing what MS has begun doing, and currently is doing after the purchase of Nokia, with what Nokia is said to begin doing in 2016

Nokia sold off their handsets division to MS (Lumia), and Lumia is now Microsoft's. Microsoft now creates Lumia, and Nokia does not make any phones at all, and is strictly a software company.

Nokia and MS are separate, but the Nokia handset division which used to be a part of Nokia is now under Microsoft...

Nokia now licenses their name to other manufacturers and let's them use the Nokia name on their products, hence Nokia N1... They are currently not allowed to make phones themselves but in 2016 will return to the smartphone game

They will begin in 2016 designing phones again, but who actually manufacture them isnt easy to determine as the Nokia CEO simply says they will look for suitable partners, but also hints that Microsoft makes mobile phones, and that they would simply design them and make the Nokia name available to license.... So will future Microsoft Lumia phones become Nokia Lumia again? Will Nokia start an all new Phone line with a different product name? IDK

Here is the article backing up my last paragraph

But frankly I don't care either... I only care about Microsoft's Flagship reference device that supposedly is to come.. the same way I only care about the Surface tablet PC line & don't really have any interest in what HP or Dell do with their devices, or come out with...So whatever the reference device gets called, that'll be my desired phone, and Nokia or Microsoft Lumia are off my list of interests, unless of course Microsoft's flagship reference device gets placed under the name Lumia, instead of Surface

http://m.windowscentral.com/nokia-ce...phone-industry
    Last edited by bo_woods; 06-23-2015 at 09:54 AM.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    06-23-2015 09:41 AM
    The other thing that sometimes goes without mentioning when discussing the whereabouts and howlongs of the next flagship is just how good, and therefore long-lived, the reigning flagships are. The prospect of a snappier processor, more memory and on-board charging are enough to keep me pining, but there really isn't another device currently available that I am tempted to trade in my Lumia 1520 for. I expect that the next flagship will be a little thinner and lighter, but that doesn't move me (there is a point where the thing just becomes fragile and unsubstantial feeling). It seems unlikely that there will be some novel, new design (such as the Blackberry Passport), so the principle difference between today's flagship and the next, will be running Windows Mobile, which the current flagships are capable of upgrading to. But its the shark thing, of having to always be eating and moving forward or you die. And even when the rivals' new flagships are meh (Galaxy, Iphone), I still get antsy and envious while I'm waiting without even an announced launch to tide me over.
    06-23-2015 09:42 AM
    The other thing that sometimes goes without mentioning when discussing the whereabouts and howlongs of the next flagship is just how good, and therefore long-lived, the reigning flagships are. The prospect of a snappier processor, more memory and on-board charging are enough to keep me pining, but there really isn't another device currently available that I am tempted to trade in my Lumia 1520 for.
    So far we can only really expect a faster processor, sharper display, maybe a thinner design, you know , the usual... what Apple does every year...just tweaks to keep it modern..no telling right now if any innovation will be within this phone, but so far we can say we will have two cool features that our current phones won't support...
    Windows Hello, and Continuum
    06-23-2015 09:59 AM
    Sorry man, but this is also incorrect.

Microsoft bought the entire Nokia Handset and Devices division. This included all of the design, testing and manufacturing. This includes all of the factories and the workers of those factories. Microsoft, NOT Nokia will be designing, testing and manufacturing their devices.

I worked at MS during the time of this acquisition and integration of the former Nokia employees and their business.
    WRONG. I am talking about NOKIA smartphones, NOT Microsoft smartphones, mate. And I'm talking about creating, not manufacturing.
    Read again.

Nokia WILL be returning themselves to smartphones in 2016 and they will be the ones designing everything. Independently of Microsoft Mobile (which shouldn't last very long anyway) and totally independently from Windows Phone or Microsoft itself. In case you didn't get the memo, Nokia still exists, has a Technologies division with ALL their patents in it. Microsoft bought the manufacturing and distribution chain along with some engineers (many of which have, meanwhile, been fired and are actually back at Nokia).

Microsoft does NOT design Nokia phones. Because they're not Nokia. Just like Jolla doesn't design Nokia phones.
    The fact that Microsoft bought some ex-Nokia employees doesn't grant them the ability to produce Nokia phones. Unless Nokia themselves designs them from the ground up and all Microsoft does is manufacture them. Which won't happen because Microsoft will, sooner than later, ditch the hardware division altogether and the only phones out of Redmond will be reference devices like the Surface or the Microsoft Band.

Correct me if I'm wrong

DJCBS seems to be speaking of what Nokia will begin doing after their return to smartphone making in 2016
    You are correct, that's what I was talking about.

They will begin in 2016 designing phones again, but who actually manufacture them isnt easy to determine as the Nokia CEO simply says they will look for suitable partners, but also hints that Microsoft makes mobile phones, and that they would simply design them and make the Nokia name available to license.... So will future Microsoft Lumia phones become Nokia Lumia again? Will Nokia start an all new Phone line with a different product name? IDK
    Suri mentioned Microsoft making phones to illustrate the difference between creating phones and manufacturing them. Microsoft manufactures the phones they create (like LG and Samsung do). Nokia, like Apple and Sony for example, will only create the phones. Others will manufacture them on their behalf.

When he says Nokia will design and license them, that's because you need to license the manufacture of a product for another to produce it. Think of it as the model used in books. The author doesn't manufacture nor sell his own books. A publishing house does. The books don't become a work of the publisher because of that. They're still the author's creation. Same thing will apply (and has applied to the Nokia N1). Nokia creates the "book". An OEM partner - the "publisher" - published it.

Also, this now is PURE speculation because no one has gotten access to the terms of the deal, but the Nokia-LG deal that was signed a couple of weeks ago could very well be part of Nokia's return. LG is also a manufacturer. They'll be licensing mobile patents from Nokia.
    It COULD be possible that among the terms of that licensing deal is that while Nokia provides LG with mobile patents for use in LG phones, LG will manufacture the phones for Nokia.
    Again, this is JUST me speculating but it's a possible outcome.
    bo_woods and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-23-2015 10:21 AM
    What are you guys on about, this is an opinion based article. There actually will be a flagship. Microsoft even promised us in January.
    06-23-2015 10:29 AM
    Microsoft will, sooner than later, ditch the hardware division altogether and the only phones out of Redmond will be reference devices like the Surface or the Microsoft Band.
    Cant wait for this to happen

The MS ecosystem will finally be clean and simple like Apples, while at the same time have the flexibility of Google because of OEM partners

Surface
    Surface Phone
    Microsoft Band
    Hololens
    Xbox

All running Windows & using MS services

I hope the flagship coming this year is the reference device, and not another Lumia Flagship.... More OEM's need to start planting budget Windows Phones everywhere so Lumia can be ditched already, and Nokia would make a great one due to their positive recognition in the "affordability based" markets
    06-23-2015 10:30 AM
    Microsoft Demotes Lumia Smartphones As iOS Takes Priority - Forbes

Interesting perspective on the impact of the recent staffing decisions in Redmond. Obviously one man's opinion and I'm being entirely tongue-in-cheek, but certainly not impossible. The most noteworthy quote from the article:

"With the changes above, I’m expecting the Lumia hardware teams to focus on low- and mid-range handsets, but the goal will be on bringing consumers into Microsoft’s cloud-services rather than trying to fight Android and iOS on marketshare."

...and he tosses a few other daggers into the souls of all of the noble Windows Phone supporters, stomping on a few ponies along the way. Give it a quick read (it's not long) and feel free to offer up your interpretation of the reorganization and whether it could mean the end of high end wp devices. Or you can just hurl some random insults my way. Or both. Or neither.
    Kind of all bull****. There are two high-end devices in late stages of development. I know a lot about them is all I will say (I'm not under NDA, MS has not briefed media yet on them, these are multiple sources who have access to them). The specs that we have reported on are accurate.

"With the changes above, I’m expecting the Lumia hardware teams to focus on low- and mid-range handsets, but the goal will be on bringing consumers into Microsoft’s cloud-services rather than trying to fight Android and iOS on marketshare."
    This tells me this man has no inside info. He's making **** up aka speculating.

Forbes is a pretty ****ty publication these days, imo.

Also, you have to understand: Microsoft may de-emphasize flagships in the sense of not making 5 different semi-flagship-ish devices like Nokia, confusing the market.

Additionally, how the f- are you ever going to get Samsung and HTC on board with high-end devices - globally - if you beat them at every punch. Why would Samsung port over their Galaxy devices when Microsoft has capped the Windows Phone high-end market?

Finally, these moves by Microsoft are fantastic. The idea that hardware and software will be co-developed is amazing. We won't even see the fruits of this until the next releases, but it translates to the OS team and hardware people building a phone tailored to each other aka the iPhone and how Apple does it (also Palm and BlackBerry).
    06-23-2015 11:23 AM
    This^
    06-23-2015 11:55 AM
    These changes are prepping Microsoft to be the consistence, simplicity and reliability Apple while also having the flexibility and openness of Google...

Ms will be the best of both worlds
    Troyseph likes this.
    06-23-2015 01:22 PM
    I may get the 640 xl later this week but I'll still be waiting for the 940 XL with usb3 and Continuum!. However long it takes
    pjm1891 likes this.
    06-24-2015 04:50 PM
    If any of the flagship phones (940, 940XL, 840, 840XL, etc.) are ready and Microsoft is waiting for Windows 10 mobile final completion to release them to the public, that is a huge mistake!
    06-24-2015 05:16 PM
    06-25-2015 12:36 PM
    06-25-2015 02:03 PM
    If any of the flagship phones (940, 940XL, 840, 840XL, etc.) are ready and Microsoft is waiting for Windows 10 mobile final completion to release them to the public, that is a huge mistake!
    Why would you say that?. It would actually make the most sense. Apparently nobody wants W8.1 or cares about it much other than us. So it would make sense to release the W10 software with hardware in the fall. Just my two cents.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-25-2015 10:14 PM
    Why would you say that?. It would actually make the most sense. Apparently nobody wants W8.1 or cares about it much other than us. So it would make sense to release the W10 software with hardware in the fall. Just my two cents.
    Not only that, current hardware won't support Continuum.

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-25-2015 10:55 PM
    Not only that, current hardware won't support Continuum.

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk
    True... Though I'm still keeping my 1520 for a while longer 😊
    06-25-2015 10:57 PM
    .......resuming........
    06-25-2015 11:10 PM
    10149 is clawing its way closer to full functionality. The overall progress outweighs the myriad relative annoyances.
    06-25-2015 11:44 PM
    I really hope the new flagships aren't name under Lumia

I really do

The flagships need a fresh start and not to continue on a burning phone line... MS probably isn't going to stick with Lumia until the end anyway..they are most likely just gonna hold onto it to make budget devices around the world until other OEM's jump in and start doing it... so no use in making your new fresh phones that signal a new beginning on a brand that is too far gone, from the bad numbering scheme to all the budget phones IMO...

Just my predictions/opinions
    06-26-2015 06:00 PM
    Kind of all bull****. There are two high-end devices in late stages of development. I know a lot about them is all I will say (I'm not under NDA, MS has not briefed media yet on them, these are multiple sources who have access to them). The specs that we have reported on are accurate.

This tells me this man has no inside info. He's making **** up aka speculating.

Forbes is a pretty ****ty publication these days, imo.

Also, you have to understand: Microsoft may de-emphasize flagships in the sense of not making 5 different semi-flagship-ish devices like Nokia, confusing the market.

Additionally, how the f- are you ever going to get Samsung and HTC on board with high-end devices - globally - if you beat them at every punch. Why would Samsung port over their Galaxy devices when Microsoft has capped the Windows Phone high-end market?

Finally, these moves by Microsoft are fantastic. The idea that hardware and software will be co-developed is amazing. We won't even see the fruits of this until the next releases, but it translates to the OS team and hardware people building a phone tailored to each other aka the iPhone and how Apple does it (also Palm and BlackBerry).
    Fair enough. At the very least you can agree that Nadella has been a bit cryptic of late (understandably so, that's internal business) regarding how devoted they are to several different projects. I never regarded Forbes as a go to source for tech news (many of them are unapologetic Apple fanboys who I'm convinced have never even tried a wp), and my response and decision to post this was very much tongue in cheek. As cryptic as Nadella has been with his comments and restructuring is left up to interpretation for those that don't have the connections you do and I just wanted to see what others think of their current direction given the recent shakeup.

I'd love nothing more to be able to get a 920 successor and hope there's something of that ilk in the pipeline. Build 10149 has been a pleasant surprise and I'm strongly considering using it for my daily driver.
    Last edited by offbeatbop; 06-26-2015 at 07:21 PM.
    06-26-2015 06:52 PM
71 123