07-05-2015 09:09 AM
82 1234
tools
    That is so me and technology. I just can't handle wondering.

But, there are some nagging bugs that might make you want to keep the 1520 on 8.1. There are plenty of notification issues, texting issues, live tiles not working, apps unable to authenticate, store beta problems. Also a function lacking people app along with the removed facebook integration and linkedin syncing not working. But those are the big ones.
    My position is to wait on my 1520 as well. I don't care about FB or Linked in but texts are important. The store works just fine on the 920 and all my apps install and run normally. But as I think about it, FB notification has been coming through without issue so I'm ok there I suppose. Install results are not as consistent as it should be at this point but, if you could see this 920, you'd be encouraged like I am, real talk.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-24-2015 11:00 PM
    My guess is as with most things that change in this platform, it'll just take you a bit longer to acclimate to the changes. Windows XP ruined it for Windows 98 users, Windows 7, ruined it for those on XP, Windows 8 did the most for those stuck in an android mindset and for them anything approaching this level of change was a disaster. Point is, unless you plan to leave the platform entirely at which none of this will matter once you're gone, which you're not. You don't much care for it today but tomorrow you'll wonder how you were able to get along so long without this. It happens to the best of us.
    ...And the weather app IS gorgeous. :)
    No, you got me wrong. I like change. It's what keeps it (the platform in this case) fresh. I could never use one system forever.
    But I like the change only if it's for the better. Progress, that's what we want, right? Heck, if MS pushed out Windows Mobile 11 as an April fools joke next year would you upgrade just for the fact that it's an upgrade?

I jumped from Windows XP to Windows 7 openhandedly. I did it as soon as I was able to. Even though I was jumping into the mist, I did it because I love new things. And it turned out great because Win7 WAS actually great (and better than XP). The same goes for Windows 8. However this time I knew what I was getting. And I was one of the first people to actually install it. But only because I liked it.
    But this. I don't know, man. It doesn't feel like an upgrade. The functionality is pretty good. However I don't like 80% of the design.
    Kram Sacul likes this.
    06-25-2015 09:18 AM
    One area I thought really felt like an upgrade was the change in app functionality that occurs with screen rotation. They take on the desktop's appearance. All the office apps and some system apps. For instance, in outlook you get a reading pane in landscape mode.

Now that I'm back in 8.1 I miss the changes to the notifications center and settings screen. But I am enjoying the "everything just works" aspect of 8.1.
    920Walker likes this.
    06-25-2015 02:00 PM
    My position is to wait on my 1520 as well. I don't care about FB or Linked in but texts are important.
    I like to pin my close circle of friends and family as individual people tiles. I really came to enjoy the profile photos and statuses auto updating. Without that it now feels kinda dead and static :( But that's not a WP10 problem. Otherwise I rather hate going on to FB as there is too much self absorbed drama going on there.

But LinkedIn keeps it professional. That should probably start working soon.
    Jazmac likes this.
    06-25-2015 02:06 PM
    My position is to wait on my 1520 as well. I don't care about FB or Linked in but texts are important. The store works just fine on the 920 and all my apps install and run normally. But as I think about it, FB notification has been coming through without issue so I'm ok there I suppose. Install results are not as consistent as it should be at this point but, if you could see this 920, you'd be encouraged like I am, real talk.
    Ok jaz...new build awaits:). Downloading 10149 now
    Jazmac and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-25-2015 04:37 PM
    I always get caught with a low battery when the releases hit. Couple hours to go before I have enough charge.
    Jazmac likes this.
    06-25-2015 07:39 PM
    Ok jaz...new build awaits:). Downloading 10149 now
    Just finished the gears and I have the AT&T logo. We shall see MaryBeth.
    p16o6uh2vel1qnb81a6l1fe71sim0_60397.jpg
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-25-2015 08:26 PM
    Just finished the gears and I have the AT&T logo. We shall see MaryBeth
    Can you write about your experience with details?
    Jazmac likes this.
    06-25-2015 08:28 PM
    Ok, I'm done. The phone is a little warm to the touch which probably means its still processing and pairing this update with my Lumia920. I'll leave it sit and get back to it later on.
    06-25-2015 08:36 PM
    Just finished the gears and I have the AT&T logo. We shall see MaryBeth.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p16o6uh2vel1qnb81a6l1fe71sim0_60397.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	107089
    Ha! Once again, your picture nailed it.
    Last edited by mary beth hale; 06-25-2015 at 11:19 PM.
    Jazmac and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-25-2015 08:37 PM
    My 920 is still pre-10136 hoping to jump to the new build this weekend. It sounds very promising. Fingers crossed.
    06-25-2015 08:38 PM
    When I tap "hey Cortana" in extras, I get a funky looking giant settings cog then it says my phone (930) does not support this. Damn. There's some weird stuff going on with icons and pics on my start screen as well. May hard reset this time around.
    Last edited by mary beth hale; 06-25-2015 at 08:53 PM.
    06-25-2015 08:41 PM
    When I tap "hey Cortana" in extras, I get a funky looking giant settings cog then it says my phone (930) does not support this. Damn. There's some weird stuff going on with icons and pics on my start screen as well. May hard reset this time around.
    That's not happy to see you. Hmm. Let me go try turning that on. I was just in the Store. Talk about wow factor. The new store is gorgeous. Let me check on Cortana.
    Last edited by Jazmac; 06-25-2015 at 09:34 PM.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    06-25-2015 09:05 PM
    ... double post
    06-25-2015 09:34 PM
    first-pip-boy.jpg

I'm throwing it on my 920 as I type... Must resist putting ion my 930.
    06-25-2015 10:19 PM

Name:	First PIP-Boy.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	298.2 KB 
ID:	107098

It looks beautiful on the 930
    06-25-2015 11:18 PM

Name:	First PIP-Boy.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	298.2 KB 
ID:	107098

Don't do it man. If I read that it was success, my 1520 gets the nod.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-26-2015 12:44 AM
    I also tried putting Windows 10 Mobile in my Lumia 920 and it actually went as bad as it could go: I accepted the risk and the phone nearly got it installed. But bricked during the process. Up until here, I'm ok with it, was a risk and I took it.

What pissed me off yesterday was after I sent it to the official repair here: they said it would cost me almost 700 to repair it. Somekind of joke I had hoped, but no. Meaning I could buy a few brand new Lumia 920 with that cash rather than repair it.

Main point here is just one: the upgrade risk IS real. Don't ignore it completely. I didn't and even so, they completely killed my love and excitement mood with Windows. There's always a problem, always something. Always about the future, never about the present. I'm trully tired of bugs, lack of features and apps...

Since this is probably my last post in this website, I'll take the opportunity: For the first time in my life I will not own a Nokia phone now. Thanks Microsoft and until never again.
    06-26-2015 04:54 AM
    You say you accepted the risk, but you have not otherwise you wont complain now about bricking your phone by installing a pre alpha OS and dooming MS for your own fault.
    06-26-2015 05:07 AM
    Don't do it man. If I read that it was success, my 1520 gets the nod.
    Anyone who didn't jump on this TP train with the latest 10149 build, should.

bv000025.png
    06-26-2015 06:38 AM
    Wow, yesterday's build seems about flawless. I didn't even do a hard reset but everything so far works. This looks like the first good build.
    Jazmac likes this.
    06-26-2015 06:38 AM
    I also tried putting Windows 10 Mobile in my Lumia 920 and it actually went as bad as it could go: I accepted the risk and the phone nearly got it installed. But bricked during the process. Up until here, I'm ok with it, was a risk and I took it.

What pissed me off yesterday was after I sent it to the official repair here: they said it would cost me almost 700€ to repair it. Somekind of joke I had hoped, but no. Meaning I could buy a few brand new Lumia 920 with that cash rather than repair it.

Main point here is just one: the upgrade risk IS real. Don't ignore it completely. I didn't and even so, they completely killed my love and excitement mood with Windows. There's always a problem, always something. Always about the future, never about the present. I'm trully tired of bugs, lack of features and apps...

Since this is probably my last post in this website, I'll take the opportunity: For the first time in my life I will not own a Nokia phone now. Thanks Microsoft and until never again.
    Did you try the recovery tool? That's what works for most people.

2nd, just take it in to a Microsoft Store if there is one around and see what they say.
    06-26-2015 07:17 AM
    If you liked 10136, try installing 10149. Man! This thing is a gem now. It is fast, pretty fluid and not too many bugs so far. It was good enough that I actually installed it on my daily driver.

Bugs I've run into:
    • There are a few minor screen flashing occurrences. No big deal.
    • Apps saying they can't open and to check for an update in the store, but the Store Beta says the exact same thing. This just means that the apps are installing in the background. Give it 5 minutes and everything will be peachy and apps will be open-able again.
    • Definitely recommend removing the PIN code from your phone with the PIN unlock bug happening, unless you happen to be prone to leaving your phone behind or alone in public. I ran into that bug once, and almost locked myself out of my phone. I instantly went and removed the PIN code.
    • No "Hey Cortana" or Insider Hub. But they said that in advance, so it's livable.

Thankfully, that's all that I've run into so far. Happy Testing!
    06-26-2015 08:40 AM
    Well that was odd... Last night, going from 8.1 to TP put my 920 in the endless gears/reboot loop,so I had to recover the phone (twice) to get it back to 8.1... Then tried 10 again and went to sleep while it was getting set up.... Woke around 4AM and 10 appeared to be running fine, so I went ahead and downloaded my music (from XB Music pass) so I could use it as an MP3 player at work today... Anyhow, when I got to work and went to connect it to my speakers, it had a notification to install another update, which took about an about to install. I wonder why it didn't go straight from 8.x to 10.0.10149.0?

Edit: Crap, I guess none of the music downloaded properly last night.. I'm tethering it now to grab a few albums to get me through the day.

Edit 2: Double crap, I guess you can only stream XB Music at this point in the game.
    Last edited by sinime; 06-26-2015 at 09:48 AM.
    Laura Knotek and Alexis-1991 like this.
    06-26-2015 09:32 AM
    Edit 2: Double crap, I guess you can only stream XB Music at this point in the game.
    This is why I'm holding off on this TP as I use the Music Pass daily. I can stream but Tmob service around my area is horrible.
    06-26-2015 10:44 AM
82 1234