I was bored so my 920 is running 10136

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I posted about being out of the tp game and for all intents and purposes, I still am. But last night I was board and reset my 920. I mean it is MY 920 after all. I couldn't know it had problems and leave it sit there. So I decided to return it to 8.1 and when the apps reinstalled, so did Windows Insider.
I already read how much better 10136 was so if it didn't work out, no biggy. Its not my daily driver. My 1520 is. So true to form, I let it rip on the fast track. 10136 installed.
I put it on my charger and went off to do Cities: Skylines as I do a little bit each night. When I picked it up again. OMG.

What I never counted on was this phone to function worth a dog gone. I was wrong. It looks gorgeous. What I found to be really stunning was the Microsoft weather app. That app is a stunner too. It needs a live tile but the app itself, is beautiful.

Jazmac you old dog you :p (kidding), welcome back to the darkside

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I, however, do kinda like the new Music app, for the sole fact that it's better than Xbox music (which was ultra-terrible), but it's (the new Music app) still as bad as the weather app.

My dad's cassette player is better than Xbox Music. Anything is.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

That is so me and technology. I just can't handle wondering.

But, there are some nagging bugs that might make you want to keep the 1520 on 8.1. There are plenty of notification issues, texting issues, live tiles not working, apps unable to authenticate, store beta problems. Also a function lacking people app along with the removed facebook integration and linkedin syncing not working. But those are the big ones.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
That is so me and technology. I just can't handle wondering.

But, there are some nagging bugs that might make you want to keep the 1520 on 8.1. There are plenty of notification issues, texting issues, live tiles not working, apps unable to authenticate, store beta problems. Also a function lacking people app along with the removed facebook integration and linkedin syncing not working. But those are the big ones.

My position is to wait on my 1520 as well. I don't care about FB or Linked in but texts are important. The store works just fine on the 920 and all my apps install and run normally. But as I think about it, FB notification has been coming through without issue so I'm ok there I suppose. Install results are not as consistent as it should be at this point but, if you could see this 920, you'd be encouraged like I am, real talk.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
My guess is as with most things that change in this platform, it'll just take you a bit longer to acclimate to the changes. Windows XP ruined it for Windows 98 users, Windows 7, ruined it for those on XP, Windows 8 did the most for those stuck in an android mindset and for them anything approaching this level of change was a disaster. Point is, unless you plan to leave the platform entirely at which none of this will matter once you're gone, which you're not. You don't much care for it today but tomorrow you'll wonder how you were able to get along so long without this. It happens to the best of us.
...And the weather app IS gorgeous. :)

No, you got me wrong. I like change. It's what keeps it (the platform in this case) fresh. I could never use one system forever.
But I like the change only if it's for the better. Progress, that's what we want, right? Heck, if MS pushed out Windows Mobile 11 as an April fools joke next year would you upgrade just for the fact that it's an upgrade?

I jumped from Windows XP to Windows 7 openhandedly. I did it as soon as I was able to. Even though I was jumping into the mist, I did it because I love new things. And it turned out great because Win7 WAS actually great (and better than XP). The same goes for Windows 8. However this time I knew what I was getting. And I was one of the first people to actually install it. But only because I liked it.
But this. I don't know, man. It doesn't feel like an upgrade. The functionality is pretty good. However I don't like 80% of the design.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
One area I thought really felt like an upgrade was the change in app functionality that occurs with screen rotation. They take on the desktop's appearance. All the office apps and some system apps. For instance, in outlook you get a reading pane in landscape mode.

Now that I'm back in 8.1 I miss the changes to the notifications center and settings screen. But I am enjoying the "everything just works" aspect of 8.1.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My position is to wait on my 1520 as well. I don't care about FB or Linked in but texts are important.

I like to pin my close circle of friends and family as individual people tiles. I really came to enjoy the profile photos and statuses auto updating. Without that it now feels kinda dead and static :( But that's not a WP10 problem. Otherwise I rather hate going on to FB as there is too much self absorbed drama going on there.

But LinkedIn keeps it professional. That should probably start working soon.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
My position is to wait on my 1520 as well. I don't care about FB or Linked in but texts are important. The store works just fine on the 920 and all my apps install and run normally. But as I think about it, FB notification has been coming through without issue so I'm ok there I suppose. Install results are not as consistent as it should be at this point but, if you could see this 920, you'd be encouraged like I am, real talk.
Ok jaz...new build awaits:). Downloading 10149 now

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I'm done. The phone is a little warm to the touch which probably means its still processing and pairing this update with my Lumia920. I'll leave it sit and get back to it later on.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
My 920 is still pre-10136 hoping to jump to the new build this weekend. It sounds very promising. Fingers crossed.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
When I tap "hey Cortana" in extras, I get a funky looking giant settings cog then it says my phone (930) does not support this. Damn. There's some weird stuff going on with icons and pics on my start screen as well. May hard reset this time around.

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
When I tap "hey Cortana" in extras, I get a funky looking giant settings cog then it says my phone (930) does not support this. Damn. There's some weird stuff going on with icons and pics on my start screen as well. May hard reset this time around.
That's not happy to see you. Hmm. Let me go try turning that on. I was just in the Store. Talk about wow factor. The new store is gorgeous. Let me check on Cortana.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb