I was bored so my 920 is running 10136

Ivo Cunha

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I also tried putting Windows 10 Mobile in my Lumia 920 and it actually went as bad as it could go: I accepted the risk and the phone nearly got it installed. But bricked during the process. Up until here, I'm ok with it, was a risk and I took it.

What pissed me off yesterday was after I sent it to the official repair here: they said it would cost me almost 700? to repair it. Somekind of joke I had hoped, but no. Meaning I could buy a few brand new Lumia 920 with that cash rather than repair it.

Main point here is just one: the upgrade risk IS real. Don't ignore it completely. I didn't and even so, they completely killed my love and excitement mood with Windows. There's always a problem, always something. Always about the future, never about the present. I'm trully tired of bugs, lack of features and apps...

Since this is probably my last post in this website, I'll take the opportunity: For the first time in my life I will not own a Nokia phone now. Thanks Microsoft and until never again.

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
You say you accepted the risk, but you have not otherwise you wont complain now about bricking your phone by installing a pre alpha OS and dooming MS for your own fault.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Wow, yesterday's build seems about flawless. I didn't even do a hard reset but everything so far works. This looks like the first good build.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I also tried putting Windows 10 Mobile in my Lumia 920 and it actually went as bad as it could go: I accepted the risk and the phone nearly got it installed. But bricked during the process. Up until here, I'm ok with it, was a risk and I took it.

What pissed me off yesterday was after I sent it to the official repair here: they said it would cost me almost 700€ to repair it. Somekind of joke I had hoped, but no. Meaning I could buy a few brand new Lumia 920 with that cash rather than repair it.

Main point here is just one: the upgrade risk IS real. Don't ignore it completely. I didn't and even so, they completely killed my love and excitement mood with Windows. There's always a problem, always something. Always about the future, never about the present. I'm trully tired of bugs, lack of features and apps...

Since this is probably my last post in this website, I'll take the opportunity: For the first time in my life I will not own a Nokia phone now. Thanks Microsoft and until never again.

Did you try the recovery tool? That's what works for most people.

2nd, just take it in to a Microsoft Store if there is one around and see what they say.

nubbikins

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
If you liked 10136, try installing 10149. Man! This thing is a gem now. It is fast, pretty fluid and not too many bugs so far. It was good enough that I actually installed it on my daily driver.

Bugs I've run into:
  • There are a few minor screen flashing occurrences. No big deal.
  • Apps saying they can't open and to check for an update in the store, but the Store Beta says the exact same thing. This just means that the apps are installing in the background. Give it 5 minutes and everything will be peachy and apps will be open-able again.
  • Definitely recommend removing the PIN code from your phone with the PIN unlock bug happening, unless you happen to be prone to leaving your phone behind or alone in public. I ran into that bug once, and almost locked myself out of my phone. I instantly went and removed the PIN code.
  • No "Hey Cortana" or Insider Hub. :unhappy: But they said that in advance, so it's livable.

Thankfully, that's all that I've run into so far. Happy Testing!

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Well that was odd... Last night, going from 8.1 to TP put my 920 in the endless gears/reboot loop,so I had to recover the phone (twice) to get it back to 8.1... Then tried 10 again and went to sleep while it was getting set up.... Woke around 4AM and 10 appeared to be running fine, so I went ahead and downloaded my music (from XB Music pass) so I could use it as an MP3 player at work today... Anyhow, when I got to work and went to connect it to my speakers, it had a notification to install another update, which took about an about to install. I wonder why it didn't go straight from 8.x to 10.0.10149.0?

Edit: Crap, I guess none of the music downloaded properly last night.. I'm tethering it now to grab a few albums to get me through the day.

Edit 2: Double crap, I guess you can only stream XB Music at this point in the game.

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Is this a definite problem with the latest release, or is it a only problem for some users?

Just some users. Its elegant on my 920. One thing that saves me is I know not to try to use it just because I see the desktop. The device is usually warm to the touch and that I think means processing is going on. So I wait.

bguy_1986

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Just started this on my old 920 last night. With 8.1 it crashes when I tried to open the camera and has ever since I spilt some beer on it at bw3s! Hopefully it will work enough to play with Windows 10!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I'm giving this a try now on my 920.

Just for caution's sake, after you do a restore to 8.1 (if necessary) / Phone reset/ install of WinXM, do not prompt for your files and settings to be downloaded from the servers. Wait on that. And if your phone is warm to the touch, IT AIN'T READY. Let it sit on the charger until it cools own. Then add apps.

Sam Not Spam

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for posting all this! I've not been happy with the past builds on my 1020 (even after using it as a daily driver for a month or so), so I'm taking a break right now (love the recovery tool). I'll probably jump on again after W10 ships for the desktop market. Keep it up! :)

Cthugha

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Anyone running the latest build on a 925? How is the battery usage, resuming and camera app working? Those issues forced me to go back to 8.1.2 from 10080 when I tried it.

svaethier

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Hope battery issues get fixed in next build,my 920 get pretty hot a lot,probably due with that quiet hours icon flashing all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire