Impossible to install 10149 in a 930/Icon. Infinite loop from logo to gears.

davidts

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi

I don't know the reason but it's impossible to install 10149. I only did with 10080. My 930 is in a eternal loop from gears -> nokia -> gears ... during hours. I have used recovery tool to rollback to 8.1 and I have tried again using a clean install but the problem is still the same. It's curious, the same happened with 10080.

Has anybody experienced the same?

The only particular case: phone without sim

Thanks

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
The lack of sim shouldn't matter. Wish I could help. My 930 downloaded the update without issues. Hopefully someone will jump in with a solution.

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi

I don't know the reason but it's impossible to install 10149. I only did with 10080. My 930 is in a eternal loop from gears -> nokia -> gears ... during hours. I have used recovery tool to rollback to 8.1 and I have tried again using a clean install but the problem is still the same. It's curious, the same happened with 10080.

Has anybody experienced the same?

The only particular case: phone without sim

Thanks
I had the very same problem to my 535 and I re-installed the 8.1 via WPRT and then again the TP. It worked for me. Sim Card shouldn't matter you at all

ncbartschi

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if they're necessarily related, but I had an issue where a hard reset results in spinning gears for a few minutes, following be a frown face and restarting loop. The actual 10149 install went fine, it was the hard reset where I had the spinning gears loop.

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if they're necessarily related, but I had an issue where a hard reset results in spinning gears for a few minutes, following be a frown face and restarting loop. The actual 10149 install went fine, it was the hard reset where I had the spinning gears loop.

Yeah this is a bug in this build. I also faced it at my second attempt. I re-install 8.1 via WPRT and I deleted all the apps and then I installed 10

ncbartschi

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Same here, I encountered it also on my second attempt. First hard reset went fine, but I had to do another reset because of an issue with the store. It was during the process of the second reset I encountered it and had to reset using the WPRT.

I actually started a topic on it, but I just though the lack of replies meant no one encountered it.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Well for some reason mine is in a boot loop and it won't even connect to WPRT.... I'm so upset

Hold down the Volume Down button while it boots up, when you see an explanation mark, press Volume Up, Volume Down, Power, Volume Down in sequence. Doing that will do a hard reset and get your phone up and running.

Good luck!

chasehagen93

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem with my 1020, I had to use WPRT and soft reset my phone using Power + Volume down keys WHILE going to the "My Phone Wasn't Recognized" in the WPRT. It took a few attempts of timing the reset right while it was connected for the tool to detect my phone. Thank god I thought I had a $300 paperweight. These Windows 10 Mobile builds are completely unstable stay as FAR away from them as you can (never had problem like this when I beta tested iOS)!

P.S. Make sure your phone is as charged as possible to do this, I charged mine all night and let it spin before doing this!

ncbartschi

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
These builds are pretty raw, should be technically considered alpha software.

Apple's beta releases are already pretty far along in terms of testing.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
so I wasn't alone. I did a hard reset and it installed it however. I'm good now. If we are on version 10.0.10149, then I'm good.

This is why you need a dummy phone lol​

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Same thing happened on my L920 and L830. Have your tried the NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER FOR RETAIL (Ver. 4.3.2) app? That worked for me. Make sure you have different usb cables, one worked for me and the other didn't...

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem with my Icon. It took about 7 or 8 tries (seriously) to get 10149 to install. I'd tried just about everything when I decided to poke my head in the forums here and saw that several people having similar issues resolved the problem by keeping the phone cool during the upgrade. So I stuck mine in the fridge. Here's the steps I went through on my successful install:

1. Restore to WP 8.1 Update via WPRT (had to do this to resolve the looping gears issue).
2. Install all OS updates.
3. Remove any unnecessary apps.
4. Install the Insider app and set the update path to Fast Ring.
5. Let the phone download and prepare to install build 10149.
6. Charge your phone fully (I did mine with ~85% battery and it was nearly dead after).
7. Start the installation. Wait until you see the gears screen.
8. Remove your phone from the charger. Especially if it's a wireless one. They make the phone hotter faster.
9. Keep your phone cool!!! Putting it in the fridge is a little extreme... using a fan, or even placing the phone on a flat, cold, metal surface will probably do the trick.

Someone made a post stating that Nokia built a safety mechanism into the phones which effectively disconnects the battery when the phone gets too hot in order to prevent damage. I'm not sure that's the case, but I did see a battery icon with a question mark several times on failed attempts. Also, all failed attempts displayed the low battery icon at some point; yet when the phone was restored it had over 50% charge most times.

As silly as it may sound, I tried all the steps above - without the cooling part - several times to no avail. Once I kept the phone cool during the update installation everything went smoothly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes