The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
07-13-2015 07:38 AM
59 123
tools
    The trick that worked for me was to Install 'SysApp Pusher', find 'Glance' when it asks which store, use the Store Beta. Install 'Glance' and it will show up in the App List (Only until you restart your device, at which point it will disappear again, but in the meantime go into your App list and pin Glance to your Start Screen) even when you restart you can access via the pinned version but as stated will disappear from your App List.
    great idea. will try that if I have to hard reset for some reason. For now I live without the ability to access it. Somebody above posted that while you can access the glance screen you actually cannot change anything on it, such as night settings and color, just show or not?
    PS: I do not believe glance screen is responsible for battery drain. For me the main culprits under battery saver are the store app and the music app (huge library).
    06-29-2015 04:51 PM
    The trick that worked for me was to Install 'SysApp Pusher', find 'Glance' when it asks which store, use the Store Beta. Install 'Glance' and it will show up in the App List (Only until you restart your device, at which point it will disappear again, but in the meantime go into your App list and pin Glance to your Start Screen) even when you restart you can access via the pinned version but as stated will disappear from your App List.
    The app is not longer available in the beta store... Microsoft removed it.
    Derausgewanderte likes this.
    06-29-2015 05:08 PM
    The app is not longer available in the beta store... Microsoft removed it.
    sysapp pusher is available here under the old store app. I installed it last night.

edit: never mind. I misread your post. Indeed, glance is not available in store beta anymore and installing it from the old store doesn't work because it already installed.
    06-29-2015 05:20 PM
    I get glance right after hard reset and can set it up, thou only time and notifications. but as soon as its updated via beta store its gone from the extra list.
    I am still testing my battery life and checking out what causing battery drain, it was a 7% loss per hour on average during my night sleep so something must be eating into it. Right now I have my focus on touch (high sensitivity and double tap to wake) or cortana. Will have to test for one more day, then I can test with glance ON again.
    06-29-2015 11:53 PM
    Here, this is how my extra menu looks like right after a hard reset and not updating app via beta store.

Note, it is not a "glance screen", but just "glance."

I even tried installing glance screen from SD card, but no luck.
    Attached Thumbnails wp_ss_20150629_0001-1.png  
    06-30-2015 01:22 AM
    Not working for me because the store (beta) always crashes when I select it to open Glance.
    06-30-2015 01:37 AM
    Try a soft reset, my store beta also crashed a lot and was not able to search, then soft reset fixed it.
    06-30-2015 01:39 AM
    No the store is working fine for me, I think its due to the fact that the glance app is not available anymore in the store beta as stated by users before my post.
    06-30-2015 01:41 AM
    Its not, but it still gets updated in store beta, so it must be "somehere" on the servers :) the only problem is that is disappears from the menu, maybe the trick to "pin it to the start" would work, but I will only be able to test this later in the day when I can perform another hard reset.
    06-30-2015 01:59 AM
    I believe my battery drain was not connected to glance, but to Cortana.

Therefore I am doing another hard reset and will pin glance to start meni before updating via store beta and hopefully this will keep the setting available. Otherwise I will just enable it, set as I like it and update via store beta. This will remove it from Extras but it will stay enabled.
    06-30-2015 05:41 AM
    After going back to 8.1 and upgrading to 10149 without any hard reset I have glance options and have disabled it.
    Now I can find out how it really performs battery wise, still Music app seems to make the phone run hot and battery run down about 1% per minute.
    06-30-2015 06:20 AM
    Interesting...any way of uninstall music app as I dont use it? I think I've read once an article how to uninstall system apps but forgot...

or its enough to just disable it in battery saver?

PS, did you update glance in store beta and its still available?
    06-30-2015 06:31 AM
    FYI, glance cannot be pinned to start, actually nothing from Extras menu cannot be pinned to start.

There goes my plan :/ I guess I wont update it now and just let it be.
    06-30-2015 06:46 AM
    It only drains when using it so if you don't use there is no need to uninstall or block in battery saver.
    I often use my phone when walking to work or in office so don't want battery to be killed before midday.

I didn't look for glance, I don't want to tempt fate by checking store for it or touching it at all now it is off.
    06-30-2015 07:11 AM
    I have the solution: search "glance screen windows phone store" in MS Edge, then click on "install", open with "Store", not the beta, and then it will install it. After that, go to Extras>Glance Screen and you can turn it off or on. Hope that helps!
    06-30-2015 08:41 AM
    I have the solution: search "glance screen windows phone store" in MS Edge, then click on "install", open with "Store", not the beta, and then it will install it. After that, go to Extras>Glance Screen and you can turn it off or on. Hope that helps!
    Does not show the install button on old store - says not available anymore on beta store
    vodda likes this.
    06-30-2015 09:45 AM
    Mmm strange, I did a couple of days ago and no problem. I installed and then search it as "glance screen" with Cortana search and worked
    06-30-2015 10:12 AM
    I don't think this build requires a hard reset. Glance screen hasn't given me any issues after upgrading.
    06-30-2015 10:44 AM
    I was so excited when glance screen actually came up in the beta store... only to be crushed when I read "Sorry, glance screen is no longer available. For help, go to support.microsoft.com" where the "Install" button should be... GRRRR why Microsoft? Why??? /pulls hair out
    06-30-2015 09:54 PM
    Roll back to 8.1 and then upgrade without any hard resets. Glance works great. Even takes on the lock screen photo. Not sure if it did that prior.
    07-01-2015 08:27 PM
    Alright, guys. This is a summary of the whole situation.
    This build -10149- still has lots, and I mean LLOOTTSS of issues. The glance is in no way the reason for the battery drainage. It seems like something is running in the background ALL THE TIME. Try and put your phone face down at night (which disables Glance completely) and it can drain from 100% -> 0% in like 6 hours. Of course that only works after using the phone, because when you're done, something will not shut down completely and will keep on sucking your battery. I'm guessing it's a sync-type issue.
    Hope any Tech Guru can confirm.
    07-02-2015 10:09 AM
    Roll back to 8.1 and then upgrade without any hard resets. Glance works great. Even takes on the lock screen photo. Not sure if it did that prior.

We know that without Hard Reset, the Glance is there. But Hard Reset solves lots of bugs for us. So we were wondering if there's a way to get it back after that. But, apparently, there isn't.
    And yes, the Glance had an option to take on the lock screen photo.
    Last edited by HXD; 07-02-2015 at 10:22 AM.
    07-02-2015 10:11 AM
    From what I have read, it is the hard reset that makes Glance settings disappear. I think we are stuck with this until the next release rolls out.
    07-02-2015 12:08 PM
    Hard reset did not remove glance for me, updating the glance via store beta did. But I am now from 8.1 to 10149 without hard reset and it works just fine.
    07-03-2015 12:16 AM
    We know that without Hard Reset, the Glance is there. But Hard Reset solves lots of bugs for us. So we were wondering if there's a way to get it back after that. But, apparently, there isn't.
    And yes, the Glance had an option to take on the lock screen photo.
    What bugs did he hard reset fix? I've been lucky with this build. I think I've only had to reboot perhaps 2 times.
    07-03-2015 09:23 AM
59 123