Action Centre & Toggles concept !!

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys!

I've came across this Action Centre concept for Windows 10 Mobile from this guy @iamveeo on Twitter and I instantly thought it was pretty interesting.

I really agree we need to see something new up there and this would make me very happy as it sure suits W10 design language more.

To make it even better it could be transparent like in W10

OneDrive link: https://t.co/ZzRIVigzHk

Uservoice: https://t.co/PbpfPo5VhP

Personally I like the A concept.

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
No. Just no. That is SO OLD SCHOOL and UGLY it might actually make me leave Windows for good!!! Lol! Reminds me of Windows Mobile 6. I hope this gets forgotten like G.W. Bush has been forgotten.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
No thank you. I'm actually a fan of the current Action Center. I have a few changes and here's what I would do:
Make the Quick Actions a little wider.
Give us the option to rearrange all of the Quick Actions, and to organize it how we want it.
Add a new page in settings for the Action Center dedicated to this:
Theme opaque (current)
Theme transparent (aero style transparency that matches the theme)
Accent transparent (aero style transparency that matches the accent)
With a transparency slider
The bar at the bottom needs to give us feedback again. When we press down on it have it light up like in Windows Phone 8.1.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't even like the 8.1 action center that much. But Windows 10 action center is pure crap. I can not understand the person that designed it and said OK THIS IS IT!
But the guy who made this concept made it even worse.
First of all, what the heck is going on with the circles lately? Is that some new trend? Is that 'hip' these days? Is that what the kids are doing?
It looks ugly (in my oppinion), and also cluttered. But the one thing I like is bringing the 'All settings' shortcut back where it belongs.

I can not describe to you how much I'm disgusted by the 'Collapse' and 'Expand' buttons. It's such a bad solution, in my eyes, that I don't know if I want to upgrade.
I don't have any ideas to make it better, but I hope comeone comes up with something good, and MS changes it.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't even like the 8.1 action center that much. But Windows 10 action center is pure crap. I can not understand the person that designed it and said OK THIS IS IT!
First of all, what the heck is going on with the circles lately? Is that some new trend? Is that 'hip' these days? Is that what the kids are doing?
It looks ugly (in my oppinion), and also cluttered. But the one thing I like is bringing the 'All settings' shortcut back where it belongs.

I can not describe to you how much I'm disgusted by the 'Collapse' and 'Expand' buttons. It's such a bad solution, in my eyes, that I don't know if I want to upgrade.
I don't have any ideas to make it better, but I hope comeone comes up with something good, and MS changes it.

Yeah but every other OS has this expand thing now, I liked it on Kitkat when I didn't need to do it hah. And I agree on the settings should be where it was.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

And yes Circles.. You must count in the fact that the majority of people hate squares on their phones. The most popular reason why WP is not popular.. Look at Windows 8

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
And yes Circles.. You must count in the fact that the majority of people hate squares on their phones. The most popular reason why WP is not popular.. Look at Windows 8

Citation needed.

(The chief problems are app selection, public image and in the case of Windows 8, not being stagnant )

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Citation needed.

(The chief problems are app selection, public image and in the case of Windows 8, not being stagnant )

I respect you but please don't lie to your self. All you need to do is just walk outside, show your Windows Phone.. Top 1 reply I got is "WTF are those squares"

Or you know you can check comments from other Fan clubs (Which are bigger) about Windows design

+ Guess what was is the most popular complaint about Windows .. Yes, Tiles

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm like one of 5 out of 500 using a Windows Phone on my school. And I'm ******** about how good it is but it doesn't help, cos the Tiles are fugly @ LOL

sweeperdk

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Eh... The Metro design is vastly seen as something quite awesome amongst designers worldwide, due to its simplicity and ease of use.

Sorry dude... But you're hard pressed to find any designer say anything negative about the design, from both an aesthetical point of view, as well as functional point of view.

I'm generally an apple freak, but have a 930 as a backup phone... And I too prefer the design of WP...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I respect you but please don't lie to your self. All you need to do is just walk outside, show your Windows Phone.. Top 1 reply I got is "WTF are those squares"

Or you know you can check comments from other Fan clubs (Which are bigger) about Windows design

+ Guess what was is the most popular complaint about Windows .. Yes, Tiles

I also respect your opinion, but I could argue you are doing the same.

I've done that before, I get "cool" and whatnot. Not "WTF are those squares" oddly enough.

The only real deal breaker stems from "does it have Snapchat?" and related questions. Primarily of the "but doesn't it have no apps?" kind.

Isn't anecdotal evidence great?

Online, the chief issue is the app selection, both the perception and the actual issue. I only really hear about the design from people complaining about hamburgers and *those* kinds of persistent article-to-article trolls.

It's certainly different though, and it can be a factor, but I don't think it's THE issue.

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Of those proposed Action Center changes, I have to vote for concept B; I think it vastly improves readability & usability. Concept A is probably more coherent with the new W10 design language, but that can be argued both ways...

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Eh... The Metro design is vastly seen as something quite awesome amongst designers worldwide, due to its simplicity and ease of use.

Sorry dude... But you're hard pressed to find any designer say anything negative about the design, from both an aesthetical point of view, as well as functional point of view.

I'm generally an apple freak, but have a 930 as a backup phone... And I too prefer the design of WP...

Designers.. Exactly. I deal with design and I'm the one using Windows Phone. However when you try to explain things to normal people, this "Perfect" design means nothing, this is where I get feedback.. From the design point of view I still prefer Material from Google and the way they create it in real life and then recreate in programs.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Of those proposed Action Center changes, I have to vote for concept B; I think it vastly improves readability & usability. Concept A is probably more coherent with the new W10 design language, but that can be argued both ways...

My point was exactly W10 language :)

sweeperdk

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Designers.. Exactly. I deal with design and I'm the one using Windows Phone. However when you try to explain things to normal people, this "Perfect" design means nothing, this is where I get feedback.. From the design point of view I still prefer Material from Google and the way they create it in real life and then recreate in programs.

Sorry, but yeah... YOU prefer that.

The designers I know tend to test their stuff... You know... UX is a fairly big thing, not to be taken lightly. So they test their apps by bringing them to a lot of users. Also, the funny thing is... People are unhappy with WP due to the lack of quality apps... Not due to the design.

I think I've exposed my WP to about 4-500 people so far, the people being a fair mix of designers, endusers, regular non-techie types and so on: A good mix of people.

Every single one of them like the design and UI. Every... single... one.

Joint consensus: If the app ecosystem was closer to that of android or iOS, they'd be tempted to switch.

Bonus info:

Why would they be tempted to switch? Three answers:

Build quality seems high
UI design is different and very appealing
Live Tiles rock!

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, but yeah... YOU prefer that.

The designers I know tend to test their stuff... You know... UX is a fairly big thing, not to be taken lightly. So they test their apps by bringing them to a lot of users. Also, the funny thing is... People are unhappy with WP due to the lack of quality apps... Not due to the design.

I think I've exposed my WP to about 4-500 people so far, the people being a fair mix of designers, endusers, regular non-techie types and so on: A good mix of people.

Every single one of them like the design and UI. Every... single... one.

Joint consensus: If the app ecosystem was closer to that of android or iOS, they'd be tempted to switch.

Bonus info:

Why would they be tempted to switch? Three answers:

Build quality seems high
UI design is different and very appealing
Live Tiles rock!

Like Google designers doesn't test their stuff .. That's why so many people prefer Pure Android on their Devices.. Maybe its more popular within youngsters.. Exactly the ones who buy new phones every few months here. Windows Phone 8.1 super rare.

And if this trend is going to change its going to be cos of Windows 10 Mobile. I'll probably be the only one using it for quite some time lol.

sweeperdk

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Like Google designers doesn't test their stuff .. That's why so many people prefer Pure Android on their Devices.. Maybe its more popular within youngsters.. Exactly the ones who buy new phones every few months here. Windows Phone 8.1 super rare.

And if this trend is going to change its going to be cos of Windows 10 Mobile. I'll probably be the only one using it for quite some time lol.

I know two others with a WP... Why? Quality of apps, or lack thereof. Pure and simple. Windows 10 won't do anything in regards to more phone sales, alone. The apps need to be improved. If not, then it's a lost cause.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb