07-11-2015 01:58 PM
45 12
tools
    I read somewhere here to NOT allow any of the apps you own to be auto downloaded to the phone and to install them manually. I updated my m8 again and even though quirky at times, its holding up. I may try again on my 1520 doing the same thing.
    @txkimmers: I've noticed that even on the original store, the apps may not appear. You can grab a few of them but some just won't show. Like my AT&T Digital Life app. It's telling me its no longer available but on my device running 8.1, its there to download.
    07-03-2015 11:43 AM
    Alright! Round 4 dag nabbit!
    dust-yourself-off-.jpg
    07-04-2015 04:31 PM
    one question to 10149 please...where is the cortana tile? i cant find cortana neither on the all apps list, nor on the beta store or elsewhere..how can i get back that tile?
    I have 10149 in my spare Nokia Icon.

Just press the search soft and then the menu to get into Cortana is right there.
    07-04-2015 05:45 PM
    I've got a spare Nokia Icon at home that I run Windows 10 on and after it upgraded to 10149 I've noticed that it is very responsive to launch apps.
    The new EDGE browser hauls ***.

The one thing preventing me from installing Windows 10 into my 1520 (again) is that several apps are stuck at the store including Nokia Mix Radio.
    So far that is the MUST HAVE app out of the 8 or so stuck apps at is making it a deal breaker.

Although the new Music app with it's cloud based (one drive) feature to access all of your music might be option.
    07-04-2015 05:52 PM
    I gave up. Ongoing issues with the SD card, and then last night I picked up my Frankenphone and put in my pin and nothing happened. Left it overnight, having read that I just need to "give it time" in a case like that, but nope. Gave it time, reboots galore, begging on bended knee...could not get past the lockscreen. So I am back on 8.1. It's frustrating because the preview build was SO TANTALIZING. I really cannot wait until the final version comes out...um, but I will be. I will be.
    07-04-2015 06:18 PM
    Alright! Round 4 dag nabbit!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dust-yourself-off-a.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	107701
    That's the spirit!
    Jazmac and aximtreo like this.
    07-04-2015 07:18 PM
    Feedback: Installed this past Friday morning. Got the usual bugs which I fixed with work around like the dialler. Only installed updated Apps today and the build had been sweet. Only two reboots and froze once when I received a call. At first Apps were launching slowly but as the day progressed they began to optimise. Only big I have Is failing to save a contact in the phonebook. Music app is great and some Apps only update through the old store instead of the new one.
    aximtreo likes this.
    07-04-2015 07:23 PM
    I gave up. Ongoing issues with the SD card, and then last night I picked up my Frankenphone and put in my pin and nothing happened. Left it overnight, having read that I just need to "give it time" in a case like that, but nope. Gave it time, reboots galore, begging on bended knee...could not get past the lockscreen. So I am back on 8.1. It's frustrating because the preview build was SO TANTALIZING. I really cannot wait until the final version comes out...um, but I will be. I will be.
    When you finished your installation, did you log in and allow all your apps to redeploy?
    07-05-2015 02:22 AM
    "When you finished your installation, did you log in and allow all your apps to redeploy? "

Oh yes, definitely. I had almost two solid days of enjoying 10149, it was great. Even the SD card was annoying but not a dealbreaker, because the workaround was just to re-boot the phone. Then at some point I just picked it up, put in my pin (have to have a pin if I am going to get work email on it too, so that's why the pin), and nothing happened. Leaving it alone for several hours didn't work, and really, how could that be a viable option on a device you are trying to use? Rebooting didn't work, doing the down/up/power/down button push--nothing. And I have no explanation for what brought it on aside from...hubris? So, nope, had to go back to 8.1 just to get into the phone.

I will admit, I am sorely tempted to try again though. It's a new day. It might be just fine this time...
    07-05-2015 09:55 AM
    Oh yes, definitely. I had almost two solid days of enjoying 10149, it was great. Even the SD card was annoying but not a dealbreaker, because the workaround was just to re-boot the phone. Then at some point I just picked it up, put in my pin (have to have a pin if I am going to get work email on it too, so that's why the pin), and nothing happened. Leaving it alone for several hours didn't work, and really, how could that be a viable option on a device you are trying to use? Rebooting didn't work, doing the down/up/power/down button push--nothing. And I have no explanation for what brought it on aside from...hubris? So, nope, had to go back to 8.1 just to get into the phone.

I will admit, I am sorely tempted to try again though. It's a new day. It might be just fine this time...
    I was afraid you would say you allowed it to. I figured out I needed to avoid that.

You don't want to allow your apps and settings to from 8.1 to come on down into 10149. Some of the settings, and I am not completely sure which ones refuse to cooperate with WinXM or visa versa. It always seems to work initially but you'll touch something like the calculator in my case and its like you pulled the wrong orange from the fruit stand that caused the rest to roll off onto the floor. So I've found it better not to allow it. Just load your apps from the store a few at a time. It takes longer but works out better in the long run.

Speaking of which, I did just that on my 1520 yesterday afternoon and...

wp_ss_20150705_0001.jpgwp_ss_20150705_0002.jpg

Start screen is an unorganized mess so far but that's how things look when you first move in. :) With the exception of Proshot, all my apps seem to be working. No overheating or battery issues. Proshot works but I thinks I only own a demo copy when I own a full license.

On my HTC M8, AT&T Digital Life won't install because it thinks my device doesn't meet the requirements. It says the M8 has less than 512 ram. lol.
    07-05-2015 10:58 AM
    Argh, you are making me want to try again! :-)
    07-05-2015 12:35 PM
    Argh, you are making me want to try again! :-)
    I didn't want to either but pride is one hell of a motivator. :)

I'm going to leave my 1520 off the charger today. It won't be a daily driver for now but I need to see how the battery behaves. I'll check on it tonight but during the day, I'll pick it up and run stuff and install an app or two I'll need eventually but it'll remain off the charger.
    GrayW0lf likes this.
    07-05-2015 01:20 PM
    My 1520 is my daily driver and we getting along (touch wood). Battery is lasting long enough though charging is slower. But it's ok having fun. How they release another build do deal with the bugs.
    Jazmac likes this.
    07-05-2015 02:52 PM
    "I was afraid you would say you allowed it to. I figured out I needed to avoid that."

OMG I think I am going to try again.
    Ok, so just to be clear: After the upgrade, I didn't restore any kind of backup from 8.1, so the only apps that were updating were things like Travel, Skype, Money, etc, i.e., stuff that they want you to have with the system. Is that what you refer to when you say, don't let them update? Can I keep them from auto-updating by customizing the set up instead of going with "recommended" or should I just get right into a hard reset as soon as the firmware pulls up the start screen?

In other news, another thing I learned (the hard way): keep your SIM in while doing all this. I had a situation when going back to 8.1 where Reset Protection was requesting a recovery key and when I went to get it from Find My Phone, it wasn't there. Apparently MS tracks your phone via your SIM, and not your IMEI, which seems weird to me.
    Jazmac likes this.
    07-05-2015 05:42 PM
    Good luck. I had my backup install automatically, never did a hard reset. I decided that if it was running ok so why do a hard reset if I didn't have to. All goog so far.

1320 btw.
    Jazmac likes this.
    07-05-2015 06:14 PM
    Because of an urgent personal situation, I requires a phone that was rock solid for the last 48 hours so I rolled my 930 back to 8.1. Situation resolved and I'm re-downloading 10149. I missed it. Guess I'm hooked!
    07-06-2015 08:01 PM
    Because of an urgent personal situation, I requires a phone that was rock solid for the last 48 hours so I rolled my 930 back to 8.1. Situation resolved and I'm re-downloading 10149. I missed it. Guess I'm hooked!
    Yes you are Marybeth. lol. I used my HTC M8 yesterday. I used it moderate to heavy yesterday and it was off the charger from 7:20 am. By the evening, about 10:30 PM, my battery was down to 56 percent. I was a bit surprised it would be this good. Moreover, apps are especially fast on this build, almost instantaneous. And Edge is flat out beast on my M8. I have never seen web pages render so fast, even on my 1520 running 8.1.. Wednesday, I'll swap sims and take it out on the road. I miss having it but my M8, ain't no slouch.The more I use it the smoother it gets. Microsoft is onto something really big with WinXM.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    07-06-2015 09:51 PM
    Update...10166...faster,smoother...oh yeah
    txkimmers likes this.
    07-11-2015 10:10 AM
    I ended up installing 10 on my 925, kept my 640 on 8.1, and just yesterday installed the 10166 update. It fixed a lot of the small issues I was seeing, although my installation of 10 on the 925 seemed to go much more smoothly than with my 640. Now I am just trying to decide if I will put 10166 on both devices. And I am so glad they re-re-named Search back to Cortana!
    Jazmac likes this.
    07-11-2015 12:34 PM
    I had to use nokia recovery first on 1520 then it updated to the latest build. So far so good , need to test the battery drain on this .. Previous build killed my 1520 in 4 hours , let's see how this one goes..
    Jazmac likes this.
    07-11-2015 01:58 PM
45 12