Why did I roll back from W10 10149 to WP8.1

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
I personally am not getting these issues. My trick was to update everything in 8.1 (languages keyboards etc) AFTER a hard reset in 8.1 and don't install anything. Just go through the upgrade process. Let it settle for a few hours and then hard reset with a clean install. I'm not getting these issues. (except the quiet hours blinking) messages are sent and received internet data works everything...works...albeit a few quirks.
Side note Cortana doesn't speak nor does she hear me but this was an issue since 8.1
L1020

Prady Sabharwal1

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
The biggest issue when installed it on my Lumia1520 was call history and call notification was not working at all.
If I missed any call, there is nowhere I can see that who called up.
Another setback was not having unified mailbox to see mails from different mail accounts, you have to open individual mail account to check emails.

JBG1952

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure I must be the old timer (over 60) but I have enjoyed fussing with WP 10. I bought a used Icon to try it out before taking it out on the road. Swapping a SIM chip is easier than rebuilding your "daily driver". Of course I had trouble, lots of trouble between 10080 and 10149, but during the course of solving the issue I learned more about the nuances of WP 10 which I believe will make me more proficient once it finally comes out (it's hard for my generation to keep up with you youngsters). I like what MSFT is trying to do here. They have gone back in time and have become a bit edgy and more engaging with their customers, so much better than their recent corporate days. I hope they keep this type of program. The user feedback has to be invaluable to them.

Scholle3000

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
My issue is that the Exchange setup doesn't work anymore if company policies are established by the exchange administrator. So my Hewlett Packard mail account stops working since release 10149. Another of my phones with release 10136 is still working. What a shame for Microsoft that one of the biggest IT-componies is not supportet.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Should I create a thread called "Why this is called a preview". This is not the final OS, when you read the positive reviews, our feedback is based on progress from the previous build, new features and performance improvements in comparison to what it has been in previous W10Mobile previews. We're not saying its a great and that its good enough to be a final product OS. Personally, when I say it's good enough for everyday use, I say that in the sense that its stable enough to be BETA tested for every day use. as the previous builds weren't even stable enough to for testing to provide any real feedback.

I'm running it on my Lumia 1020 and find it quite stable --- as someone already mentioned, it's best to hard reset before going to this build. I'll probably do it before going to each build from here on out.

jmagwp

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I rolled back to 8.1 because the last build was so bad my Lumia Icon was mostly unusable. Now I want to install the latest build and it won't take. I keep getting "Can't update phone ... It's probably a temporary problem. To try again, go to Settings > Phone update. (0x80070020)."

So it looks like I'll need to do a complete wipe and try it again because the phone tries to install the update once a day and gives me the same error every time.

hack14u

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I never have understood why people say to wait a few days, or hours until it "settles" down. It's a mini computer, would you wait for your PC to do this? No way. Either it works or it doesn't. Anyhow, I have rooted and rom'd many, many a phone, and this isn't even close to something I would run. Not much was working right at all. Rolled back in less than an hour it was so buggy, and that's coming from someone who has used Cyanogenmod, lmao.

hack14u

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure I must be the old timer (over 60) but I have enjoyed fussing with WP 10. I bought a used Icon to try it out before taking it out on the road. Swapping a SIM chip is easier than rebuilding your "daily driver". Of course I had trouble, lots of trouble between 10080 and 10149, but during the course of solving the issue I learned more about the nuances of WP 10 which I believe will make me more proficient once it finally comes out (it's hard for my generation to keep up with you youngsters). I like what MSFT is trying to do here. They have gone back in time and have become a bit edgy and more engaging with their customers, so much better than their recent corporate days. I hope they keep this type of program. The user feedback has to be invaluable to them.

Man, good for you! I really do mean that. I love it when I hear stories like this, my parents are like 65 and well, if it doesn't have a remote, or a big F for Facebook, they don't know how to use it.

STALKER-SVK

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
slower than 8.1, drains battery, quick settings toggles randomly flashing, some app that worked in 8.1 do not work in 10 (like Metro File Manager, app installs but I can't see its icon in app list)

kishtyle

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
For me the best thing on windows mobile 10 was photos app, as it caches all my photos on onedrive without downloading them. Also, backup of all the apps is made to onedrive, which is great. But, after a day I think it started to behave weird like sms sent are not delivered/received, background apps settings are not accessible, there is a competition between store and store beta in updating apps and sometimes both endup giving an error etc..Then I tried hard reset and some of the apps stopped working and even disappeared like glance,...had hell of a time trying to change glance background and at last gave up. And once I had to make apayment and my bank send an OTP (one time password) which was not received ....I had to reboot to get it...This was the point I gave up....SMS is the basic function of the phone and if that does not work properly whats the point of having one...so had to revert back this morning...win 8.1 is perfect..will stick to it for now.

DaxeTM

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
I did a reset on my phone and I have almost no native apps at all! Messaging app, Settings, Store (Beta), I have none of that after my reset! o_O

bcolston

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't play games, but the only problem i have with my L930 is with replying to text via Cortana on my car kit that kills my phone, but apart from that using my L930 with W10 on a daily basis

Shane Richardson1

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I have installed 10149 on my Lumia Icon. I have been fighting through the unbearable glitches this week in order to comment back to Microsoft what needs fixing. No Alpha software is actually a daily driver unless you have a faithful alternate. If you install this (or any) technical preview, make sure you have an alternate phone on which you can depend. Please report all bugs and solutions to Microsoft so they can build a better OS for us all! :)

vijax21

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft Lumia 640 dual SIM
1. Occasional restarts
2. unable to access some of the apps (even Phone app) requires restarts
3. Battery life reduced by maybe 50%
4. after setting up Data Sense I would still get notification for exceeding my limit. despite the usage shows 0MB on carrier network

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for this! I on the other hand have a more positive experience with Windows 10 on my Lumia 930, but that was after I did a factory reset on Windows 10. No lag, works smoothly...

I only notice two things:
  1. The phone heats up sometimes (didn't figure out what exactly yet).

1. NFC! Turn it off - you probably don't need it, unless you do tap-to-pay or tap-to-share-contacts, and I've never met a single person who does. The phone will be much cooler.

nv00021

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I have the luxury of having a 1520 (daily driver) and a 930 which I use as a test machine.....the heat issue for me is HUGE. You can barely hold on to the phone after some extended usage...and in conjunction with that the battery drain is crazy.....everything is working well though....so I am not sure whats causing this crazy overheating??

Just my 2 cents.....

​NJV

Jephren Perez

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 1020 on 10149:
+ Very smooth, no major load time lag (or at least not a noticeable difference from 8.1 dev preview)
+ No "won't turn on and needs a hard reset" bug like I had on 8.1

- Messaging app randomly won't send/receive ; sends same message 5 or 6 times upon reboot
- Outlook wouldn't let me add Google account at first; on the "app permission" page of the Google web login I couldn't click accept; workaround: click one of the info links above that first and then it will let you click it.
- Photos app still crashing fairly often on me when just trying to view images.

Lumia 520 on 10149
+ Way more responsive than previous builds overall

- A few apps struggle to respond to touch, likely just due to low memory more than anything

*Haven't tested 520 on a cellular network, so not sure about messaging

Overall thoughts:
Excellent "first beta", definitely not a full-on daily driver. Still using my 1520 on 8.1 for that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss