Anybody successfully gone from a clean Windows Phone 8.1 Install to Build 10149?

Dan Harris

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm just wondering if anybody has been able to go from a clean Windows Phone 8.1 install, directly to build 100149.

Unfortunately my test device, a Lumia 435 has had the same problem about 5 times now. Everybody I know has gone from 10080 or 10136, and not from 8.1 directly to 10149.

I restored this phone using the WPRT to 8.1, and so now need to jump right to 10149 to get back onto Windows 10. The install seems to download and start fine, and I get the screen with the cogs and the progress bar goes all the way to the end.

Then the phone reboots, I see the Microsft Logo, then for a split second the Windows Logo. After that, the Microsoft logo shows again, but with a black square over the centre of it.

The last thing to then happen is to see the cogs on screen again for about 5-20 seconds. The phone then turns off.

I've reset multiple times, and just wondering whether it's the fact you can't go from 8.1 to 100149 at the minute, or if I'm just unlucky with this device.

Dan Harris

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for confirming it's possible - I will likely just wait now until the next build and see if that works for this device.

Based on the feedback I'm tempted to install this on my Lumia 1020 daily driver so I can start giving more and more feedback (Always easier to spot things when it's a device you are usually constantly throughout the day), but wanted to give it a go on the 435 first and see how well specific features work.

On the bright side, we will hopefully be seeing builds every 1 - 2 weeks for Mobile now based on the time between 100136 and 100149, and any future builds should only get better for when I can next try it out.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ Definitely don't use it as a daily driver yet. Most reports are comparing to earlier builds, to which 10149 compares favorably, but it's still far from daily driver material.

If you update, it's preferable to use a device that was hard reset with all apps uninstalled and without restoring from backup when complete. Which OS version you are updating from (8.1, another preview, or otherwise) is less important.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I went from 8.1 straight to the latest build, it migrated all of my apps and settings for the most part. There were some niggles and apps that needed re-installing but I'm pretty much there now I think. It is a little slower than it was with 8.1 but not annoyingly so (Lumia 930). It's not 100% but as far as using it as a daily driver goes, that's what I'm doing right now, and I haven't come across anything show stopping so far.

Though there was a minor annoyance this morning when my alarm woke me up (with a different sound to 8.1), snoozed it, then almost immediately the alarm started again but with the sound that I had set in 8.1. In the alarm app, it only shows the one alarm, so it would seem that the alarm from 8.1 got migrated, but the original alarm is still active as well somewhere. A hard reset will resolve it, but I might just live with it for now, I could always turn the alarm off and just have the hidden one go off each morning which is fine. But it will be annoying when I'm on holiday and don't want to be woken up...

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I also upgraded to the latest build from WP8.1. Took a while, but it worked better than any previous upgrade with only minor fiddling needed afterwards.

I've been using it on my primary phone for the past few days now. I get the occasional lag, some app crashing and a couple of times the phone died altogether. Certainly stable enough for everyday use for me.

Dan Harris

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Which OS version you are updating from (8.1, another preview, or otherwise) is less important.

Although I agree this is probably true in terms of what experience you have once the upgrade is complete, it does seem possible that the original OS has the possibility to impact whether it works at all. (In this case, the fact I'm on 8.1 doesn't appear to be the cause)

Below, my reason for thinking to ask about 8.1 direct to 10149:

For example you couldn't go from 10080 to 10136, yo had to roll back to WP 8.1 if you were on 10080.

Another is that some people on 10136 can't update to 10149, which is listed as a known issue that should be fixed this week.

Although it shouldn't matter as much which OS you come from, the points above are what made me think of asking whether anybody else had successfully gone from 8.1 to 10149.

I'd have to try any build on my test device before using it as a daily driver, but I'm hoping to as soon as it's "just good enough" for daily use. I'm happy to workaround issues, and if need be rollback to 8.1 using the recovery tool. Afterall all of my pictures are backed up to OneDrive and they are really the most valuable data on my phone.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ You're right about all that of course. The correct way to think about it is this:

As long as you can update from version A to version B, what version A was has absolutely no impact on how version B functions. None.

This assumes all store apps are deleted and not restored from backup however, because those things are otherwise reused from the previous installation. That's why it's often best (at least safest) to do a hard reset before (and sometimes also after) updating.

When you flash the phone using WPRT you get the same clean-install affect, since this doesn't include any type of app migration process.

Last edited:

Andrew_404

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
I went from 8.1 update 2 straight onto the Win 10. Did on Saturday night and so far I'm really impressed. Nokia 735 is my daily phone. I've tried previous versions on Win 10 but always went back to 8.1. After loading 8.1, I went ahead and installed the Windows insider app. Loaded update 2 and deleted the insider app during the update to avoid my phone attempting to load Win 10. Once update 2 was done, I went ahead and installed Win insider app again and loaded up Win 10 latest build with no issues at all. Good luck.

naeem151287

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I just haven't been able to update from 8.1 to 10049. I was on 10036 on my 1520 and updated to 10049 without any trouble. But I was getting some errors and crashes and decided to start fresh. When I did a reset I got the spinning gear and then :-( (sad smiley). So I used WPRT to go back to 8.1. On 8.1 I downloaded the Windows Insider app, selected Insider Fast (only available option) and it downloaded 10049. But every time I try to install it's giving me :-( and then returning to 8.1. I have no idea what's going on.

SagarSadbhaiya

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
I did a clean install on my 8.1 as my L830 got stuck with the rare situation of not unlocking with the PIN after the upgrade from 10136 to 10149. I recovered back to 8.1 n then upgraded to 10149.. No problems since then it's too smooth..using it as my daily driver!!!

y2B1323

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Naeem I had the same problem on my 1520, went back to 8.1, did all updates, saved all my apps to sd card (because Wp 10 took up over 4 gb of other storage fo 512 Mb of apps) installed all wp updates, did preview for developers updates, then did wp 10 update. Everything is going smoothly now. Hope this helps.

naeem151287

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
​Omg, unbelievable! I had my doubts but this actually worked! This is what I did -

1. Flashed Indian ROM (from HK)
2. Didn't restore anything.
3. Deleted all 3rd party apps.
4. Installed Preview for Developers.
5. Completed all updates.
6. Installed Windows Insider and selected Fast Ring.
7. Downloaded build 10049.
8. When installation started (gears screen), put the phone in the refrigerator. It got to 100% after about 30 minutes and got stuck. Removed SD card and installation completed successfully!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
One key thing to note, once you have installed the preview build leave the phone alone if install is successful. After installing it on my 920 straight up from 8.1 with no prior hard reset, I left it alone for 45 minutes to cool down and it was buttery smooth.

If you can leave it on a surface that dissipates heat pretty quickly whilst installing that will help the phone immensely (Personally, I used my Pro Book's lid as it is brushed aluminum). As it will prevent over heating and a o/s shut down resulting in a crash as the phone is too hot to operate (failed install) I imagine this is what happened to quite a few people.

Another thing that will also help is uninstall all unnecessary applications and games + move all your data off the phone prior to updating to a new build. The benefits here are three fold - 1) you have everything backed up 2) the migration stages take alot less longer 3) there are no issues of dupelicate updating from the old store and new store (reported by some users). The other benefit is that there is more room for the extracted files.

Can we install windows 10 Mobile build 10149 on Lumia 920 ? I am currently on WP 8.1

Yes, you can I would only recommend it if you seriously know what your doing and are prepared to take a risk in possibly bricking your phone, data loss (game saves) etc.

Always back everything off the phone up onto a PC or laptop, unfortunately apps you cannot back up apps that have long been unpublished nor games via the desktop file explorer.

ShuaibHassim

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
​Omg, unbelievable! I had my doubts but this actually worked! This is what I did -

1. Flashed Indian ROM (from HK)
2. Didn't restore anything.
3. Deleted all 3rd party apps.
4. Installed Preview for Developers.
5. Completed all updates.
6. Installed Windows Insider and selected Fast Ring.
7. Downloaded build 10049.
8. When installation started (gears screen), put the phone in the refrigerator. It got to 100% after about 30 minutes and got stuck. Removed SD card and installation completed successfully!

download links for india rom for lumia 930?
thnx

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If it is not working I would suggest refraining from this build. Repeatedly updating in this manner is like playing roulette or poking a bear with a stick. jtag recovery is not easy, documentation is sparse, and if you do not have the equipment or soldering skills you will be spending north of $90 to get your phone in a usable state XD

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for confirming it's possible - I will likely just wait now until the next build and see if that works for this device.

Based on the feedback I'm tempted to install this on my Lumia 1020 daily driver so I can start giving more and more feedback (Always easier to spot things when it's a device you are usually constantly throughout the day), but wanted to give it a go on the 435 first and see how well specific features work.

On the bright side, we will hopefully be seeing builds every 1 - 2 weeks for Mobile now based on the time between 100136 and 100149, and any future builds should only get better for when I can next try it out.

Just flashed my friend's 520 from a clean 8.1 install to 10149 yesterday, no issues and frankly smoother than my 1020. My advice is that for the 1020 it's a bit unoptimised - I've been testing software for a while so I can deal with small issues but other people used to final builds might not. There are small things missing in new versions of apps (like having no access to my XBM subscription in the new Music app) and also some battery life issues (to be expected). Definitely agreeing with you about the feedback - I've been submitting a lot since I jumped on with 10080. Maybe try it with the next build :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb