Obvious stuff missing from build 10149

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I should probably start this by mentioning that build 10149 is my first experience with WP10. Up until now I'd held off until a platform stable enough to use as a daily device came along.

While I'm happy with a lot of the new functionality there are some pointedly obvious things that are a big step back from W8.1, namely:

The call registry. This is like a staple programme that mobile phones have had for years. I make a lot of calls, often to the same numbers, so having a call registry to quickly pull up a number instead of having to go to the address book is really basic and an important part of the phone.

Xbox streaming music. I've already mentioned this in a previous thread but it would have been nice to know that Xbox music isn't integrated into the new native music app in W10, especially for us monthly subscribers.

Cortana voice activation. Actually, Cortana in general seems to have taken a bit of a step back.

I'm fairly sure these details will all be filled in as the build develops and fully appreciate I've dived into a preview that carries certain risks but was curious to see if anybody else has noticed missing functionality?

moc426

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean by call registry? Do you mean your call logs? Those are there under "History" pivot. Plus dialer now has name lookup with the dialpad, spell out the name with the digits.

I should probably start this by mentioning that build 10149 is my first experience with WP10. Up until now I'd held off until a platform stable enough to use as a daily device came along.

While I'm happy with a lot of the new functionality there are some pointedly obvious things that are a big step back from W8.1, namely:

The call registry. This is like a staple programme that mobile phones have had for years. I make a lot of calls, often to the same numbers, so having a call registry to quickly pull up a number instead of having to go to the address book is really basic and an important part of the phone.

Xbox streaming music. I've already mentioned this in a previous thread but it would have been nice to know that Xbox music isn't integrated into the new native music app in W10, especially for us monthly subscribers.

Cortana voice activation. Actually, Cortana in general seems to have taken a bit of a step back.

I'm fairly sure these details will all be filled in as the build develops and fully appreciate I've dived into a preview that carries certain risks but was curious to see if anybody else has noticed missing functionality?

sweeperdk

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Please, please, please bear in mind that this IS a technical preview. It is not meant to be a daily driver. It is not expected to function fully.

This is in fact an alpha version, and not a beta.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
What do you mean by call registry? Do you mean your call logs? Those are there under "History" pivot. Plus dialer now has name lookup with the dialpad, spell out the name with the digits.

Hi...yes, the call logs.

When I hit the phone tile all I get up is a really, really basic dialler and no other functionality at all. I've taken a screenshot.

It's totally possible that I'm doing something wrong. I'm still trying to figure my way through W10.

Does your dialler look the same?wp_ss_20150629_0001.jpg

Mattman86

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Call registry is there. I've found that the phone tile that is initially on the start screen is just a shortcut to the dialer. You have to unpin it and then go pin the phone app from the 'All apps' menu for it to actually function.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Call registry is there. I've found that the phone tile that is initially on the start screen is just a shortcut to the dialer. You have to unpin it and then go pin the phone app from the 'All apps' menu for it to actually function.

Massively helpful, thank you :)

I was beginning to wonder how I was going to access my voicemails...

Cheers for your help

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
If you have a PIN and a phone with a physical shutter button, when you launch the camera when the phone is locked it still asks for your pin, and then crashes the respective camera app after unlocking it. Only solution is to get rid of the PIN code :/

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Oh, but some people have so much fun by reminding people this is a technical preview ;-) They used to get their kicks saying, "this is fixed in Windows 10", and before that, "this is fixed in WP8.1", but now they have this.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Like the Op took the dive a just over an hour ago and fortunately the install went without a hitch on my trusty L920. I'm aware this is a preview therefore have stayed off from testing it on my sole phone but the craving to test something new got the better of me lol.

Which I was afraid would start throwing a tantrum the moment I proceeded to install the preview as I couldn't login into the insider hub on the phone, so had to login on the website in IE on the phone and navigate to the phone app.

First Impressions after a few minutes of poking around?

Looks pretty good however I'm letting the phone settle over night so it can finish (if there are any background tasks). Also I have still have glance - didn't hard reset.

What's missing?

1) Store
2) Store (beta)
3) Photo hub
4) Settings

I can access this via various work arounds for instance to access the store beta, I have to open the wallet app, hit add, scroll to more apps and choose Store Beta. I'm sure there are other work arounds however as mentioned previously just letting the phone sit for overnight.

One thing I want to point out is none of the above were initially missing - was prompted to reboot as an update was installed and now they are missing + my start screen is jumbled wit missing tiles.

Another issue noticed is that screenshots only take blank screens (only opened via a file explorer).

Will have a look through tomorrow, to check If I have the same issues as the OP or if I do find any work arounds that work for me (if I do have the same issues as the OP)

Last edited:

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
For some reason, the less you mess with it during the first 24 hours, it kind of takes care of a lot of issues in the background. Also, hard reset seems to just make things worse on this build. My experience on the 930

majorfriend

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure as I'm not a Xbox Music subscriber, but when I installed 10149 on my wife's 1020 it did seem to bring down her music from Xbox Music. Perhaps it was a subset of songs, but there is at least some integration.

I'd explore some more, but I had to roll her phone back to 8.1 for other reasons. Perhaps your music will show up after time?

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT, I REPEAT, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT DO A HARD RESET ON THIS BUILD!!!
It makes things a whole lot worse especially for 520s & 920s, even the recovery tools takes 4-5 attempts to get back to 8.1.
And to the OP & others with similar rants, might want to give the article about known issues & workarounds a read before installing a new build maybe.

Last edited:

The Extreme G

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT, I REPEAT, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT DO A HARD RESET ON THIS BUILD!!!
It makes things a whole lot worse especially for 520s & 920s, even the recovery tools takes 4-5 attempts to get back to 8.1.
And to the OP & others with similar rants, might want to give the article about known issues & workarounds a read before installing a new build maybe.

I've done hard resets and rollbacks with every build (including 10149) on my 920 with no problems. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Another thing I'm picking up massive problems with is maps / satnav.

On a positive note, it's really great that Bing Maps and Here Drive are now one condensed app. While it's still a little rough round the edges to look at, it's definitely heading in the right direction.

But for day to day travel use it's a long way from finished. A few issues on my 1520 are:

The map won't move in time with the GPS tracking, meaning that the little icon that represents you on the map moves off screen.

The map randomly rotates from landscape to portrait, which is a total nightmare when your driving in an unknown area. Even worse, when it decides to rotate to landscape, it cuts have the screen off (half the screen goes black).

My primary concern with this level of buggy behaviour is that it's dangerous. Nothing prepares you for a total satnav failure in the middle of a journey. You suddenly find yourself frantically poking at your phone screen instead of paying attention to the road.

A solid, dependable mapping system should be right up there in the critical list of things Microsoft need to iron out in the next build

lucas.scott

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
My Xbox Music Collection comes over just fine. Subscription syncs in real time over PC/Xbox/ and phone. Hell, even OneDrive music shows up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb