Why device make a hard reset in a loop with smiley sad?

Orel Cohen

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
I did a hard reset to the device, and the device began to reset in a loop, and for each reset it presents a sad smiley.
I was looking on the net how to solve it, I saw someone said:

"WORKS 100% First you press the power button after it vibrates press 1.Vol up 2.Vol down 3.Power button 4.Vol down in Order then wait for Few min for your phone to Restart"

I did so, and the device only showed lightning with a mark of cogwheel.
But that did not solve the problem.
Does anyone know how to solve it?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
For some reason, your OS installation is corrupted, meaning the system can't boot. Were you possibly experimenting with the insider preview?

Most likely the only way to fix it will be by using the Windows Phone Recovery Tool.

ncbartschi

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
This is a common problem with build 10149, where some hard resets will randomly fail bricking your device. I personally encountered this, as well as other people on this forum.

The only way to recover from this is to go back to 8.1 using WPRT. Not ideal, but I don't believe anyone has found a way to fix a failed hard reset.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
The only way to recover from this is to go back to 8.1 using WPRT. Not ideal, but I don't believe anyone has found a way to fix a failed hard reset.

Agreed as I had this issue after upgrading to 10149. The install went fine but some things weren't working correctly (couldn't open settings etc) so I decided to hard reset with the keys (due to not being able to access settings). Then I got the blue sad face.

Go back to 8.1 and try again, my phone is fine now :excited:

Lurchy22

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I upgraded my Att to the newest fast ring build. Was working okay but had some quirks so I did the hard reset. Now I cannot get past the spinning gears. Windows recovery tool does not detect my phone when I connect it. Even tried the old Lumia recovery tool. Have hard reset, tried the up/down/power/down trick, no love. I even took my SP2 down to slow ring in case it was not just the phone. Any suggestions?

First screen is ATT, then Nokia, then spinning gears which loads about 1/4 and keeps spinning for about twenty minutes, then restarts and does it all over again.

chasehagen93

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
Same exact problem as the OP and Lurchy22 on my 1020. Did a hard reset after installing 10149. Just spinning up to a quarter of the way then a sad face. And the recovery tool does not detect my phone. Do I just have a $300 paper weight now? Should I take it to a Microsoft store to see if they will help? Never had these problems when I tried iPhone betas!

ncbartschi

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
For those of you having issues with the spinning gears loop after a hard reset, check out these posts from other users and how they solved it:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile/363486-build-10149-1520-gone-crazy.html
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile/363287-hard-reset-loop.html

To quickly sum it up:

This might be related to something I experienced yesterday where a hard reset resulted in continuous looping spinning gear with a frowny face on my HTC One M8. Others have also posted something similar when performing a hard reset, so it seems to be an issue some of us are experiencing.

Just like you, WPRT wouldn't detect my phone. I had to let the phone reset several times while accessing the bootloader page (It's volume up + down at the HTC screen, not sure what it is for Nokia) before I was able to manually detect it using the tool. Might want to try to give it a go over multiple resets before you catch it at the right time. Make sure you click "I can't detect my phone" over multiple stages.

Be patient and keep trying, eventually WPRT should detect your phone (manually), it just may require multiple reboots.

Fausto Cesare

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue, but none of the solutions seems to work. The WPRT doesn't even recognize my phone. I even tried the NSU for Retail, but then, the software package fails to download, claiming that the software package isn't available for my phone.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte