Reasons to move from Android to WP?

Yasser Aboobakar

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Put it that way...for me windows phone is open sort like android where u can have ur memory card,share stuff among other phone but it has same fluidity as ios which cost more...thats my opinion...

pureview_lvr

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Nothing too much special and complex......but for its simplicity and smoothness I switched to windows phone........as android isn't really that bad until you buy good spec. Phone having more ram bcz. android have not better ram management like windows phone. That's what I bought windows phone...

seed dede

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm impressed an iOS willing to jump ship.
On the Contrary, my friend had been sentenced into iOS jail for eternity, everything Apple

4.0" is too small for me, and surely here's in Indonesia i don't need snapchat or periscope (whatever its name), but i didn't tell that i don't love my 5s, i love both of them, and i'm waiting for w10 flagship

pp201

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
No it is not. The notion that windows phone doesn't lag is untrue. My Lumia 535 lags worse than a mote e. And both have 1GB of RAM. Actually in real life a WP is slower than a android phone. This is not 2012 when Android was laggy.

pp201

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Actually an android phone is smoother because at the same price you get a better android phone. Also you get a better app support.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Aside from what some others have already said, I will add the WordFlow keyboard as well. It makes typing very fast, faster than I ever thought possible on a phone really.
Speaking of typing, you also have the option to speak what you want to write in a text message. It might not always pick up perfectly, but it's also a nice option as well.
Live Tiles are great too, as well. Imagine having updates for some of your apps actually already display without even having to open it.

I haven't used Windows 10 test builds on either of my Lumias but those are some things that I really like.

dinsolani

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I never used Windows 7.x, but I switched when it was using Windows 8.0. Quite frankly it was ok experience. But from Windows 8.1, platform itself doing better & better. Live Tiles (was there with 8.0), Cortana make experience better. Lumia Hardware Design is also factor you need to consider. About windows 10, I am using daily & its actually one of the good piece of mobile os.
Now about the downside, there are couple of apps, you will miss e.g. Snapchat. Even google not providing hangout or youtube app. There are couple of great youtube app available now like mytube, tubecast, etc. But hangout, snapchat is your daily need, then stay with android. And you are person, who want to explore something new, experience live tiles, then try windows phone.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I honestly don't think you need any of us to help you decide. Either you want a Windows Phone or you don't.
Windows Phone is a beautiful operating system. It's completely customizable for my personal tastes, and constantly evolves to meet my moods and wants. It flows underneath my fingers with fluidity and smoothness you can't find with any other OS. It has it's own personality, and life.
Windows 10 Mobile brings this new personality and life in a different form, and with it comes features to meet every need. It's not to the point of Windows Phone 8.1 yet, but soon I believe it'll surpass it.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The best part of Windows Phone is the OS, hands down. It offers more customization than iOS but is far more intuitive and consistent than Android. OS performance is impressively smooth and responsive on every device I've tried it, including the lowly 520. Unlike iOS I haven't seen any degradation in performance over the past 2.5 years I've owned my Lumia 920.

This is not to say I'm completely pleased with the experience. First and foremost, I'm frustrated by the lack of a flagship phone. In the States we haven't had one since my 920 was released. Unless you count the Icon on Verizon, which the carrier quickly abandoned, and the HTC One which isn't a first party device. Instead we've had a deluge of low end devices which have done nothing but confuse the product line. They're all generally decent, but there are far too many of them and they confusingly there's significant model overlap.

Another major problem continues to be the lack of apps. I'm not talking apps from the big developers, but the quality stuff from the small guys. Those small guys help a platform thrive. For whatever reason Microsoft continues to fail at attracting them. Instead we get an app store flooded with junk apps. That's another problem, the lack of proper screening. And to this day I continue seeing people screwing with ratings so that awful apps have inflated scores.

I've been happy with the OS; there are just a few things that have prevented it from achieving true greatness. Hopefully Windows 10 makes essential improvements without throwing out what was good about WP 8. And maybe they'll finally market the OS properly.

Eric_J

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I love the productivity of Windows but they are literally giving all of the special things about Windows away to other OS (Office suite, Skype, Outlook mobile, Office Lens, and others like Cortana). Not much to distinguish themselves now. Plus, I use YouTube, banking apps like Bank of America, TD, and Capital One. I also really like Passbook on Apple. Many will tell you to use the web portal or just go to the website rather than use the app but then you burn through data. Not much of a reason to switch to Windows at the end of the day, and I really love the OS. I hope developers get on board.

Maxy12

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
I know people around me switched from Android with my advice and they are very happy about windows phone, in the beginning few of them scared about lack of apps but when they jumped they understand there are alternatives for some apps and others are not very needed so they didn't feel upset.
What they noticed about windows phones:
* Many features built right into OS or bundled with the phone so no need to install app for it ( word flow keyboard,double tap to sleep/wake,skype,health and fitness,here drive and maps,weather,facebook,twitter,microsoft office........)
* The Os feels more modern,smooth,lag free, virus free and phone will not slow down after time or suffer from memory problems.
* No need to buy high specs phone every few months because phone will stay smooth and fast like day one so no need for new hardware to enjoy speed or features of newer OS versions.
* Updates are continuous and free, Which of android phones will get new OS updates after more than 2 years? Lumia 920 which released in November 2012 still get updates and will be updated to windows mobile 10 :)
* Battery life is better, for example HTC One M8 runs Windows phone has longer battery life than same phone which runs Android!
* Good camera and very good apps to process photos.
* excursive Nokia technologies like clear black display, glance screen,pureview cameras........
I can go on and say many other reasons that made these people love Windows Phone more than Android :)
I've friend who owns samsung glaxy note 3 saw me recommends Lumia for another friend and he said to this friend ( don't listen to him go with Android it is better!) immediately I asked him( how many times your flagship phone slows down or stop to work last week? ) he admitted it and said (I can't count it it is normal thing in phones :) ) for his surprise I asked another friend who owns Lumia 535 the same exact question and he said (I don't remember this ever happed to me )

My advice if you feel you want to go with windows phone just do it and enjoy, don't listen to people.
Buy Lumia 640 XL in the beginning, it is not expensive phone and has good battery life and good big screen.
Regards :)

qwertyaa

Banned
Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I will tell you something. I consider switching to iPhone 5/5s because if compact size and good camera. All phones nowadays are 5+ inches. But i don't think even iOS is better enough to beat Windows phone. I don't care for missing apps. Everything I need is here. Some of the apps are even better than Android.

Reasons:
-fast, fluid system
-live tiles
-opted
-better order of apps and everything is on the right place. Better than IOS and Android.
-unique design
-solid camera
-has Bluetooth files transfer - iOS hasn't. I know that this is old fashion and nobody uses it, but I often go abroad and this function is really useful. Also I live in poor country.
-Don't lag.
-phones are more affordable than Android or IOS.

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
If u want flagships, go to IOS or Android. If u want low end crap phones, go w Windows. That is the current state of affairs, perhaps will change if MS ever wakes up
Totally true. But I doubt there will be a change. Reading through this thread even fanboys find it hard to explain why WindowsPhone (the OS) would be the better choice. :wink: Livetiles? Android's widgets are more powerful and customizable. Camera? Thats entirely hardware-related and there are many Android devices with impressive cams. Awesome keyboard? Android allows you to install your own keyboard like swype which perform much better. The lack of Apps for WP has been widely discussed just as the quality of the apps available often lack features compared to their Android counterpart. Also anything related to updates crawls painfully slow to the devices out there. Took so many months to roll out Denim. Same thing going on with Windows 10 mobile: delays delays delays.
There is only one reason you might wanna get a WP: you wanna be different. And (probably) low on budget and have very limited usage scenarios for your devices with focus on simplicity.

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Download Visual Studio 2015, and try out the OS emulator. You'll see if you like it. Nothing anyone says here is relevant, it's all personal opinions. You have to figure this kind of stuff out for yourself

I chose WP because I like being different and unique. Also, I love Microsoft as a company. Way more than Apple and Google. If ever I got an Android, it would definintely be with Cyanogen.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Nobody can definitively say what the public release of W10M will look like but it's fair to say that it will be better in most respects than the latest 8.1 version. Going into a store and playing with a current model will give a good idea of what's available now and should be enough of a litmus test to consider Windows as a mobile alternative. Only the user knows what they need and most opinions here are subjective at best. Good luck and we hope to see you here in the future.

Maxy12

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Totally true. But I doubt there will be a change. Reading through this thread even fanboys find it hard to explain why WindowsPhone (the OS) would be the better choice. :wink: Livetiles? Android's widgets are more powerful and customizable. Camera? Thats entirely hardware-related and there are many Android devices with impressive cams. Awesome keyboard? Android allows you to install your own keyboard like swype which perform much better. The lack of Apps for WP has been widely discussed just as the quality of the apps available often lack features compared to their Android counterpart. Also anything related to updates crawls painfully slow to the devices out there. Took so many months to roll out Denim. Same thing going on with Windows 10 mobile: delays delays delays.
There is only one reason you might wanna get a WP: you wanna be different. And (probably) low on budget and have very limited usage scenarios for your devices with focus on simplicity.
Android widgets will suck battery life and consume memory and they are not consistent in their UI. Live tiles are more beautiful , modern and they don't drain battery life.
Camera is a big plus in windows phone and it is not only because hardware, pureview is a mixture of good hardware+ clever software algorithms and firmware. Many android manufacturers copy Lumia camera interface because it is amazing and professional.
Keyboard is awesome and built right into the OS so no need to download app and slow down your system more.
Google play is full of adware,malware,spyware and viruses so you will get more apps + dangerous insects here and there, thank you I don't want to install antivirus in my phone. Windows Phone is virus free and microsoft is very serious fixing any security hole not like Google and Apple. My brother put in his Android phone adblocker and antivirus LOL :)
Updates may be sometimes slow but to come late better than not to come. if you want updates more fast you can register as windows developer for free. All people know Android sucks in updates and Apple force you always to buy new expensive phone to make your phone work smooth in their last updates.
There are many reasons to buy Windows Phone devices.

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I would also add that probably 99% of WP users have also used iOS and Android. I would say that makes them better informed users 😉 rather than people who "don't get it".

scd147

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
I think the top thing that Windows Phone has going for it at the moment is the live tiles and ability to pin things to the start screen. It's designed to change often with your lifestyle, and the enhancements they've made, such as folders, really make it the best launcher available. Not to mention, my bank didn't bother making a Windows Phone app, (I know, shocking, right?!) but they did make a decent web-app. Thanks to pinning being built into IE, I pinned the website to my start screen, and you wouldn't know its not an app. Unfortunately, there aren't too many examples like that. Sensor Core turned out to be a dream come true if you don't have a fitness band but want to monitor your steps, etc. If you turn on the Motion Data, the phone will just start counting without further prompting. The fact that this is available on the 635 makes it one of the cheapest fitness bands you can buy... with a phone attached. Finding the bright spot with the lack of flagships, you can also get your hands on one of these for really cheap, and several of the Lumia's still have above average cameras.

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
There are some harsh and unfounded words against the OS. It is beautiful and an absolute joy to use. IF you are supported 100% by the apps and you are happy that the apps that are supported don't, in many cases, function as well as their iOS and Android counterparts, then seriously consider a Windows Phone. I'd wait until the next set of phones that comes out and that also will give the OS some time to settle down. That will also give you time to see if Microsoft has built some better phones. The 930 is absolute crap (and I really am one of the most accepting of glitches person there is). You *may* get a good one, but chances are you won't.

If, however, you won't be supported by apps, then all I can say is that you will be supremely frustrated. I've given up. My 930 finally crapped out (after only 6 months) and I'm guessing the excessive heat had something to do with its demise. Using my old Moto G now and really miss the Windows Phone 8 OS but I need way too many apps and I want the full functionality of the Android apps. My dream is to have Microsoft build a Windows 10 Android Launcher.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb