Reasons to move from Android to WP?

seed dede

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
There is no reason to switch windows phone.
I also buy lumia 640 xl few days ago and now I felt that it was my wrong decision.

I know that windows phone lake the apps but I don't know that the apps are already in windows phone that also are no usable. they all are crap.

yes games are good and working smooth without any problem even you don't find any bugs.

but in apps there is lots of features missing lots of bugs and not even single app devloper update there app in after 3-4 month.

facebook is made by microsoft and it has lots of bug lots of features missing and microsoft not working on that and even facebook (the Company) not try to make there app for windows phone.

you don't find any video player work without problem in windows phone I still don't believe that 5 years of windows phone os and still there is not even single good video player available in windows phone.

so I personally advice stay away from windows phone.

buy any android phone but not windows phone. lag is better then dumb phone.

haha (just laugh), i don't know if i'll buy android phones someday, i feel so unsure, seriously

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
wow.
much of this thread is in serious denial.
at this stage, there is literally no reason to buy wp. we dont know how 10 will turn out. 8.1 is out of date and cant compete with android or ios. you really WILL feel the app problem, EVERYONE does, whether they admit it or not.
cameras are ok. but android has phones with decent cameras. build quality is hit or miss. android has WAY better multitasking and background tasks. cortana basically sucks and outside of the usa doesnt really even work.

if you're using android dont waste your money, buy another android.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I will soon be getting a new phone and I am considering Windows Phone, I had WP 7.5 before and I didn't like it, but I want to give Windows 10 for Phones as Microsoft has seemed to improve. Anyway, I would like to know some reasons as to why I shouldn't stay on Android.

Thinking about going back to Android since months ago. Win 10 is sure giving me reason to believe, yet no way at this stage.

I'm also missing a lot of OS freedom from Android. I would see no real reason to switch to WP just now if I had an Android.

I do like Microsoft apps and those are more advanced on Android so yeah... I'm happy with my WP, but it's hard to consider a new one.

As a huge Microsoft follower I am still being objective about this.

As for apps, there are many more picture editing apps out there that I found no alternatives on Android, but when it comes to customization ( I get bored of the same look very fast ) and some features and apps like Facebook it gets really frustrating sometimes.

George Camelot

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Am surprised no one has mentioned this to you but i think if you're looking for reason(s) to join WP platform,you should watch the youtube video bing but together for their anniversary. I dont have the link but you won't sweat to find the video.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Had a Nokia 930 - loved it on WP8.1, the live tiles are something completely unique and exceptionally useful and make the UI more personalised than any other smartphone, think of the homescreen as a page full of your own post it notes, simply brilliant, the people hub area is also a nice simply easy way to pull all your facebook, twitter etc...updates together, but not unique as Blinkfeed on the HTC devices does this equally as well.

Apps....now the apps although most of the general ones are there, I would say apart from a couple that are as good if not better, most of the quality is far behind that of the iOS and Android versions of the same thing, if you like social gaming forget it, zynga have only a few poorly produced games, yes Asphalt 8 is great, but still only runs a medium graphics detail on the flagship L930.

My advice to Microsoft = Stop faffing about and get your app store sorted, WP8.1 is spot on as a UI, but is let down by its app support and this is the reason I have returned to Android.

EDIT: But why do I constantly miss my Nokia 930 ? if WP could directly install .apk apps from Android now that would be the perfect smartphone and i would never look back, please tell me this maybe possible one day

If I could install .apks on my WP I would most likely not care about any other OS too lol.

asyl15

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Well it's no longer the case that Microsoft-made apps are exclusive to Windows Phone, and I think that could be a good thing. If you're liking how things are working when you are using Microsoft apps for Android, then maybe a Windows Phone is for you. On top of those apps, you get an experience that will take Windows' demise for me to switch away. I'd say I really like the live tiles. And if we're talking about Lumia hardware specifically, I want to point out that I really like ClearBlack technology and the build quality even for budget phones.

I do use Viber and it's very reliable. I used it on my Windows Phone when I was travelling abroad last year.

And if you wanted reasons to leave Android, I think that my sole reason would be: "because Google". I don't absolutely despise Google, in fact I use their services from time to time, but owning an Android phone leaves me vulnerable to its data collection even when I'm asleep. You might argue that every company collects data anyway, but there's a difference when you think about how Google's mission statement is "to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful." (Search: Google Mission Statement)

Maxy12

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Ya you are right, I hate Google.
and here what Eric Schmidt said in 2010:
With your permission, you give us more information about you, about your friends, and we can improve the quality of our searches. We don't need you to type at all. We know where you are. We know where you've been. We can more or less know what you're thinking about.

Also he said:
I don't believe society understands what happens when everything is available, knowable and recorded by everyone all the time,

every young person one day will be entitled automatically to change his or her name on reaching adulthood in order to disown youthful hijinks stored on their friends' social media sites

Colbert:
I was all for it, because I think it would be very enticing as an employer to go, “You have no history and you changed your name yesterday. Welcome aboard.”

Schmidt:
The serious goal is just remember when you post something that the computers remember forever.

Colbert:
Whose computers? Your computers?

Schmidt:
Well, it’s actually on the web. Google just collects it. It’s all out there on the web somewhere.

Colbert:
You just collect it.

Schmidt:
We collect it…

Colbert:
Where are your computers?

Schmidt:
They’re all over the world. And if it’s really juicy, there will be copies everywhere.

Google policy is to get right up to the creepy line and not cross it

In a world of asynchronous threats, it is too dangerous for there not to be some way to identify you

pmbAustin

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
The reasons I love Windows Phone:

1) Best cameras for the price of any phone out there

2) Best on-screen keyboard and predictive/suggested text & auto-correct (learns from what you type), great "swipe" like functionality built in... my level of auto-correct fails dropped by 90% when I switched from iPhone to Windows Phone

3) Dedicated Camera button (select models only). I use this thing constantly.

4) Cortana.

5) "Glance" feature (select models only)... pull your phone out of your pocket, and the date, time, and select info is visible without having to do anything further.

6) Live Tiles... info at a glance without having to launch apps to see basic glancable info.

7) Kids Corner... great "safe" mode to distract kids with games or whatever, where they can't get into your stuff and mess up your phone

8) Standard micro-USB charging, no proprietary cables necessary

pmbAustin

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
No, Windows Phone is not an "iOS wannabe"... that would be Android.

Windows Phone is very different from iOS, and much more original. Great usability and features.

udupa1982

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I cannot really explain it but OS is much better than android when it comes to speed/usability. WP is as fast/responsive as iOS and more information is displayed when compared to iOS.
Personally, i have a 1520 and i love it. I have all the apps i need (yes, platform is missing some banking apps). I'm not a person who kills time on social network but WP has almost all the social apps or 3rd party apps which are better than 1st party apps. Snap chat is not coming to WP as the creator of that app hates windows.
I have used android(Kitkat) for 2 years and iOS(7/8) for 2 years (Contract on freakin ATT) and I can freely say WP makes you love your phone. Android is too customizable and if its your thing then goto Android but good luck with getting OS update. Only way you can get that is with rooting. While, rooting is easy but not everyone knows or does it. OEMs/carriers want you to buy new handsets and as a result you will not receive update on-time. I used also used Nexus 7(2013) running lolipop and with the memory issue the tablet was unusable.
Finally all 3 OS's have their charm and defenders and you will hear lot of opinions from users but make your choice and once you made it be happy as $500+ money on a flagship is not a small amount :D
PS: Windows 10 is 100 times better than WP 8.1. I hate pivot on my 1520 as ita a bad concept for phones with bigger screens. Also, WP8.1 does not render/scale up properly on 1520. But with Win 10, it scales up perfectly.

Digvijay Gusain

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Having used all three plateforms, I feel it makes sense to use a device that can connect with your mobile laptop. You have two simple choices in that case, APPLE and MICROSOFT. Android isn't dead, it won't be, but it's a device for people who just want smartphone. If you want a connected system, sort of IoT, everything connects with everything, controls everything, go for either Apple or Windows.

At the moment, I'd say that Apple is more polished. It is better with it's features and provides everything you need. It is also connected to cars, smart home devices, has better range of coerage among apps and everything. Only con, ITS EXPENSIVE.

Microsoft, I feel is aiming to provide the power of Android with the simplicity of iPhone. The future does look good with Continuum and all, but it is still a long way to go. App gap isn't much big, I'd say. It's more of a personal opinion. Let's not comment on the app gap.

Android is good for you if you just want a go-to smartphone that can do everything. The only gripe with Android is, it doesn't provide you with native phone-PC portability, which is excellent in Apple and going-to-be-excellent Microsoft.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
If your on a GSM carrier (AT&T, TMOUS, etc), get a cheap $40 WP device, upgrade it to Windows 10 preview, and give it a shot. Your asking this question on a Windows Phone site, Everyone is going to tell you it's the best OS in the world. They all have their perks, Android is a mess and suffers from performance issues even on the highest level phones, iOS is iOS, very boarding now and so 5 years ago. WP is a smooth, clean OS, that is almost completely customizable to what you want and that is one of it's largest perks.

Your best bet is to find a cheap, or used phone, drop your SIM in and try it for a while, live with features that it offers and how it's all handled day to day, even 8.1 is a major upgrade from WP 7.

The biggest problem with WP, is the apps, If it has everything you need, then your happy, if it does not, you can wait for Windows 10 across the board with Universal apps, maybe your favorite apps will come. This is something you need to look at first, If it does not have the apps you NEED, you will automatically hate the OS and it's not fair on that aspect.

It really is hard to get a solid idea if you like an OS unless you actually try it yourself.

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
128 GB SD cards. Nokia MixRadio (out of the box). HERE Maps (offline Maps, true offline navigation). Live Tiles. OneNote. Office. HD video recording for less than $100.

Those are my primary reasons, and what I believe differentiates WP from Android and iOS. iOS still does not have offline support out of the box, for anything, unless something has changed I don't know about. And it still does not take SD cards. I love the fact that I can have a phone with 8 GB of storage (well, 2 after the OS takes up 6) and add an additional 128 GB to it with a card.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Here's what I want you to do. Buy the cheapest windows pre-paid phone you can buy. I would suggest something like Blu Win HD or something else with a nice 5 inch screen like lumia 535. These phones are dirt cheap even unlocked. Locked down probably cheaper. Once you get it, get the "developers preview" app. Not the Windows insider app. Install the latest phone updates. Use it for a while and see if you like it. That's the only way you will know.

My brother abandoned Android after he used Windows for a bit. A lot of people do love the UI when I let them play around with my lumia 830. This will give you time to find apps that you need to function. There is an app issue but there are lots of third party apps that replace some of the popular ones that are missing. With that said, since I have been using this phone the app gap has been slowly closing. Windows 10 will probably make that even less of a problem. People generally do prefer the Windows UI. That is what makes windows, no doubt about it. The level of customization and creativity lets people really enjoy their phone.

Stick with the cheap phone until some of the better phones start coming out near winter time. You may even find that it's enough for you.

I have all 3 platforms. Yes, iphone is great for apps no doubt. Android is kind of a mess if you ask me, but it does what you need it to do. I think Lollipop is a decent iteration of android but it's still not a final solution. Android M is supposed to help even more with speed issues and all the problems it comes with.

If you find you don't like it, just keep it in great condition and sell it. You may lose a bit of money but think of it as "renting" to test. People can tell you this or that but really you need to test it yourself. I think Windows is more tailored to the individual hence all the customization.

Security wise, so far Windows is the better one out of all of them but that could change in the future once it's more popular. Keep in mind that Microsoft has included malware/virus detection in their windows platform for a while. They have learned a lot about how malware/viruses work and have built a platform to try to protect against that. Windows 10 is supposed to be quite secure. Also keep in mind that Windows 10 is built around the users. People helped shape the OS. And they will continue to shape it because Microsoft is listening. IOS releases an update, you are stuck with what is changed and don't have any say. Windows 10 is going to focus more on options. You don't like this, turn it off, someone else may like it they keep it on.

I have a Lumia 830 and I LOVE IT!
The screen is great, I love customizing my start screen to suit my needs and show off my artistic side.
The camera is insane. I have had point and shoot cameras that are not as good as this. People will comment on how good the camera is when I show them pictures. And the design of the lens isn't bulky in the least bit.

This is how my UI looks. It's individually tailored, no one will have that same UI. Well unless they copy it hehe.
vbCB8Ph.jpg

PsychoSuperman

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
What phone do you currently have? When are you planning to switch?

I had a similar conversation with my brother, and I will give you the same advice I gave him. If you can afford a spare phone, get one and play with the OS. In his case he got a new Icon (Verizon's Lumia 930 varient for about 250 on ebay), but I think a 640 with 1GB of ram is a good midrange device. See how Windows 10 evolves and decide if it could become your daily driver. If not, you are at least left with a very capable phone as a backup in case your main flagship breaks.

Like others have said, the draw to Windows tends to be an emotional one. I could have switched to Android or iOS but I don't enjoy using those platforms. They are soulless to me and come across as app launchers. If you feel the same after testing it out then you will be happy. If not at least you know that you are more of an Android fan.

As far as functionality, the improvements in W10 are great. Attaching multiple file types to emails and text messages, .gif support, Bluetooth improvements, etc. Since the OS will be on par (or better) than the big two, It will come down to apps and OS navigation, so good luck deciding on what feels right to you.

UKSteve

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
If you want to be a sort of odd one out then chose WP, if you want a lot of people say to you Microsoft sucks I wouldn't chose their stuff then chose WP, if you want people to tell you that there are no apps, chose WP, if you want the sniggers and muted giggles when you say you have a new phone and show them a Lumia, chose WP, if you want the numerous online pundit to tell you about miniscule WP penetration then chose WP but if like me you don't give a **** what anyone thinks and are willing to try anything after using an Android phone (no complaints with the ZTE), then definitely chose WP.

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I've used all three OS, and I find Windows Phone to be a nice balance between iOS and Android. It's as smooth and as fluid as iOS, but it doesn't have the obnoxious file-sharing restrictions. WP has sandboxed apps like iOS, but it also has a shared place where you can store your files like in Android (love this about WP the most). WP is nearly as capable and flexible as Android, but with WP, you get good performance even with low-specs, unlike Android, where you need a high-spec flagship to get good performance. Also, WP doesn't have the messiness of Android (referring to the internal storage. Constant random junk folders. Everywhere.). It's true that WP apps aren't as great as the iOS and Android counterparts, and sometimes I do wish WP had a certain app, but having used WP for eight months, I honestly can say that it's really not that big of an issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs