Reasons to move from Android to WP?

Clive Rennie

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Personal taste I guess, for me I have nexus 6 for pure android just so I can test out Microsoft new software they put out but my green L1520 and blue L640 is my number one devices 640 if I'm going out to eat with friends because its slimmer than the L1520. L1520 is for work going to the park trips so my son can watch his movies or games. Windows phone just works gives me all the apps I need don't need a ton of apps I have apps I don't need live tiles lets u see with out opening the app I look at Windows Central app I see the article count plus a glimpse of the article to know if I should read or not I could go on but that's my take on it waiting for a flagship device.

martinjdub

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
From a consumer prospective, I feel it has the weakest market support and app eco system of iOS, Android and BlackBerry (which runs BlackBerry and Android app). From a enterprise perspective, it's rivals BlackBerry in terms of integration within a Microsoft environment .its still the weaker link in my opinion but being different isn't bad

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Quick breakdown of Android, iOS, WP but all are capable, it's just a matter of taste, or what hardware choices your carrier has.

Android: Lots of hardware quality options and price ranges. Most customizable but interface is a kluge and the OS relies on a lot of 3rd party apps. Good example is the supplied answering machine app, 3rd party and has ads in it. WTH? All the optimization can be cumbersome too just to get the phone in an enjoyable working state. Big app store but a lot of crap too.

iPhone: Good hardware but costly. Simple phone OS, basically an icon-based application launcher so good fit for simple phone users. Big app store but also a lot of junk. Most hardware is proprietary and Apple gouges you. Not much innovation in design, looks like a 2007 iPod Touch.

WP: Not a lot of hardware choices on many carriers. Lumia's are good quality but was lacking in larger screen sizes prior to 640 XL (1520 is too bulky, at least when I tried it). OS is customizable and the cleanest IMO. Missing some big name apps but decent sized store.

Personally I have a Note 3 because I am on Sprint and they have no decent WP options. I installed Launcher 8 Pro on my Note otherwise I would have returned it.

makoute

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Is the wp start more customization than android's? I can see that being the case over ios, but I don't think this is a claim that can be made over android.

abilio batista

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm a WindowsInsider, and I can tell you that windows 10 is great!! A lot of new feature and in the next weeks they will be many more, once after Windows10 for PC's comes out, i think Microsoft will give more attention to WindowsMobile.
If your biggest problem with windows phone is the lack of apps on the store, just wait untill W10 come out and you'll see a lot of new apps and the WindowsPhone community will grow a lot.

mcmc08

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I've been using a Windows phone for the past 2 1/2 years for 3 reasons:

1) I don't like Apple. I despise using any product that forces you to make chooses simply because you're locked into it. It's been a good business model for Apple, but I like to choose what I think will work best for me, not have Apple decide. Mostly, I dislike the attitude of many Apple users. There's a certain "I'm better than you" air they give off because they think using Apple products makes them superior. They would never even consider any other product, regardless of how much better it might be, simply because there is no Apple logo on it.

2) I don't care for Google. I have a problem with any company that doesn't give me the choice as to what happens to my data. Most people carry on blissfully day to day not realizing that Google monetizes their data. Sure, Google has lots of free products that are mostly well thought out and work as expected. But nothing is free. Every product Google gives away is designed to track you and your data in some way for the purpose of advertising. Remember, Google is a business, not a charity.

3) Lastly, I like Windows Phone. It's fresh and different. There are a number of things it does that its competitors aren't doing, as well as things others are doing that it can't. But overall it's a solid operating system. And I like Microsoft. I like the idea that they allow me to give them access to as much or as little information as I choose. And I believe this is not the same Microsoft many of us grew up with. This is the new, more humble, let's-listen-to the-customer Microsoft. Are there some apps missing? That's been well documented. But I've never felt my life was destroyed because I don't have a Snapchat app. In fact, because of their CEO's attitude towards Windows Phone I'll never use Snapchat. At the same time, I have more quality apps on my phone than I have time to use them. Many of the great apps I have go unused. 90% of what I do on my phone is text, email, browse the internet, check the weather and stock market (just as stormy as the weather lately--thank you Greece), take pictures, and make calls. Windows Phone does these things very well.

So why do I think you should choose Windows Phone? It's about not getting locked into Apple's closed ecosystem or getting raped by Google. And it's also about enjoying a fresh, clean OS from a company that wants to be known for keeping your data private. That's a win-win for me.

Abdul-Hameed Riad

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
After the new UI changes Windows phone got nothing to make it better than Android, in other hand, Android have many features that WP doesn't have.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk

hj2132

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Features of android
-has many apps and most has ads in them which makes the phone lag
-lags so much
-easily can be flashed and reseted
-not much security
-needs an app to clear RAM (don't that app uses RAM:p)
-needs antivirus (virus can enter anytime

IPhone
- standard phone with decent looks and has a good security
- have apps
- if u need to change a ringtone(or some settings ) u have to connect it to lappy ( for that case I must alwes carry an lappy with me

At last our beloved windows phone
-superb OS with tile based system a different look
- rarely lags
- have less apps (hope windows10 take it to new level )
- don't need any cleaner or antivirus
- everything is simple
-windows phone 8 had some superb features which were removed in 8.1 seriously hated that move microsoft took
- the fb integration in messages and the ME tile which people used alot to put status
- the photos hub was damn better than 8.1 photos app
I wish windows hear our requests and put those features on future updates....
That's it

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Features of android
-has many apps and most has ads in them which makes the phone lag
-lags so much
-easily can be flashed and reseted
-not much security
-needs an app to clear RAM (don't that app uses RAM)
-needs antivirus (virus can enter anytime
Android apps have paid versions just like Windows Phone apps if one wants to get rid of ads.

Task killer apps are unnecessary and make performance worse rather than better. There is no need to use task killers in Android.

I've never used any antivirus app on Android and won't.
Antivirus for Android ? do you need it? http://www.androidcentral.com/antivirus-android-do-you-need-it
IPhone
- standard phone with decent looks and has a good security
- have apps
- if u need to change a ringtone(or some settings ) u have to connect it to lappy ( for that case I must alwes carry an lappy with me
iTunes is not needed to change ringtones on iPhone. The Zedge app is available for iOS as well as for Windows Phone and Android.

At last our beloved windows phone
-superb OS with tile based system a different look
- rarely lags
- have less apps (hope windows10 take it to new level )
- don't need any cleaner or antivirus
- everything is simple
-windows phone 8 had some superb features which were removed in 8.1 seriously hated that move microsoft took
- the fb integration in messages and the ME tile which people used alot to put status
- the photos hub was damn better than 8.1 photos app
I wish windows hear our requests and put those features on future updates....
That's it
I just wanted to clear up some incorrect information here.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Android apps have paid versions just like Windows Phone apps if one wants to get rid of ads.

Task killer apps are unnecessary and make performance worse rather than better. There is no need to use task killers in Android.

Antivirus for Android ? do you need it? http://www.androidcentral.com/antivirus-android-do-you-need-it
iTunes is not needed to change ringtones on iPhone. The Zedge app is available for iOS as well as for Windows Phone and Android.

It's true.

Abdul-Hameed Riad

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
Features like what ?
At lest it tell you when you are on waiting while calling.

And here are some other:
1.5 millions of apps
You can gain root access if you want

BTW I'm Windows phone fan since it came despite the lake of the apps, but the new UI in Windows 10 is a step backward.

And even the lag that everyone hates Android for it, is gone with the new generations of processors.

So after those changes Microsoft need to give me a good reason to stick with windows.

sweeperdk

May 20, 2014
Visit site
At lest it tell you when you are on waiting while calling.

And here are some other:
1.5 millions of apps
You can gain root access if you want

BTW I'm Windows phone fan since it came despite the lake of the apps, but the new UI in Windows 10 is a step backward.

And even the lag that everyone hates Android for it, is gone with the new generations of processors.

So after those changes Microsoft need to give me a good reason to stick with windows.

Odd... Makes me wonder why you're on Windows Central, and more specifically why you're commenting on a thread with the title "GOOD reasons to switch"...

Regarding the 1.5 million apps... 90 % of them are crap. Same goes for iOS appstore... Yes, there are loads of apps, but quality apps is nowhere near all of them.

Regarding the lag... I just simply disagree. And yes, I use both android, iPhone and windows phone on a daily basis.

I'm not argueing that Windows Phone is the holy grail. Not at all. None of them are. I'm argueing that there are reasons to choose each platform/OS.

So let's get back on topic, and come up with good reasons to switch to Windows Phone :)

Abdul-Hameed Riad

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
Odd... Makes me wonder why you're on Windows Central, and more specifically why you're commenting on a thread with the title "GOOD reasons to switch"...

Regarding the 1.5 million apps... 90 % of them are crap. Same goes for iOS appstore... Yes, there are loads of apps, but quality apps is nowhere near all of them.

Regarding the lag... I just simply disagree. And yes, I use both android, iPhone and windows phone on a daily basis.

I'm not argueing that Windows Phone is the holy grail. Not at all. None of them are. I'm argueing that there are reasons to choose each platform/OS.

So let's get back on topic, and come up with good reasons to switch to Windows Phone :)

I'm on Windows central because I'm a Windows phone user, an I like Windows phone, but I don't like it's future 😊, and I think with the new UI Windows phone lost it's advantage.

Anyway sorry for going off topic.

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
We have better cameras, photo software and compression settings, software design language, faster phones that don't slow down over time(unlike android), 3rd party apps that are better than the originals.

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site

Actually you are incorrect, android is the most susceptive to viruses of any mobile OS, windows phone doesn't need antivirus software period. It's very commonly known that android is buggy, gets slow over time, and is easier st getting viruses. With my android I ALWAYS used an antivirus software, there is no point in risking yourself that is your own problem if you don't use it. On top of that, for android task killer apps are SOOO necessary. If you aren't using on your phone is much slower running than it should be, I can assure you of that. Being an android fan from the beginning im not just bsing to you lol.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Actually you are incorrect, android is the most susceptive to viruses of any mobile OS, windows phone doesn't need antivirus software period. It's very commonly known that android is buggy, gets slow over time, and is easier st getting viruses. With my android I ALWAYS used an antivirus software, there is no point in risking yourself that is your own problem if you don't use it. On top of that, for android task killer apps are SOOO necessary. If you aren't using on your phone is much slower running than it should be, I can assure you of that. Being an android fan from the beginning im not just bsing to you lol.
Android technically has no viruses. Whats the difference between Android malware, spyware, adware and a virus? http://www.androidcentral.com/whats-difference-between-malware-spyware-and-virus

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

charlie2128

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I left iphone which i had all up to iphone 5s. I was board of iphone and apple ecosystem. My iphone used to freeze and crash. Camera was **** poor. My L930 is orange and that is a big plus, all flagship phones are boring metal, i wanted colour back in my life. The os is far better than ios and i did look at android but it wasn't to my liking and my friends didn't speak highly if it but my who had WP did. The camera is better than any other phone out there. Cant wait for W10 and hopefully more apps. Im sticking around for another two years at least.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss