Why are there device specific issues?

extrikate

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I understand that the different iterations of Windows Phones all have slight hardware differences. That said, why do the TP Builds have so many device specific issues? Especially with Lumia devices, it would seem that Microsoft should have all of the necessary hardware specifics ironed out.

The fact that my device, the Icon, has repeatedly had issues with MMS just seems odd. Is the hardware that unique? I can't imagine that it is a carrier issue since the setup should be the same for all Verizon devices.

My hope was that by putting every device on a standard kernel that W10 would deploy far easier and not require device specific tweaks. Am I missing something or just over simplifying what's involved? It just seems that MMS would be a very basic function that shouldn't be device specific.

Also, hoping for a fix to the wifi debacle😊

HXD

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
LOL, I guess a Hard Reset will fix it! :D
If you already did that, then I don't think it's specific to the Icon, as I don't think MMS is affected by Hardware...

extrikate

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Precisely. Which would seem to mean it is a software issue. MMS works fine on 8.1 but not on the last few TP's. Hard resets, fresh installs, etc have not made a difference. Just curious as to what causes this issue for some, but not all?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
You wil never get the answer unless you are working for (the W10 department of) Microsoft. And I am sure that also they not all know.

But TP builds are TP builds (so not perfect) and the advice is not to use them on your daily device. So a not (yet) working MMS is no big issue on a secondary device.

extrikate

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I test it on my "daily driver" due to the fact that it is the phone I want to install the final build on. I really don't care if it works on my 822 or 928. Without trying it out, I can't give feedback that may benefit my preferred device. I tolerate the issues for a week or so and then return to 8.1.

I am not expecting a perfect build. I was just curious if anyone could provide insight into why the build performance I different from device to device. Obviously different hardware, but things like MMS shouldn't be hardware dependent.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa