View Poll Results: Is using Hamburger Menu counter one handed use for you?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree

23 60.53%
  • Disagree

15 39.47%
05-04-2016 09:37 AM
120 1234 ...
tools
    I think I have a great idea.
    I'll make a tumb extender so ppl who had short tumb, using 1520, and can't get used to hamburger menu can use it single handed.
    Apple had a great idea as well...

07-06-2015 11:58 AM
    Definitely not here to bash on hamburger, that will get nowhere...
    07-06-2015 12:01 PM
    I'm getting quite tired of this complaint. It's constant, and it's pointless. Hamburger menus are here to stay. Microsoft has explained why they're here and why they're not going to change.
    Very few people actually use their phones one-handed anyways. In a world where phones are becoming larger and larger, one-handed usage is becoming less and less common.
    I'm perfectly fine with the hamburger menus. No, they're not perfect. They may not even be the best solution available. But they're here. They're not horrible, and it isn't going to affect Windows 10 Mobile adversely, since Android and iOS use them too. The only people who care about the hamburger menus seem to be Windows users with tiny hands. I'm sorry, but you're the minority.
    07-06-2015 12:19 PM
    Whata Debbie downer
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    07-06-2015 12:38 PM
    I've no problem with the hamburger. Not really sure what all the fuss was about. It's the choice of what to put in it that is important. If you get that right then for normal use the user doesn't have to go into it. On those special occasions that you need to change a setting, I don't mind bringing another hand to the party. Incidentally I quite like the hold the windows key down feature for occasions where my other hand is too busy to help.

I've not voted though as I'm not sure the question is worded clearly. Perhaps don't organise any referendums ;-)
    Don Geronimo likes this.
    07-06-2015 01:32 PM
    Incidentally I quite like the hold the windows key down feature for occasions where my other hand is too busy to help.
    May I ask, what is the hold the windows key down feature? It doesn't do anything on my Lumia 822.
    07-06-2015 02:11 PM
    May I ask, what is the hold the windows key down feature? It doesn't do anything on my Lumia 822.
    New feature on the public builds of Windows 10 Insider Preview. I believe screen has to be 5 inches or larger, but I cannot say for certain.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    07-06-2015 02:22 PM
    New feature on the public builds of Windows 10 Insider Preview. I believe screen has to be 5 inches or larger, but I cannot say for certain.
    You're right. Works nicely on my 930 though
    Yazen likes this.
    07-06-2015 02:27 PM
    Anyone here ever use their phone two handed? I have owned and tried many phones, however this trend of "larger = better" is only gaining more traction. A UI that is unfavorable for this trend should not be implemented, even if it goes against what we are accustomed to.

iOS was just fine with hamburgers, only because their phones were smaller! Now they are adding "reachability" modes to preserve their archaic UI!! Why would Microsoft add hamburger menus and a reachibility mode? It just does not add up...

Using my phone two handed peeves me a little, but really bothers me is that hamburger menus are not useful at all on the current build of Win10Mo.
    07-06-2015 02:29 PM
    I've not voted though as I'm not sure the question is worded clearly. Perhaps don't organise any referendums ;-)
    Appreciate the word of advice. Sure I'm totally open for any suggestions for the community poll.
    07-06-2015 02:32 PM
    I remember the screen size debate a year or so ago...

1520 owners said things like "I can still reach the other side" and "I always use two hands anyway, doesn't everybody"?... Some of those same people can't reach the hamburger button though.
    07-06-2015 02:38 PM
    I use my phone one handed and at the moment it' a 5 inch screen. Some apps already have hamburgers and they really suck :(
    But oh well, nothing we can do now. They're definitely not going to change it. It is what it is.
    07-06-2015 03:22 PM
    @Jag Mann
    Definitely not looking for Microsoft to back out from hamburger, but should be better implemented.
    Thx for the feedback.
    07-06-2015 04:11 PM
    I remember the screen size debate a year or so ago...

1520 owners said things like "I can still reach the other side" and "I always use two hands anyway, doesn't everybody"?... Some of those same people can't reach the hamburger button though.
    I can reach from corner using one hand but it is uncomfortable. I honestly think hamburgers should be on phones with under 4" screen size. The whole point of their existence was to remove clutter, as older smartphones had smaller screens.
    __

This is 2015, where even budget phones such as the Lumia 640 have large screens. Microsoft should take notes from Sailfish, WebOS, and BB10. If they want drawers they should be using gestures not hamburgers.

For example, why not hold Windows Button and drag finger to edge to invoke a drawer? A simple, easy to use gesture is much better than tapping an icon, especially with larger screens. Ellipses with panoramas would be nice too
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    07-06-2015 04:21 PM
    Anyone here ever use their phone two handed? I have owned and tried many phones, however this trend of "larger = better" is only gaining more traction. A UI that is unfavorable for this trend should not be implemented, even if it goes against what we are accustomed to.

iOS was just fine with hamburgers, only because their phones were smaller! Now they are adding "reachability" modes to preserve their archaic UI!! Why would Microsoft add hamburger menus and a reachibility mode? It just does not add up...

Using my phone two handed peeves me a little, but really bothers me is that hamburger menus are not useful at all on the current build of Win10Mo.
    I like how you think and talk!
    "Reachability" is right an key to make it fluid.
    Yazen likes this.
    07-07-2015 12:36 AM
    Anyway I added over on the windows feedback a suggestion, search for hamburger plus ellipsis, an anyone can see it.
    It's so simple, by tapping on a "..." it will toggle the hamburger menu hence the "reachability" case.
    There has been many request for a swipe gesture, though one should consider there is still pivot/panorama in use thus that's just too much swiping gestures happening.
    Yeah then okay what about the app bar one would say... A swipe up, simple.
    In my opinion this tackles one handed case use an left handed users(allot of request for a return of a swipe up gesture for the app bar).
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    07-07-2015 12:44 AM
    Where the hamburger menu belongs:

hamburger-menu-trash-small.jpg

One handed, two handed, it doesn't matter. Bad design is bad design and MS adopting bad design for W10 is one of the great disappointments. Probably the biggest deal breaker for me since I came to WP for all the bottom orientated app bars, pivots and other user friendly UI elements. If WP was a dumbed down wannabe Android copycat I would've never switched.

b7-ek6rccaavr_5.jpg
    07-07-2015 05:02 AM
    Okay, its a new feature in Windows 10 on large screens.

May I ask, what does the new feature do? When you hold the Windows button down, what happens?
    colinkiama likes this.
    07-07-2015 07:51 AM
    Re: Kram Sacul,
    Microsoft should hire you. You definitely have a greater understanding of the topic.
    Kram Sacul and hidayat225 like this.
    07-07-2015 07:58 AM
    I use my phone (L925) with one hand a lot (depending on the situation). I'm not ok with hamburger menu. Why did they put it on the left ? They should have put it on the right with the ability to swipe and it would have been great for one or two hands usage. They said they put it on the left because people are more used to find it there. I don't think its a good excuse.
    That only works for lefties, try holding the phone in your right hand and using your right thumb to reach the same place without adjusting your hand.

Hamburgers aren't going anywhere, I find it overly hilarious that no one really complains about the useage and placement of hamburger menus in mobile websites. Not to mention has the usage of hamburger menus hampered the adoption of android - no.

If Windows phone had a global market share 20x greater than what it is today then there wouldn't be a need for such a drastic UI change but the reality is - it does not. They have been following the same UI principles since Wp7, granted there have been alot of bone headed decisions along the way that has severly hampered growth. So something needs to give, you either start doing something differently or just call it quits.

Personally do I like the hamburger menu?

Nope, I don't but everyone is going to have to get used to it whether you like it or not.

Why?

The world is going mobile, besides if it's not the hamburger menu it will be something else it just happens to be placed at the top of the screen and there is simple a reason for that - we read from the top down and not the bottom up and that stems from the fact we all are taught this behaviour from a early age as books, scriptures etc going back countless centuries have always been written from the top to bottom (however there are variations between languages which direction of the horizontal plane you start reading from i.e english left to right, arabic right to left, japanese read vertically going top to bottom, starting right to left).

People need to put their emotions aside and think pragmatically, however that is easier said than done.
    L Beezy likes this.
    07-07-2015 08:43 AM
    Hamburgers aren't going anywhere, I find it overly hilarious that no one really complains about the useage and placement of hamburger menus in mobile websites. Not to mention has the usage of hamburger menus hampered the adoption of android - no.

If Windows phone had a global market share 20x greater than what it is today then there wouldn't be a need for such a drastic UI change but the reality is - it does not. They have been following the same UI principles since Wp7, granted there have been alot of bone headed decisions along the way that has severly hampered growth. So something needs to give, you either start doing something differently or just call it quits.
    Mobile websites shouldn't be the model for OS UI design. Also doing things differently doesn't have to mean doing it stupidly. I can understand that MS is desperate to get the ball rolling with WP/Mobile/whatever adoption but throwing away most of what is good about WP for bad designs isn't likely to change things. If anything it's just ticking off the current users who came to the platform because they liked the uniqueness and user friendliness of WP. We've lost the hubs, the stylish typography, the panoramic apps and now one handed use. A Google-less Android clone with tiles just isn't exciting to me.
    07-07-2015 09:18 AM
    Well said concerning websites....they change everyday. OS does not.
    Also concerning the loss of windows design language.
    But for the sake of things I'm rollin with the punches here. Just would like to see it run fluid.
    07-07-2015 09:50 AM
    Well get used to it because it's here to stay. With three weeks left until launch, all the feedback in the world isn't going to get them to try and add an alternative navigation method.

At this point people probably need to start playing with the tech preview to decide if they're comfortable with the core ui components. If not you might want to go check out some macs and/or chromebooks. Anything that would require major foundational changes just isn't happening. Probably not even in future builds. It's the "last version of Windows". Take it or leave it.
    07-07-2015 09:58 AM
    I think the hamburger menu is way more intuitive. This is why it has gotten popular.
    Unless you've been on Windows Phone your whole smartphone existence ;-) To me, hamburger isn't intuitive and generally the different menus don't always function the same. Sometimes you have to click an X to close it, other times the back button will get rid of it, other times the back button will take you back to the previous screen (not desired). I find the ellipse menu unobtrusive, simple and predictable. Now, I DO see advantages to a menu system where you need submenus. But I just have not seen a hamburger menu I like using on the phone yet.
    07-07-2015 12:24 PM
    If your phone is 5 inches or higher, just hold the Windows button and the UI is lowered, making it easy to reach everything. Basically apple's Reachability feature. No excuses now.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-07-2015 12:31 PM
120 1234 ...