The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99

View Poll Results: Is using Hamburger Menu counter one handed use for you?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree

23 60.53%
  • Disagree

15 39.47%
05-04-2016 09:37 AM
120 12345
tools
    Okay, its a new feature in Windows 10 on large screens.

May I ask, what does the new feature do? When you hold the Windows button down, what happens?
    The whole screen is lowered so the top of the screen is in the middle of the screen.
    Laura Knotek and Kevin Rush like this.
    07-07-2015 12:35 PM
    it work for 5" too ? L930 for example ..
    07-07-2015 12:48 PM
    Yes works on my 930 running 10149
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-07-2015 01:18 PM
    The whole screen is lowered so the top of the screen is in the middle of the screen.
    Really? Am I the only one who thinks this is crazy nuts? What is going on at Microsoft? They switch from usable to less useable with the horrible hamburger in the upper left. Feedback says it isn't as usable as at the bottom. So they copy something from Apple, to slide the top of the screen down to be reachable! Geez! Isn't that like admitting that it isn't as usable? Seems like something a child would do.
    07-07-2015 01:25 PM
    About the hamburger menu, I think that the problem is WP's implementation of it more than the hamburger itself. You should not have to tap on it. It should slide open. I use it on WP, iOS, and Android. Most Android and iOS versions of it have the sliding feature, but I've not yet seen it on any WP app.
    The Spotify app and Pocket Casts (a podcast-listening app) both kind-of implement that "slide in from the left" gesture. (Only "kind of" because WP doesn't have a gesture for a slide that starts off-screen, while Android does (I don't know about iOS, but it sounds like it does, too.) It feels about the same - what I'm guessing they're doing is creating a tall thin transparent control that's a few pixels wide and responds to swipes by opening the hamburger menu.

It generally works, but it gets awkward when the main screen contains other elements that scroll horizontally - for example, check out the main "Radio" page on Spotify - you can "swipe from the left" to open the hamburger, but you have to be reeeeeeeeally careful - there's only a few spots on the whole screen that will open the menu, and not scroll the station lists. At that point, it's easier to just reach for the hamburger.
    07-07-2015 01:57 PM
    Microsoft should make the location of hamburger menu an option in the settings. My ideal location is lower right corner.

Also the navigation buttons (Back and Search) should be closer to the Start button.
    07-07-2015 02:34 PM
    It generally works, but it gets awkward when the main screen contains other elements that scroll horizontally - for example, check out the main "Radio" page on Spotify - you can "swipe from the left" to open the hamburger, but you have to be reeeeeeeeally careful - there's only a few spots on the whole screen that will open the menu, and not scroll the station lists. At that point, it's easier to just reach for the hamburger.
    Are you talking about Android here? For the most part, Android handles this quite elegantly (as elegantly as you can call anything Android! ). For elements that slide horizontally on the same page as the hamburger menu, you just start sliding from inside the edge a bit. Sliding in from the bezel opens the hamburger menu. It is quite intuitive once you learn it.
    07-07-2015 03:09 PM
    Yeah
    07-07-2015 06:16 PM
    Okay, its a new feature in Windows 10 on large screens.

May I ask, what does the new feature do? When you hold the Windows button down, what happens?
    Entire drawing canvas gets pushed halfway to the bottom, image mockup below:
    windows_10_-mobile-.jpg

__

The action is very useful. To exit this mode you can either tap in the empty space, or hold the Windows key for a second time.
    07-07-2015 07:19 PM
    Microsoft should make the location of hamburger menu an option in the settings. My ideal location is lower right corner.

Also the navigation buttons (Back and Search) should be closer to the Start button.
    Unfortunately if they did this many apps would lose canvas space.
    windows_10_-mobile-.jpg

P.S: Sorry for my crude mockups.
    07-07-2015 07:28 PM
    Mobile websites shouldn't be the model for OS UI design. Also doing things differently doesn't have to mean doing it stupidly. I can understand that MS is desperate to get the ball rolling with WP/Mobile/whatever adoption but throwing away most of what is good about WP for bad designs isn't likely to change things. If anything it's just ticking off the current users who came to the platform because they liked the uniqueness and user friendliness of WP. We've lost the hubs, the stylish typography, the panoramic apps and now one handed use. A Google-less Android clone with tiles just isn't exciting to me.
    Of course it isn't, it's the familiarity of design between what's out there and their own apps on other platforms.

I feel by doing this Microsoft is hoping they have found a winning formula as lets face it what are the alternatives?

Microsoft releasing android phones?

Or carry on doing what they were doing and maybe it will catch on but after several years of trying the same thing it hasn't so what do you do?

There is always an element of risk in anything you do as things can easily go side ways.

It's not about what you, I, or the current minority of users like (in comparison to the number of ios & android users, we are a minority). It's about appealing to mass audience and selling phones.

However there-in lies the problem, how do you a) get over the stigma of sales reps b) stop the carriers from hampering the sales of devices c) relay a consistent message across the board for developers, which far from consistent - Microsoft used their own tools to develop apps, whereas developers had a different set however with Windows 10 they are using the same tools as developers (source MJF - windows weekly).

Time will tell if they had found the winning formula or not, personally I feel that if they took the best bits out of WP10 and mixed it with WP8.1 they would have had a pretty solid product.

But let's not forget, phone is still in preview.
    rhapdog likes this.
    07-07-2015 10:55 PM
    If your phone is 5 inches or higher, just hold the Windows button and the UI is lowered, making it easy to reach everything. Basically apple's Reachability feature. No excuses now.
    Windows 10 Mobile adds reachability hack to compensate for incompetent UI designers | Pocketnow
    07-08-2015 02:37 AM
    07-08-2015 03:39 AM
    That article reflects my thoughts exactly. That MS would stoop to such levels of UI design incompetence is almost depressing.
    I feel by doing this Microsoft is hoping they have found a winning formula as lets face it what are the alternatives?
    Microsoft releasing android phones?
    Or carry on doing what they were doing and maybe it will catch on but after several years of trying the same thing it hasn't so what do you do?
    The alternatives are the same ones they've always been, but MS has for years failed to deliver:
    Create an OS that at least matches all the features of the iPhone, and add to that two or three signature features which are highly desirable to a lot of people, which MS are clearly first to market with, and which are easily marketable on television! Before MS does that, they haven't yet legitimately tried.
    Cortana may have been intended as such a feature, but Cortana's full feature set being limited to the US, and every other platform already having an assistent, made it difficult for many to see Cortana as a must-have feature they can't have anywhere else.
    The UI becoming more like the competition's just isn't a selling point. Not even to those who prefer it due to it being more familiar. Why not? Because the new UI represents, at best, a somewhat smaller barrier to entry, but that is meaningless if people aren't interested in what's on the other side of that barrier. They aren't...
    Most people here think these UI changes are all about "them" (as consumers), and that these changes are being made in the interest of progress, usability, and a better user experience.
    I doubt many at MS believe any of that. I'd bet most at MS view this as a step backwards in all of those areas. IMHO these changes have nothing to do with users and everything to do with developers, intended to facilitate single-source cross-platform app portability. It's also a good step towards making an eventual transition to an MS phone running Android less jarring, should it ever come to that. Obviously, neither of those are reasons MS could publicly admit to.
    Last edited by a5cent; 07-08-2015 at 06:15 AM.
    TechFreak1 likes this.
    07-08-2015 05:15 AM
    I don't see any major issue for single handed use in W10.
    In general the UI in W10 is a huge step forward from WP 7/8/8.1. It seems Microsoft didn't have time to design a decent user experience for WP 7 and just rushed a mediocre product to compete with iPhone.
    07-08-2015 09:39 AM
    I don't see any major issue for single handed use in W10.
    In general the UI in W10 is a huge step forward from WP 7/8/8.1. It seems Microsoft didn't have time to design a decent user experience for WP 7 and just rushed a mediocre product to compete with iPhone.
    Hahahahahahhaha u made me laugh really hard!! Joke of the day!
    07-08-2015 09:48 AM
    Hahahahahahhaha u made me laugh really hard!! Joke of the day!
    He is actually right though the design was amazing but the experience was annoying. Apps used such huge fonts so there wasn't that much space for content. Soooo much scrolllingggggggg. The worst part was the settings which they didn't update till 2015 with 8.1 GDR2 It took 5 years for them to fix the settings menu. 5 years!
    07-08-2015 12:49 PM
    Are you talking about Android here? For the most part, Android handles this quite elegantly (as elegantly as you can call anything Android! ). For elements that slide horizontally on the same page as the hamburger menu, you just start sliding from inside the edge a bit. Sliding in from the bezel opens the hamburger menu. It is quite intuitive once you learn it.
    I'm talking specifically about the two WP apps I know of (Pocket Casts and Spotify) that allow an Android-like "swipe in from the left" gesture to open the hamburger menu. But it's not as "elegant" as Android's implementation, because WP doesn't recognize the difference between a swipe that starts OFF the screen and one that starts ON the screen. Sorry I didn't make that clear.
    tgp and colinkiama like this.
    07-08-2015 01:25 PM
    He is actually right though the design was amazing but the experience was annoying. Apps used such huge fonts so there wasn't that much space for content. Soooo much scrolllingggggggg. The worst part was the settings which they didn't update till 2015 with 8.1 GDR2 It took 5 years for them to fix the settings menu. 5 years!
    Ehmmm... On WP8.1 fonts were too large and necessitated way too much scrolling, which is why there is no single-handed usability issue on W10M??? Yup, makes complete sense... not.
    I agree with your criticisms of the UI on WP8.1 (although I find how the W10M UI necessitates a lot of precision tapping all over the screen even more annoying).
    I also agree with MS that almost nobody uses their phone with just one hand. Why? Because only 3% of smartphone users had a phone where UI elements were positioned in a way that made single-handed usage feasible.

Right now MS is slightly exaggerating when they say "nobody uses their phone single-handedly". Once WP users have all moved on to W10M, MS will be absolutely right however...
    07-08-2015 05:11 PM
    That article reflects my thoughts exactly. That MS would stoop to such levels of UI design incompetence is almost depressing.

The alternatives are the same ones they've always been, but MS has for years failed to deliver:
    Create an OS that at least matches all the features of the iPhone, and add to that two or three signature features which are highly desirable to a lot of people, which MS are clearly first to market with, and which are easily marketable on television! Before MS does that, they haven't yet legitimately tried.
    Cortana may have been intended as such a feature, but Cortana's full feature set being limited to the US, and every other platform already having an assistent, made it difficult for many to see Cortana as a must-have feature they can't have anywhere else.
    The UI becoming more like the competition's just isn't a selling point. Not even to those who prefer it due to it being more familiar. Why not? Because the new UI represents, at best, a somewhat smaller barrier to entry, but that is meaningless if people aren't interested in what's on the other side of that barrier. They aren't...
    Most people here think these UI changes are all about "them" (as consumers), and that these changes are being made in the interest of progress, usability, and a better user experience.
    I doubt many at MS believe any of that. I'd bet most at MS view this as a step backwards in all of those areas. IMHO these changes have nothing to do with users and everything to do with developers, intended to facilitate single-source cross-platform app portability. It's also a good step towards making an eventual transition to an MS phone running Android less jarring, should it ever come to that. Obviously, neither of those are reasons MS could publicly admit to.

Know something, that we don’t? :P

You’ve got that right that; they sat on their laurels and became stagnant and what unique features?

Apart from the UI there aren’t any with WP 8.1 they have all been butchered for the poorly implemented app model.
    I’m aware of that, which is why I said I feel that MS is hoping they have found a winning formula as they have been scrounging around the bottom of the barrel for too long now. Therefore something had to give. I imagine with Ballmer they would have ploughed away with what they were doing until the finally made headway whereas Satya is a more results orientated either that or he wants to be seen as a pro-active CEO as opposed to reactive (hence the large lay offs in the phone division months after the previous).

It’s easier to make a sale if people are interested in what you’re selling and with nothing to convince them to cross that barrier… it’s near an impossible sell.

That is most likely true but unfortunately there have been far too many bone headed decisions made along the years that just hampered growth and cannibalised WP sales (actions speak louder than words). If they had a balanced focus on developers, the enterprise and consumers from the get go then things would have been different.

Never the less I am somewhat optimistic about WP 10 (I'm not enamored by the 'new' design practises either just what we will finally get from a technical standpoint i.e - usb dual role - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/...on-mobile.aspx), once the general public get hold of the final Wp10 SDK there should be a much clearer picture to what the future may bring. The WinHec documentations only give a partial glimpse (as things can change last minute).
    07-08-2015 05:52 PM
    Know something, that we dont? :P).
    My predictions regarding everything WP and RT related have been quite accurate over the years, including my most recent prediction where I "divined" what Nadella meant with "tough choices" (further layoffs and a renewed focus on a streamlined product portfolio), but with two or three exceptions, "know" is too strong a word. :-)
    Anyway, while I tend to agree with the overwhelming majority of your posts, here I'm just not sure what you are saying. It sounds like you are saying that MS failed to innovate and fumbled a few times too often (I agree), leaving MS with no choice but to "reinvent" their mobile UI (i.e. abandon metro and do as iOS does). I just don't see why those failures necessarily lead to this UI outcome.
    IMHO MS needs:
    a) more unique features that are easily marketable
    b) more innovation
    c) more differentiators
    Removing most everything that was unique and innovative about WP's UI (rather than just fixing what was broken or adding what was missing), doesn't jive with that list. IMHO that's a clear indication the UI is headed in the wrong direction.
    I could be convinced this UI has some potential benefits specifically for iOS and Android developers, provided MS introduces tools that can leverage those similarities for devs, but so far nobody in the media or MS is even discussing that angle...
    07-08-2015 07:29 PM
    My predictions regarding everything WP and RT related have been quite accurate over the years, including my most recent prediction where I "divined" what Nadella meant with "tough choices" (further layoffs and a renewed focus on a streamlined product portfolio), but with two or three exceptions, "know" is too strong a word. :-)
    Anyway, while I tend to agree with the overwhelming majority of your posts, here I'm just not sure what you are saying. It sounds like you are saying that MS failed to innovate and fumbled a few times too often (I agree), leaving MS with no choice but to "reinvent" their mobile UI (i.e. abandon metro and do as iOS does). I just don't see why those failures necessarily lead to this UI outcome.
    IMHO MS needs:
    a) more unique features that are easily marketable
    b) more innovation
    c) more differentiators
    Removing most everything that was unique and innovative about WP's UI (rather than just fixing what was broken or adding what was missing), doesn't jive with that list. IMHO that's a clear indication the UI is headed in the wrong direction.
    I could be convinced this UI has some potential benefits specifically for iOS and Android developers, provided MS introduces tools that can leverage those similarities for devs, but so far nobody in the media or MS is even discussing that angle...
    Fair enough and Yup, in a nut shell spot on.

In regards to this UI conundrum... Microsoft always over reacts and tends to cull an entire jungle only to start a fresh from one meager sap for example WP7 didn't even have a single speck of enterprise functionality whereas WM did - (you would think both running CE would make it easier).

As opposed to methodically picking out the dead wood.

In a results orientated business or rather with a results orientated CEO, you can't keep doing the same thing over and over again thus losing money year-in / year-out in the process.

Something had to give and that is unfortunately the very design principles that drew a lot of people to Windows Phone. Like the saying goes, can't beat 'em then join 'em. If Android didn't command such a large market share I doubt they would have gone for the android-esque route; if this familiarity formulae doesn't work... I don't want to even think about what may happen next.

I imagine, under Ballmer this would no doubt would have been no different than what they did with Xbox - pour money in and stick to their guns until the the pit levels out.

I agree in regards to your last point however the main "bridge" tools project astoria (android) & project islandwood(ios) are not available to the general public yet. Furthermore there haven't been many leaks in the wild either which would explain why there hasn't been much talk in the media about this side of the spectrum. On the flip side, Microsoft is more than likely in "shut up and ship" mode with all hands on deck as the next few months are pretty damn important to them therefore they can't afford any minor hiccups PR wise.
    07-09-2015 04:36 AM
    Ehmmm... On WP8.1 fonts were too large and necessitated way too much scrolling, which is why there is no single-handed usability issue on W10M??? Yup, makes complete sense... not.
    I agree with your criticisms of the UI on WP8.1 (although I find how the W10M UI necessitates a lot of precision tapping all over the screen even more annoying).
    I also agree with MS that almost nobody uses their phone with just one hand. Why? Because only 3% of smartphone users had a phone where UI elements were positioned in a way that made single-handed usage feasible.

Right now MS is slightly exaggerating when they say "nobody uses their phone single-handedly". Once WP users have all moved on to W10M, MS will be absolutely right however...
    I never said there wasn't a single handed issue on windows 10 because of that, I was praising 8.1 the fact that it was soo easy to use with one hand because of the design but it also created problems.
    07-09-2015 08:08 AM
    Really? I never thought I'd need to write this here. Actually, I'm more amazed at no one ever thought, giving a font size control could solve the problem everyone describes. Personally I like the biggest fonts of WP8, some like the normal ones in the WP8.1 and some like even smaller. Instead, they changed the whole UI for the reasons best known to themselves, and chose to transfer the controls to the upper side giving a ridiculous reachability mode. I had actually decided not to reply to these threads as they don't really matter, but I couldn't really help. Because IMO, WP7 was the most thought out OS till date, this WM10 thingy or Android and iOS are the things people are just used to. Just this doesn't meant, it is better. What made WP7 and 8 and 8.1 a fail was less features and apps compared to the other OS. You can't really look at the 3% market share and blindly blame the UI for it. Remember when WP started it had literally no apps, still it got to a market share of 3%, I think that was because of the uniqueness of OS. Think, if Android lookalike is what people wanted, Firefox OS, or Tizen or Bada would succeed. Look at their marketshare. It's pathetically low. But, no one understands this, huh, not even Microsoft!
    Kram Sacul and Kevin Rush like this.
    07-09-2015 08:14 AM
    I dunno. As a non-dude and a lefty at that, I am diggin' it.
    07-09-2015 08:22 AM
120 12345