Hamburger menu system SUCKS for one handed orientation!

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
You know what. I have the lumia 830 and I can't use it with one hand regardless of the hamburger menu. I have a short thumb apparently. I can't even reach the back button. In the world of large screens I don't think anyone uses phones with one hand. Sometimes if i'm shopping I'll open up my grocery list with one hand and so on. But full usage? I think it's best you can't use it with one hand because it will just end up with more people driving while using their phone.

I think the hamburger menu is way more intuitive. This is why it has gotten popular. It's almost become the "standard" and it makes sense. So now moving to Windows phone will be easier because where do people look for settings? Hamburger menu! I actually never liked the ellipses, it's not intuitive to the general public. And it's not like it really helps that much. I have apps where I hit the ellipses but then it opens a small menu where I still have to reach my thumb to press one of the settings. And my thumb can't reach it!

Little thumbers everywhere rebel!

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I think I have a great idea.
I'll make a tumb extender so ppl who had short tumb, using 1520, and can't get used to hamburger menu can use it single handed.

Personally new UI feels nice. It kind of little pain to scroll down the whole setting to grab one setting. New UI group it and really helps

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I'm getting quite tired of this complaint. It's constant, and it's pointless. Hamburger menus are here to stay. Microsoft has explained why they're here and why they're not going to change.
Very few people actually use their phones one-handed anyways. In a world where phones are becoming larger and larger, one-handed usage is becoming less and less common.
I'm perfectly fine with the hamburger menus. No, they're not perfect. They may not even be the best solution available. But they're here. They're not horrible, and it isn't going to affect Windows 10 Mobile adversely, since Android and iOS use them too. The only people who care about the hamburger menus seem to be Windows users with tiny hands. I'm sorry, but you're the minority.

Stanleywinston

May 31, 2015
Visit site
I've no problem with the hamburger. Not really sure what all the fuss was about. It's the choice of what to put in it that is important. If you get that right then for normal use the user doesn't have to go into it. On those special occasions that you need to change a setting, I don't mind bringing another hand to the party. Incidentally I quite like the hold the windows key down feature for occasions where my other hand is too busy to help.

I've not voted though as I'm not sure the question is worded clearly. Perhaps don't organise any referendums ;-)

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Anyone here ever use their phone two handed? I have owned and tried many phones, however this trend of "larger = better" is only gaining more traction. A UI that is unfavorable for this trend should not be implemented, even if it goes against what we are accustomed to.

iOS was just fine with hamburgers, only because their phones were smaller! Now they are adding "reachability" modes to preserve their archaic UI!! Why would Microsoft add hamburger menus and a reachibility mode? It just does not add up...

Using my phone two handed peeves me a little, but really bothers me is that hamburger menus are not useful at all on the current build of Win10Mo.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I remember the screen size debate a year or so ago...

1520 owners said things like "I can still reach the other side" and "I always use two hands anyway, doesn't everybody"?... Some of those same people can't reach the hamburger button though.

anon(5725119)

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I use my phone one handed and at the moment it' a 5 inch screen. Some apps already have hamburgers and they really suck :(
But oh well, nothing we can do now. They're definitely not going to change it. It is what it is.

Snowy Nokia

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
@Jag Mann
Definitely not looking for Microsoft to back out from hamburger, but should be better implemented.
Thx for the feedback.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I remember the screen size debate a year or so ago...

1520 owners said things like "I can still reach the other side" and "I always use two hands anyway, doesn't everybody"?... Some of those same people can't reach the hamburger button though.

I can reach from corner using one hand but it is uncomfortable. I honestly think hamburgers should be on phones with under 4" screen size. The whole point of their existence was to remove clutter, as older smartphones had smaller screens.
__

This is 2015, where even budget phones such as the Lumia 640 have large screens. Microsoft should take notes from Sailfish, WebOS, and BB10. If they want drawers they should be using gestures not hamburgers.

For example, why not hold Windows Button and drag finger to edge to invoke a drawer? A simple, easy to use gesture is much better than tapping an icon, especially with larger screens. Ellipses with panoramas would be nice too

Snowy Nokia

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Anyone here ever use their phone two handed? I have owned and tried many phones, however this trend of "larger = better" is only gaining more traction. A UI that is unfavorable for this trend should not be implemented, even if it goes against what we are accustomed to.

iOS was just fine with hamburgers, only because their phones were smaller! Now they are adding "reachability" modes to preserve their archaic UI!! Why would Microsoft add hamburger menus and a reachibility mode? It just does not add up...

Using my phone two handed peeves me a little, but really bothers me is that hamburger menus are not useful at all on the current build of Win10Mo.

I like how you think and talk!
"Reachability" is right an key to make it fluid.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb