When is Windows 10 Mobile coming out?

Ankit Ruhela

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 Home and Pro versions hit the deck on July 29th, but what about Windows 10 Mobile?
Forgive me if I may have missed something on the internet that points to the answer to this question, but I'd also like to know what others think on this same topic; whether are not everyone else is as clueless as I am or not?

Ankit Ruhela

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
yeah well, that is what confuses me.
Microsoft says and I quote -- "We are working with Windows Phone 8.1 partners to make the Windows 10 upgrade available to most phones later this year", which means they need to collaborate with the OEMs and mobile operators in specific regions, and I get it. It is as always it has been.
But for people such as myself who are not bound by OEMs or mobile operators, are we going to get it early, and if yes, till what precise date.

All of this remains a mystery.

Zapella Tiago

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
yeah well, that is what confuses me.
Microsoft says and I quote -- "We are working with Windows Phone 8.1 partners to make the Windows 10 upgrade available to most phones later this year", which means they need to collaborate with the OEMs and mobile operators in specific regions, and I get it. It is as always it has been.
But for people such as myself who are not bound by OEMs or mobile operators, are we going to get it early, and if yes, till what precise date.

All of this remains a mystery.

"But for people such as myself who are not bound by OEMs or mobile operators," even if your phone it's a CV, MS can't just push the update. Maybe, but we don't have any confirmation, Windows Insiders will receive the update earlier, still, no date yet. Sometimes around September/October.

Ankit Ruhela

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
"But for people such as myself who are not bound by OEMs or mobile operators," even if your phone it's a CV, MS can't just push the update. Maybe, but we don't have any confirmation, Windows Insiders will receive the update earlier, still, no date yet. Sometimes around September/October.

yes, Insiders are going to get the priority as with the Windows 10 Desktop versions. :D
It's just hard to wait 'til September! :p

Ankit Ruhela

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
You don't have to wait, you can install TP right now, the latest build is pretty stable..

Yes, I did install it, used it for a week, and apps like WhatsApp and Readit stopped working because they are targeted for WP8.1 and whenever some update came, they refused to install and gave me an error, so I had to revert back to WP8.1

I dug in and found out that the app manifest has requirement specification of which OS is the app targeting and if an app targets WP8.1, it will not work on WXM.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I did install it, used it for a week, and apps like WhatsApp and Readit stopped working because they are targeted for WP8.1 and whenever some update came, they refused to install and gave me an error, so I had to revert back to WP8.1

I dug in and found out that the app manifest has requirement specification of which OS is the app targeting and if an app targets WP8.1, it will not work on WXM.

Well, if you can access the app manifest, you should be able to modify that file and Zip the files up, re-name it from ZIP to a XAP and side load it...

I've done that a few times for some WP 7 apps that would not run right and a few times (not all) it would address the issue.

Ankit Ruhela

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Well, if you can access the app manifest, you should be able to modify that file and Zip the files up, re-name it from ZIP to a XAP and side load it...

I've done that a few times for some WP 7 apps that would not run right and a few times (not all) it would address the issue.

yeah, but I can't access WhatsApp's app manifest, for that to happen I need to be one of the WhatsApp developers.

and even if somehow i do get access to the WhatsApp XAP file, It will be represented as an encrypted MD5 hash in Visual Studio (2013 Ultimate; the version I have).

so in short, it won't work until WhatsApp takes note of this, and starts supporting Windows 10 mobile beta for preliminary use. :p :D

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Same here, been using whatsapp almost as normal as it is somewhat buggy as sometimes it doesn't find any pictures or videos if you want to share them.

Installed it from the old store as other then the office preview apps and onenote nothing else installs for me via the new store.

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
No matter when WP10 is finally released I'm sure it will be at least six months of bugs and disappointments.

I'm always looking forward to these new things and I always end up wishing I had waited a while longer.

And still I know I will get my new WP10 handset on day one anyway. :)

Ankit Ruhela

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Same here, been using whatsapp almost as normal as it is somewhat buggy as sometimes it doesn't find any pictures or videos if you want to share them.

Installed it from the old store as other then the office preview apps and onenote nothing else installs for me via the new store.

well then I am not as sure as I sound. WhatsApp on my Lumia 830 (Win 10 Build 10149) didn't work at all after a minor update hit the store, and I wasn't even able to uninstall it so that I could reinstall a fresh copy.
Anyway, waiting for a newer build now.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
well then I am not as sure as I sound. WhatsApp on my Lumia 830 (Win 10 Build 10149) didn't work at all after a minor update hit the store, and I wasn't even able to uninstall it so that I could reinstall a fresh copy.
Anyway, waiting for a newer build now.

What may have happened is that Store (beta) probably tried to update whatsapp therefore corrupting the install, I had it happen to Metrotube and can't reinstall it from either store (despite turning auto-update apps off in the Store (beta)).

Ankit Ruhela

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
What may have happened is that Store (beta) probably tried to update whatsapp therefore corrupting the install, I had it happen to Metrotube and can't reinstall it from either store (despite turning auto-update apps off in the Store (beta)).

yes, perhaps.
do you have any workaround you are aware of?
or probably I'll just wait for a newer build and hope that I don't encounter any problems in that as the leaked details of WXM Build 10162 shows the beta tag is removed, which means that the old store is gone. If nothing else, that'll fix the issue.

Praneel D kiD

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Guys I'm having a problem...while upgrading windowsphone 8.1 to windows 10 mobile when the spinning gears starts after 2 mins it simply gets switched off...!! What should I do...?? Plz help

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99