07-16-2015 01:19 AM
141 12345 ...
tools
    Journalists in the digital age write stuff to get page views and clicks, not necessarily to generate wisdom. You have to ignore most of the buzz being fed to the masses. MS cutting back on the number of phones released will only be visible to insiders since most ordinary phone buyers all around the world only have a very few selections they actually see and can purchase. Here in the US the only Windows phones I have ever seen in stores are the Lumia 520 and Lumia 635. Sure, AT&T has sold a few of the higher-end phones, but if you don't go into an AT&T store and ask for one you will never see one. For awhile there the 1020 was being advertised on TV and I saw it there, but those ads are long gone and the only 1020 I see regularly is owned by my son who got it by going into an AT&T store and ordering it--none in stock. My point being, if MS can just get two or three different phones to be regularly stocked by the likes of WalMart, Best Buy, Target, AT&T, and T-Mobile it will be a vast expansion of the available Windows phones, even if the company is making fewer models.
    07-09-2015 09:33 AM
    WOW what a terrible message! Who the **** will make apps when they know Windows mobile will be dead in two years? Great message Microsoft. You are ******* dumb!!!!! And the timing. All these layoffs right before the release of Windows 10 and flagships. Those guys ay Microsoft have their brains in their ***! Do they wanna die badly??? Windows is doomed with every single tech site out there claiming windows mobile is dead. Long term this will mean windows as a whole will die. Mobile is essential. Which OEM will makes windows mobiles???? So far I can name almost NONE. Who made any device with the Microsoft health kit? NOBODY. Microsoft is acting in ways that are beyond stupidity. Giving such bad messages and still expecting Windows mobile 10 to to hit off? Are they smoking mushrooms? Who will make apps when the future is said to be unsure after 2 years???? I repeat: NOBODY. Nadella is the biggest fail ever with no patience.

Two years are over in a heart beat and nothing will have changed. Thus Windows mobile is dead.

Just switch the platform :) Why you should wait to see what will happen?
    I made that step last year with no regrets.
    Now I have all the apps that I need, official and unofficial, stable platform, regular updates...No worries :)

And I had bought so many apps for my Lumia 925. But apps are there into my account, so if some day windows mobile platform gets better, I will make a switch again.
    chmun77 likes this.
    07-09-2015 09:39 AM
    I think the timing is what is giving alot of people a negative view. They should have waited at least until Win10 Mobile was out before going this route. I have been a WP/Android user for some time now. But WP was my main phone and the Android my secondary. I even ordered a 640XL two days ago. I cancelled the order yesterday. Reason. I don't trust Microsoft for support any longer. Instead I will get a upper end Android and it will become my main phone. I will use my (EXCELLENT) 820 as the secondary phone. If they upgrade the 820 with WP10 and I like it I may think about getting a better WP. If not I will drop WP and go with Android only. This whole thing has been not handled very well so why should it change now. There is very little confidence in Microsoft's mobile outlook. As I already have four WP phones I will keep up and watch what is happening by using them but they just shut the door on me or my wife buying any more WP phones. Bill Gates must really be grinding his teeth now.
    07-09-2015 09:46 AM
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Satya Nadella does not care if Windows Phone dies. It wasn't his baby and doesn't appear to be a large part of his vision for the company. If it succeeds it's a bonus but if the time comes to axe something it'll be one of his first choices. Sad since I've used nothing but wp since 6.5 but not the end of the world.
    chmun77 likes this.
    07-09-2015 09:49 AM
    "Mobile first, cloud first"

Satya has stood on stage saying this many times. He's said it in emails. Press releases stay this as a tag-line for Microsoft's description of it's business.

Where's the "Mobile" part of that statement going to come from if Microsoft publically walks away from the products and platform?

I don't see anything in those four words of the mission statement that tells me that Satya does not care for mobile. I think you're confusing Windows Phone with the Nokia acquisition that he wasn't involved with.
    07-09-2015 09:53 AM
    I even ordered a 640XL two days ago. I cancelled the order yesterday. Reason. I don't trust Microsoft for support any longer. Instead I will get a upper end Android and it will become my main phone.
    Excuse me sir, but based on your signature you have already owned a lot of Lumia devices in short period of time. Someone who changes phones so often now decided to go for a phone that will last more than 2 years, why?
    RumoredNow, jlangner and danz14 like this.
    07-09-2015 09:56 AM
    Where's the "Mobile" part of that statement going to come from if Microsoft publically walks away from the products and platform?
    The mobile will come from all the iOS and Android devices running Windows apps, with or without Microsoft hardware. The whole universal app idea is to get Microsoft stuff onto iOS and Android devices where the huge numbers are. Already the best Microsoft apps are better on iOS or Android. I think Nadella's vision for the moment is to have enough devices to showcase what Windows 10 and universal apps can do, but the sales numbers will come from all the other device manufacturers.
    FinancialP likes this.
    07-09-2015 10:00 AM
    The 820 was my first WP. Bought over two years ago. The 925 is my wifes main phone, bought about a year and a half ago. The other two are inexpensive backup phones that have not ever been used. Just a backup in case we had trouble with the 820 or 925. The Moto G Lte was to try Android as I already had two Android tablets. So you can see I don't change phones often at all.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-09-2015 10:04 AM
    "Mobile first, cloud first"

Satya has stood on stage saying this many times. He's said it in emails. Press releases stay this as a tag-line for Microsoft's description of it's business.

I don't see anything in those four words of the mission statement that tells me that Satya does not care for mobile. I think you're confusing Windows Phone with the Nokia acquisition that he wasn't involved with.
    The "mobile" in Mobile First comes from the Android and iOS platforms (in addition to WP). All of MS' core apps are available and tailored for them. He never said WP mobile first...MS is primarily a software company.
    07-09-2015 10:08 AM
    If that's the case, why bother with the Surface products (and the widespread success they've achieved both in sales and reviews)?
    07-09-2015 10:16 AM
    The mobile will come from all the iOS and Android devices running Windows apps, with or without Microsoft hardware. The whole universal app idea is to get Microsoft stuff onto iOS and Android devices where the huge numbers are. Already the best Microsoft apps are better on iOS or Android. I think Nadella's vision for the moment is to have enough devices to showcase what Windows 10 and universal apps can do, but the sales numbers will come from all the other device manufacturers.
    i thought it was supposed to be the other way around. Getting ios and droid apps to run on all windows platforms, like windows desktop, mobile, xbox etc....
    07-09-2015 10:22 AM
    They said AT LEAST 2 years. With development time for hardware, I'd imagine this means that they have hardware in the works or planned that may not be out for another 2 years, then they'll see after that.

Which means there is no need to jump ship just yet.
    I think most of you are missing the point. What does a company or app developer think after hearing that MS will continue to develop phones for "at least 2 years"? It introduces some amount of doubt if they are thinking of supporting the platform. Why even put a time table on it? What's the point of that? One of the biggest issues with the adoption rate is lack of apps and making an announcement like that doesn't help. Not to mention a potential buyer that's on the fence on which phone to buy.

If you want WP to succeed like I do, you should feel the same way. Don't just follow what they say, question it. Microsoft should know better.
    anon(5969054) and etad putta like this.
    07-09-2015 11:24 AM
    You guys are missing the point of the two years comment. First, its not an official statement. That's huge... Secondly, it was only mentioned because people were wrongly assuming MS was abandoning WP.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    07-09-2015 11:30 AM
    WP was not doing overall that great ! With out this news of layoffs,write offs etc! Imagine now! Ok true many don't read tech site to hear of this news but it on media news outlets now! NBC,CBS,ABC, all have reported on this disaster!
    Even with good news about WP ....they still struggle ! Oh well:(
    07-09-2015 11:37 AM
    You are wrong. Are you reading the web? I follow 40 of the biggest tech sites and they all say it is dead or nearly dead.
    Aaaaaand you expect an objective approach to Microsoft or Windows Phone from these tech sites? Really? That's like going into a carrier store and asking a sales person about Windows Phone and expecting to get objective information. Good luck with that.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    07-09-2015 11:59 AM
    Approximately 6 months ago, Samsung announced that they had too many phones they were producing and would "simplifying it's product line" in 2015. That means that they are eliminating products. That is exactly what Microsoft is choosing to do. Arguably, that is necessary. There are too many Lumia brands. There has been countless discussions of that over the years.

This product simplification comes along with the very unfortunate announcement that 7800 employees will be let go, along with the write off the Nokia assets. That make this look much more dire than it is.

However, I am trying not to sound like a cheerleader, it also shows us that perhaps Mr. Nadella's Microsoft isn't willing to maintain business as usual if Windows mobile fails to make a splash in the market. But we have to take the news at face value. For at least another phone product cycle, there will be Windows phones in the marketplace. We will definitely see flagships with the release of Win10 mobile. A lot can happen in two years. If the promise of one Windows comes to fruition, product share may increase. Customers may return, and Windows mobile may become more integral to Microsoft's mission.
    07-09-2015 12:19 PM
    Sheesh, this shows the impact all these bloogers who are sticking the knife into microsoft are achieving. To think that windows phone will stop is complete conjecture for that has never been hinted at. HARDWARE may be at risk, no doubt about that, Microsoft will be watching to see if when they narrow their approach to see if others get some traction. Microsoft have no interest in dominating a hardware market, they are a software company, but I think we have seen especially with the surface that they are happy to work with thier partners and contribute in select areas with hardware. I sure hope Lumias continue, they are great phones, and I believe they will in those three areas we are now all well familiar with.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    07-09-2015 12:36 PM
    I think if they let down windows phone after the 2 years..even windows os itself will be affected as they are focusing on universal apps and continuum which works best for windows phone alongside the pc...however in 2 years i dun think things will be so bad...things are bad now because no flagship is out yet and the phones hardware r pretty dated....once they restructure and focus on the new market segments things will start moving...fingers crossed...
    Raymond Lavertue likes this.
    07-09-2015 01:14 PM
    There are so many important issues touched on in this thread.

Americans are losing out with CDMA phones.

The link between cellular service and phone purchase should be severed, or at least totally optional. And if you do try to purchase a GSM unlocked phone online from a non-carrier it should not be a dice roll. I purchased a Lumia 635 advertised as unlocked from Amazon. It came with an AT & T logo on it -- as it turns out I wanted AT & T service, then. I still don't know if its unlocked or not. Now I'm using a Lumia 640 purchased from the Microsoft Store. It was advertised as a T-Mobile phone. It came with a T-Mobile SIM card. Presumably its locked but unlockable?

Great phones and great OS's don't necessarily reach the mainstream. My extraordinary 2010 Palm Pre with its remarkable Palm OS is sitting in front of me, an unsupported, de-activated work of art.

Microsoft has an opportunity to do something revolutionary with Windows Phone. Untethering the duped masses of Americans from the arrogant cellular carriers that provide overpriced inferior technology and services should be a part of the revolution. Microsoft: your Mobile vision is a good one. Follow it through, but find a better way to get your product to consumers.
    Last edited by Raymond Lavertue; 07-09-2015 at 02:01 PM.
    07-09-2015 01:36 PM
    MS is going to need other hardware companies to make Windows Mobile devices to make Windows 10 work. If there was a M9 for Windows, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk
    07-09-2015 02:28 PM
    Just my personal experience but in the past week, I have encountered two (count 'em, two!) people I did not personally know who were talking on a white Microsoft Lumia 640. That's two more Lumia owners than I've personally seen in the previous 50 weeks (excluding immediate family members of course). Things are looking up!

It would probably be safe to assume they bought them at WalMart.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    07-09-2015 02:58 PM
    It's situations like this that have led win phone to this point in the first place. When Microsoft pull stunts like this they never explain things clearly which leads to speculation and rumour and negative press.
    They must be reading the articles and blogs stating the demise of Windows Phone so why aren't they addressing them? A lie can travel around the world before the truth has got it's boots on. If the truth is still dozing in bed it has no chance!
    By the time this news filters down to the average mobile buying consumer I can bet it will come across as though win phone will be dead in two years.
    If MS are committed to the success of Windows Phone and win 10 mobile, even if it's on other OEM hardware, they should be all over this with damage control.
    anon(5969054), ric2001 and mandong like this.
    07-09-2015 03:10 PM
    Perception is not always the reality....

I think MS made a mistake on the timing of these announcements (layoffs and the 2-year commitment). The only entity that can fix this situation is - you guessed right - MS again. If I was MS I would do something right now, not later to put off this fire.....For example, if at least one of the flagship phones is ready for primetime, I would release it now with WP8.1 Update 2 OS on it and not wait until WP10 is finalized.....my 2c
    Andrew Gordon likes this.
    07-09-2015 03:50 PM
    What a mess. Timing wasn't great, lack of clarity is awful as usual, and they refuse to ever set the record straight which allows the media to create the reality. MS is awful and incompetent she its comes to communicating their vision, their message and their products. How hard would it be for Nadella to just clear things up with a 1 sentence statement? He simply won't do it. I truly believe he would drop WP today if he thought he could get away with it.

In addition, I mentioned the other day, I went into an AT@T store on Monday and was told WP was awful. Why is it awful, because there is too many things going on, "too many windows" as the rep said. I then went to Verizon with my Uncle who is looking to upgrade, the Verizon rep told us MS was cancelling WP, adopting android and just putting their services on it. So in a matter of 15 minutes, from the 2 biggest carriers, that's the message being sent. Oh, and neither store carries any WP's.

This is an ongoing issue that MS simply refuses to address. I even sent a tip to Windows Central to see if the would write an article about this issue sp we could all share our experiences with the obstacles at retail. Nothing, nada.

MS has been like an absentee parent with WP, terrible marketing, mismanagement on every level and no desire of effort given to improving the retail situation. They are the reason it has not been successful and instead of doing anything right, they would rather pull the plug. It's pathetic. If WP ever finds any success it will be in spite of MS and Nadella, not because of them.
    07-09-2015 04:01 PM
    What a mess. Timing wasn't great, lack of clarity is awful as usual, and they refuse to ever set the record straight which allows the media to create the reality. MS is awful and incompetent she its comes to communicating their vision, their message and their products. How hard would it be for Nadella to just clear things up with a 1 sentence statement? He simply won't do it. I truly believe he would drop WP today if he thought he could get away with it.

In addition, I mentioned the other day, I went into an AT@T store on Monday and was told WP was awful. Why is it awful, because there is too many things going on, "too many windows" as the rep said. I then went to Verizon with my Uncle who is looking to upgrade, the Verizon rep told us MS was cancelling WP, adopting android and just putting their services on it. So in a matter of 15 minutes, from the 2 biggest carriers, that's the message being sent. Oh, and neither store carries any WP's.

This is an ongoing issue that MS simply refuses to address. I even sent a tip to Windows Central to see if the would write an article about this issue sp we could all share our experiences with the obstacles at retail. Nothing, nada.

MS has been like an absentee parent with WP, terrible marketing, mismanagement on every level and no desire of effort given to improving the retail situation. They are the reason it has not been successful and instead of doing anything right, they would rather pull the plug. It's pathetic. If WP ever finds any success it will be in spite of MS and Nadella, not because of them.
    Your post hits everything right. This is exactly what is wrong. WP could easily gain more market share with the right management but they don't do anything to make it succeed. The opposite. They damage and confuse. It's truly pathetic.
    There is no reason whatsoever to give a timeline of two years in the open. They could eeasily think this secretly and then suddenly pull the plug in two years. Now it's like, why even try if you are not believing in your product? I am not expecting anything from OEMs. Never have they released a decent windows phone. When the galaxy 7 hits the market we might get a galaxy 6 with windows phone. No wonder they don't sell.
    Microsoft seriously has to respond quickly to all this bad press. Average consumers will remember these headlines of 'wp is dead' when they go buy a phone. Add to that sales people who refuse to sell WPs and there is no chance in hell you will sell windows phones.
    ohgood, ric2001 and etad putta like this.
    07-09-2015 04:16 PM
141 12345 ...