They promise 2 years.. Why not die already with such a terrible message?

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Oh man... You need to use better examples...

SEGA is now making loads of cash off mobile gaming... Sonic is huge across all the platforms. Atari is doing the same - porting their classic ROM's to mobile gaming. Again, saved by the fact they made the move to mobile. Nokia, well this should be interesting. Licensing Android devices to other manufacturers... It's what originally made HTC so amazing - I remember seeing Verizon branded smartphones back in the day made by HTC - even before I knew HTC. If Nokia pulls that off, they will be back with a vengeance! That quality with an open label system? Gorgeous...

I do get what you are saying though. These companies usually get swallowed up or just go away. I have a feeling that if Nintendo doesn't go mobile soon, they will be on the end of a buyout. Same thing with HTC and BlackBerry. I'd even go as far as to say that even companies like LG might exit the mobile space to save themselves long term cash losses. If you aren't positioned to make cash after the device sells (Apple, Samsung, ETC) then you probably won't make it for much longer.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Ya know, it's great to see optimism sticking around with some in the face of events this week. That's a sincere comment as I've been looking for the silver lining as well. But...

There isn't.

Try to take a few moments and back away from the Windows Phone fan and enthusiast mindset most of us have and, instead, consider everything we know now from a corporate perspective. And, that perspective includes all the politics and doublespeak that naturally goes along with it. If someone does that, they'll see what MS is leading up to.

I read someone asking why they just don't "pull the band-aid off" now, and quickly, if they intend to exit the market completely. They can't. That's not how it's done. Have you ever seen a business go from operating and hopeful to bankrupt and dead overnight? No. Sure there have been exceptions in extreme economic circumstances in the past (some within the last decade), but there is normally an "orderly" process of which there are road signs. That's what we're seeing now. This process keeps a little hope in the minds of the optimistic and a little doubt in the minds of the doomsayers. And it's all designed to do one thing, and one thing only: protect the share price. And, by extension, the investors.

All that said, in my opinion (of which I'm sure many will disagree. Feel free) over the next 48 months we'll see little things start to happen with Windows Phone (hardware/software). They aren't going to be good. But, no one thing is going to cause a meltdown. Sooner than we'd like, however, we'll reach a point at which everything needs to be added up and reconciled. When that's done, we'll be left with one less player in the mobile space.

This is it. Windows Phone has failed in the market place. All that's left for Microsoft to do is make an orderly retreat. That began this week.

I'll gladly come back to this thread in 2-4 years and admit that I was wrong. I hope I can.

I don't think I'll need to.

donkiluminate

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
To me the problem isn't what Microsoft intends to do with the platform or if they are going to make a comeback for the ages. It's that it's giving off the appearance they are getting out of the business. That's not going to help sales.

I can be madly in love with my wife but I start hanging out at the local Gay bar(is that ok to say these days?) and tell my friends and family I'm moving out in two years people are going to question my commitment to my wife.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Ya know, it's great to see optimism sticking around with some in the face of events this week. That's a sincere comment as I've been looking for the silver lining as well. But...

There isn't.

Try to take a few moments and back away from the Windows Phone fan and enthusiast mindset most of us have and, instead, consider everything we know now from a corporate perspective. And, that perspective includes all the politics and doublespeak that naturally goes along with it. If someone does that, they'll see what MS is leading up to.

I read someone asking why they just don't "pull the band-aid off" now, and quickly, if they intend to exit the market completely. They can't. That's not how it's done. Have you ever seen a business go from operating and hopeful to bankrupt and dead overnight? No. Sure there have been exceptions in extreme economic circumstances in the past (some within the last decade), but there is normally an "orderly" process of which there are road signs. That's what we're seeing now. This process keeps a little hope in the minds of the optimistic and a little doubt in the minds of the doomsayers. And it's all designed to do one thing, and one thing only: protect the share price. And, by extension, the investors.

All that said, in my opinion (of which I'm sure many will disagree. Feel free) over the next 48 months we'll see little things start to happen with Windows Phone (hardware/software). They aren't going to be good. But, no one thing is going to cause a meltdown. Sooner than we'd like, however, we'll reach a point at which everything needs to be added up and reconciled. When that's done, we'll be left with one less player in the mobile space.

This is it. Windows Phone has failed in the market place. All that's left for Microsoft to do is make an orderly retreat. That began this week.

I'll gladly come back to this thread in 2-4 years and admit that I was wrong. I hope I can.

I don't think I'll need to.

I'd agree if smartphones were Microsoft's only endeavor. They can pull the plug on WP at anytime and absorb the loss.

triageatdawn

May 31, 2015
Visit site
It's far from over, pal. Let's see if the new strategy works and avoid jumping to premature conclusions. It's not the end of the world for crying out loud.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
well I believe HTC is working with MS on new devices. Samsung said they would work with MS on new devices if they sorted out their patent stuff, which I think they will.

winboy

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
This is the age of cell phones so why would Microsoft give up on cell phones? Doesnt make sense to me. Why do some people think so negatively everytime any little win phone news is released or rumors that are obviously spread by trolls?

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The messaging and timing is simply horrible. And for what, to save a bit more money for their shareholders? This is burning platform all over again.

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I agree. I just bought a 640xl, its a very nice phone, but I am going to return it while I can. If Microsoft has no commitment to phone, why should I?

I'll be an owner of the new IPhone (ugh) as soon as the new model comes out.

Okay, I'll bite...you'll likely replace your phone either way in 2-3 years from now anyways. So why not keep it if you like the phone? It's not like the phone won't function.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my BlackBerry Passport

Wazzim

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Some people honestly have made jumping to conclusion a sport for themselves. Get a grip or a brain, either way: Relax.

They're just going to slow down the release of the amount of phones which is good. We don't need 13 Lumias a year, 3 or 4 is perfect.

bsbharath1987

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised at how wrong these supposed tech sites have read the press release. To me, MS is doing what is was supposed to do in the first place. It does not make any sense to flood the low-end market in the way they did. Ultimately it will confuse the consumers and the OEMs. Being a first party, they should show the way to the market similar to how they did with the PC (Surface line). We've seen how the other OEMs have upped their game after Surface was launched. This is the way it should be with phones as well.
There is now a momentum that is slowly building up with a number of OEMs signing up for Windows Mobile. That should be encouraged and MS should show the way with a couple of phones in each segment.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
This is the age of cell phones so why would Microsoft give up on cell phones? Doesnt make sense to me. Why do some people think so negatively everytime any little win phone news is released or rumors that are obviously spread by trolls?

Why they would give up on phones?

4 numbers come to mind:

3% - Global Smartphone market share
1% - U.S smartphone market share
7.8 Billion - write down after Nokia purchase
5 - Years that WP has been out

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

winboy

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

4 numbers come to mind:

That to me really doesnt mean much. I always root for the underdog and stay positive.

Chris Hammond2

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I hate doom and gloom. It was only a short time ago, whilst cooking roms on android, that news reached many of us on XDA, that Samdungs phone department was under the gun, performing way below it's other consumer electronics departments. They don't really have a confusing range of phones anymore. Budget, midrange and flagship. They went down the large screen route, with the Note 3, but even that didn't achieve projected units in the 'business' market.

I read in an earlier post, that 1+One would be a good choice of OEM for WP. I've played with a couple of their devices, I had a pre-order ticket, and they are extremely well made, but like WP, the mainstream buyer doesn't know who / what they are. Then you have the issue of fashion / one upmanship / bragging rights etc.... Can you really see a teenager* bragging to his mates that he has a WP?? Most phones, IMHO, are just fashion items. Samsung S6. Wireless charging.... Really? So has my 930. Why would the youngsters buy an S6 and not a 930?? Because one of the biggest music stars advertise it in the UK, compared to MSfts ads for the 640 which is basically an overhead shot of the phone and cortana working..... Doesn't really make the devices inspirational does it?? And, for me, therein lies the problem. They are not aspirational, no matter how the specs compare.

*apart from my 15 year old who loves his 635lte

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
It is being taken out of context. Committing to sabotaging WP in a two year time frame is suicidal. Software, on the desktop, is pretty much dead, with everyone using the same handful of programs. Gaming, in traditional, console form, is not as profitable as it used to be, particularly with the rise of open source and smartphone gaming. Microsoft has to make a go of it at mobile if it is to have any future as a company. I am keeping my 635 until it won't turn on anymore. I'll see what Microsoft is doing then before I make any rash decisions.

I don't care what he says. What else would Microsoft do if it does not succeed in mobile? How profitable are licenses for Office outside of the enterprise, for home use, when there are open source solutions plus Microsoft itself has Office Web Apps, which I often prefer to use when I'm online. I never paid for Office outright, and I probably never will. Only way you'll get me onto Office is 1 TB of OneDrive, so I can upload my collection; it happens to come with 365, but I would never pay for it without that extra storage.

Unless Microsoft wants to turn into IBM, which is nothing but consulting, research, etc they need to figure out how to make money off of mobile. If not mobile they need to find a way to make the desktop interesting again. So far all I've seen from Microsoft since I moved to WP is give this way, give that away, discount here, two for one there, bundle a service with hardware, and so on and so forth. Nothing that suggests that they're making any money off of WP. I don't see anyone else doing that; maybe Google with the Chromebook throwing in free Google Drive but that is about it. I'll admit that I came to WP for the freebies because it was worth the time and trouble, and I got a better phone than the Android that I had for less money, but things have to change at some point. Even Bing Rewards, I use Bing Rewards but it seems like a backhanded way to get us to use Bing. Google isn't paying anyone to use their search.

The only thing that is being said it that Microsoft will do the same for 2 years as they've been doing, in a smarter, more efficient way. I've seen nothing to suggest they're throwing the baby out with the bath water. In two years they'll probably change course; they have probably already thought of what they can try in the future if the current strategy does not work.

Last edited:

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

4 numbers come to mind:

Apple had only computers at 3% market share for many years and only now do their computers make up 5 or maybe 6% of the market. They survived by have a premium product, loyal customers, and eventually by adding more products that sold higher numbers.

Running a business is complicated and can't be understood entirely, by simply listing those numbers. Having unique products like the Surface or Apple computer can be a good strategy. It seems like Microsoft is now looking to make 6 "reference" phones each year and like the Surface, with no intent to take over the marketplace.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Regarding the "terrible message". Yes, Microsoft has always been bad at communicating. They have survived despite communication blunders. No wonder the doomsday and troll people are just spinning with glee. It's so easy to misrepresent what Microsoft carelessly said. They need to fire the marketing and public relations people.

tlefeuvre

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
You are wrong. Are you reading the web? I follow 40 of the biggest tech sites and they all say it is dead or nearly dead. With these messages Microsoft has 0 chance. They must give developers, phone buyers and OEMs more than an unsure future after two years. OEMs always made ****ty Windows phones and that won't change so what you are saying is not true. OEMs won't keep it alive. They can easily afford to deny Windows mobile.

Most of tech sites as you call them are committed to iPhone or Android. I think (and hope) you and the 40 sites you follow are just ... wrong. As a matter of fact, nobody can predict what will be the future of windows phone, may it be hardware or software as it is deeply linked to Windows 10 and the Microsoft vision of the future : One Operating System to Rule them All. I love this vision and then I hope Microsoft will succeed in its way...

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I'll bite...you'll likely replace your phone either way in 2-3 years from now anyways. So why not keep it if you like the phone? It's not like the phone won't function.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my BlackBerry Passport

I have to agree, dumping the phone now made no sense, if that was the sole reason. Even if they stopped OS support, today, the phone/OS would still function properly.

My BlackBerry Playbook still works like the day I bought it... One could argue that it was never supported. :D

If people just realized you need to buy technological devices based on what they can do TODAY, you'd be alot better off. Buying a WP today still guarantees 2 years of support. You'll likely upgrade before you lost support assuming MS ditched the platform, which I'd put money on them not doing.

Jeddic

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
The reason for doing it now is to get the losses in the quarter so the big gains next quarter can offset. It's a common technique to account for all the negatives at once so you can move on, in the shareholder's eyes.

Microsoft is really bad at messaging, and everyone who writes on the internet loves to hate them and blow anything out of proportion, so of course this is what happens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss