07-16-2015 01:19 AM
141 123 ...
tools
    WOW what a terrible message! Who the **** will make apps when they know Windows mobile will be dead in two years? Great message Microsoft. You are ******* dumb!!!!! And the timing. All these layoffs right before the release of Windows 10 and flagships. Those guys ay Microsoft have their brains in their ***! Do they wanna die badly??? Windows is doomed with every single tech site out there claiming windows mobile is dead. Long term this will mean windows as a whole will die. Mobile is essential. Which OEM will makes windows mobiles???? So far I can name almost NONE. Who made any device with the Microsoft health kit? NOBODY. Microsoft is acting in ways that are beyond stupidity. Giving such bad messages and still expecting Windows mobile 10 to to hit off? Are they smoking mushrooms? Who will make apps when the future is said to be unsure after 2 years???? I repeat: NOBODY. Nadella is the biggest fail ever with no patience.

Two years are over in a heart beat and nothing will have changed. Thus Windows mobile is dead.
    07-08-2015 11:14 PM
    I agree. I just bought a 640xl, its a very nice phone, but I am going to return it while I can. If Microsoft has no commitment to phone, why should I?

I'll be an owner of the new IPhone (ugh) as soon as the new model comes out.
    iamakii and k72 like this.
    07-08-2015 11:35 PM
    I agree. I just bought a 640xl, its a very nice phone, but I am going to return it while I can. If Microsoft has no commitment to phone, why should I?

I'll be an owner of the new IPhone (ugh) as soon as the new model comes out.
    I have no idea where to go. I hate Apple and Google.
    07-08-2015 11:43 PM
    You guys are confused, Windows phone will not die in 2 years, they said they are committed to produce windows phones for atleast two years, if even after 2 years WP sales doesn't picks up then they may reconsider their decision.
    Currently MS is looking to make space for other makers to release WPs, which is healthy development. Windows 10 Universal app model is meaningless without phones, so don't worry WP will not be dead.
    07-08-2015 11:50 PM
    http://arstechnica.com/information-t...top-obscurity/

From one of the best tech sites out there. Perfectly describes what I think lol.
    azcruz, sleeve22 and ajj3085 like this.
    07-09-2015 12:05 AM
    You guys are confused, Windows phone will not die in 2 years, they said they are committed to produce windows phones for atleast two years, if even after 2 years WP sales doesn't picks up then they may reconsider their decision.
    Currently MS is looking to make space for other makers to release WPs, which is healthy development. Windows 10 Universal app model is meaningless without phones, so don't worry WP will not be dead.
    Don't bother talking reason and facts with belligerent rangers.
    07-09-2015 12:06 AM
    You are wrong. Are you reading the web? I follow 40 of the biggest tech sites and they all say it is dead or nearly dead. With these messages Microsoft has 0 chance. They must give developers, phone buyers and OEMs more than an unsure future after two years. OEMs always made ****ty Windows phones and that won't change so what you are saying is not true. OEMs won't keep it alive. They can easily afford to deny Windows mobile.
    07-09-2015 12:11 AM
    Don't bother talking reason and facts with belligerent rangers.
    Oh tell me, how do you see this developing?
    07-09-2015 12:20 AM
    Why would you change to other phone right now? Get a WP, use it for 2 years and then change, if needed. Actually 2 years is more time than most of people use their new phone, so no need to panic now, its not like you are going to use the phone you buy now for next 5-10 years.

I just hope m$ makes good enough phone that will last a few years, so I can still use it and then switch to iphone/android when nothing else will be an option.
    07-09-2015 12:26 AM
    Why would you change to other phone right now? Get a WP, use it for 2 years and then change, if needed. Actually 2 years is more time than most of people use their new phone, so no need to panic now, its not like you are going to use the phone you buy now for next 5-10 years.

I just hope m$ makes good enough phone that will last a few years, so I can still use it and then switch to iphone/android when nothing else will be an option.
    I'm not saying I'm switching. That other guy said that.
    07-09-2015 12:32 AM
    You are wrong. Are you reading the web? I follow 40 of the biggest tech sites and they all say it is dead or nearly dead.
    Have you read Windows Central post? if not read it Microsoft's restructuring of their phone business was necessary, obvious, and good for Lumia | Windows Central
    jlangner, danz14, ajj3085 and 2 others like this.
    07-09-2015 12:37 AM
    It doesn't matter what 1 windows phone fan site says. The other media out there writes the destiny of Windows mobile.

I really hope it does play out buy I'm extremely septic now.
    920Walker and FinancialP like this.
    07-09-2015 12:44 AM
    Oh tell me, how do you see this developing?
    Well... like the "tech" sites you refer to... I have no idea.

From actual statements and facts, not speculation from sites that have continuously wrote doom and gloom about WP since its inception, my guess would be only 2 phones from each segment over the next year (low, mid and high end)... then, my hope, is that its whittled down to 1 from each segment or even less. I kind of like Hachman's (yeah he's a hack, but..) idea of copying Apple, produce 1 high-end device a year and continue to sell older devices at a discount.

The Windows Mobile OS isn't going anywhere any time soon.
    07-09-2015 12:59 AM
    I'd prefer to see something like Surface phone to be developed with 3 models, just like surface tablet is.

And let other OEMs deal with other models, if they want.

But I also understand why it is important to offer cheap models on a rising markets, like india, to hook people on WP so maybe this is why m$ is giving it 2 years and then re-focus based on the global market %. m$ needs to somehow get people start using WP and this will not be done via only a premium range of phones.
    EMINENT 1 likes this.
    07-09-2015 01:02 AM
    I have no idea where to go. I hate Apple and Google.
    Just embrace either of them. At least they are still committed to their products. I'm looking forward to iPhone 6s as I'm already an existing Android user. Windows Phone can go eat dust.
    theefman, nmco9 and ven07 like this.
    07-09-2015 01:30 AM
    That's the catch! What will happen after 2 years?? If Satya give the nod to kill Windows Phone? Do you really believe that other OEM makers will be interested in producing Windows Phones? Those small brands perhaps. Samsung, HTC, Sony, LG.... They will rather spend their resources and cost on Android.

We don't even know if Universal app model will do well. Yes, it looks wonderful on papers that 1 OS rules them all. But do devs really care?? No. Who cares if the platform is running on every platform when revenues are not coming in. Desktop users - use browsers almost for everything. Surface users - wait... how many surface users we have worldwide as compared to iPad / Android tablets? Xbox users - game titles are more attractive to them than apps on the store. Windows Phone users - 2.5%??

Microsoft will not continue to waste resources on WP. If the sales of the next flagship (940 XL) is not doing well, I bet by mid next year Satya will give the nod to kill WP.
    ven07 likes this.
    07-09-2015 01:37 AM
    I think Paul makes more sense then the biased view from Windows Central.

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/wind...e-dramatically
    Kram Sacul, 920Walker and ven07 like this.
    07-09-2015 01:39 AM
    Thats the beauty of uni apps, you dont have to spend any extra resources on WP if it runs well on Windows. So devs make one app for "windows 10" which can run everywhere else, windows phone 10 or windows tablet 10 and most likely also on xbox I presume?

Now the only problem is to get devs to start making windows apps instead of going online, making "cloud apps" which might be the next big thing in IT...yet...still...m$ have announced an easy way of porting online apps into W10 apps.
    07-09-2015 01:48 AM
    2 years is still long way to go, we can't jump into conclusion that WP will die. Mobiles are very important area for every company, focus has shifted from Desktop to phone, it will be foolish to retire from mobile business.
    mandong likes this.
    07-09-2015 02:25 AM
    There is one key thing here and that is timing, it is either a stroke of genius or the case of impatience.

Time will tell.
    ML10 and sleeve22 like this.
    07-09-2015 04:53 AM
    Ok. stop ranting, start thinking.

We all know that technology sites will stick knives into whatever pig looks like it'll gain readers. Nothing smells like bacon more than declaring something is dead.

The actual situation is really simple, maybe too simple for people to really take in.

Microsoft is cutting back on the number of handsets it'll produce per year/two year cycle. There's going to be a "Value" handset, a "business" handset, and a "Flagship" handset. Having normal and XL versions of these will bring the number to 6. This will curtail the bewildering array of Lumias currently in the range. It'll also allow other manufacturers room to breathe in brining their handsets to market.

The job losses are mostly in Finland and are reactive to the smaller range of handsets.

This is a good thing. Tight, more focussed, better handsets.
    07-09-2015 05:07 AM
    There is one key thing here and that is timing, it is either a stroke of genius or the case of impatience.

Time will tell.
    How on earth can this be genius? It is fatal!
    Unless Microsoft secretly knows that Samsung and HTC or Sony are going to make top notch windows 10 phones that don't suck compared to their Android counterparts. Or unless Microsoft does a big event very soon to announce a flagship that blows the whole world away, but I doubt that very much. It will have cute features like Hello and Continuum but the majority won't care. And even then, the timing could have been better and well explained. They should look at Apple how they communicate and do marketing.
    In every other situation it is anything but genius and it damages the trust in the platform.
    Last edited by crise; 07-09-2015 at 06:27 AM.
    etad putta, 920Walker and chmun77 like this.
    07-09-2015 05:12 AM
    Windows phone (mobile) isn't dead. It's not dying either. The app-gap is closing more and more everyday and the OS is getting known and way more mature over the world.

They'll just stop BUILDING Microsoft Phones.

Remind me : Did Microsoft build any phone before they bought Nokia? Nope.
    Did Windows Phone die there ? Nope.

So no, WP isn't dead at all. Big things are coming. And even if I was an iOs/Droid fan, I'll stick with my words. The annoncements with W10 (PC or Mobile) are charming. And people are getting interrested about it. The future is actually looking good from here.
    Susmit257, EMINENT 1, M L and 2 others like this.
    07-09-2015 05:14 AM
    They'll just stop BUILDING Microsoft Phones.
    This bit isn't true. Microsoft will continue making handsets, just a smaller range.
    a5cent likes this.
    07-09-2015 05:16 AM
    I understood they were gonna make less of them (for the next two years) THEN stop.

Well that's even better, actually :-)
    Jeddic likes this.
    07-09-2015 05:20 AM
141 123 ...