Is Windows 10 Mobile stable enough for daily driver phones?

tdavi82

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
When Windows 10 Mobile Tech Preview came out, people were cautioned to not install the OS on their main and daily phone. That was months ago and newer builds addressed stability issues. Is it close enough to being finished to use?

I have an ATT Lumia 1520 as my daily phone and a slightly damaged Lumia 920 (spare). I tried Windows 10 Mobile on the 920, but then it would not boot after a TP update. I used the recovery tool for the 920 and got it back to 8.1.

Windows 10 mobile is just a few months away and my question is "Is Windows 10 TP stable enough to use on my main phone?" I also have a MS Band. Does the band sync with W10 Mobile?

Is anyone using the Lumia 1520 with W10 TP and can say it works well for daily use?

SagarSadbhaiya

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
I've been using 10149 on L830 which is also my daily driver!! apart for some bugs i think it is the most stable build till date.. it's still developing so i don't have any issues using it!! anyways it depends on what is your criteria of stable.. :)

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I downloaded the latest on my ICON yesterday. I downloaded it as an update to the 8.1 so it is using the settings and data that was used in the 8.1 OS. So far, it's working OK. The ICON is my daily driver but I know I can go back anytime I need to do so that gives me a bit more patience to see how this one works.

Not the 1520 so not sure how it would work there.

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I downloaded the latest on my ICON yesterday. I downloaded it as an update to the 8.1 so it is using the settings and data that was used in the 8.1 OS. So far, it's working OK. The ICON is my daily driver but I know I can go back anytime I need to do so that gives me a bit more patience to see how this one works.

Not the 1520 so not sure how it would work there.

Same here on my icon. 8.1 > 149 > 166. No hard resets at all. Data mms txt all have worked fine for me. Let the phone sit for around an hour after upgrading without fooling with it as apps are still downloading, mine sat overnight both upgrades. Battery is not hit as hard in build 166. Not On this end anyway. That was a much needed fix lol.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I have it on my L1520, the usual fridge upgrade, hard reset, set up from scratch. Nothing that I'd consider a show-stopper yet. I used workaround to disable glance screen and had to set up individual ringtones for my important contacts as I could not set the global one and without it there were no notifications.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I have it on my L1520, the usual fridge upgrade, hard reset, set up from scratch. Nothing that I'd consider a show-stopper yet. I used workaround to disable glance screen and had to set up individual ringtones for my important contacts as I could not set the global one and without it there were no notifications.

Thanks - is the keyboard full size or are there still spaces in the sides?

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
There are 3 sizes. Small, middle, big, I have it in German, so the names might be different. This is the big one

2NJ7Skk.png

Kavindu Thrimanne

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
About the Key board size, you have 3 choices, Large, Medium and Small. I use large is adequate.

It took sometime to download and finish installing and was a bit laggy at the start, but after a while the OS was smooth (I upgraded from 8.1). Animations are faster, performance is good and I can recommend this for daily driver. I use a 1520 which is my daily driver. Almost all the apps work perfectly but do crash sometimes but it is tolerable to me.

Problems I currently face are,
1) Obviously apps crash and sometimes take some time to load
2) Music app (Groove) is good but again have a hard time listening to a playlist because the app crashes sometimes. Also some of my songs cannot be played sometime ( A red exclamation mark appears in front of the title . And some songs are listed twice.
3) I couldnt find default backgrounds for the start screen. I had the choice to choose from my photos but I had to scroll through all my photos. There's no way to select an album.
4) Some games doesn't work even after reinstalling. ( Shadow Fight 2 )
5) I do miss Hey Cortana.
6) The store is good but sometimes it doesn't show the progress bar of an installation.
7) Personally I feel like the font sizes are a bit smaller
8) In the Task switcher (or whatever it is), it's hard to close up because the X is smaller. Dragging an app down is taking too much effort.
9) In Microsoft edge, when I open a new tab while in InPrivate mode, the new doesn't open in InPrivate mode.

These are the problems I placed. Since it's a preview it's perfectly natural. If you can tolerate these, go for it.
This build is much more stable (on the 1520).

PS - That was not complaining, just letting people know what they can face when exploring the OS.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20150711_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20150711_0001.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 5
  • wp_ss_20150711_0002.jpg
    wp_ss_20150711_0002.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 5
  • wp_ss_20150711_0003.jpg
    wp_ss_20150711_0003.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 5
  • wp_ss_20150711_0004.jpg
    wp_ss_20150711_0004.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 6
  • wp_ss_20150711_0005.jpg
    wp_ss_20150711_0005.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 5
  • wp_ss_20150711_0006.jpg
    wp_ss_20150711_0006.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
About the Key board size, you have 3 choices, Large, Medium and Small. I use large is adequate.

It took sometime to download and finish installing and was a bit laggy at the start, but after a while the OS was smooth (I upgraded from 8.1). Animations are faster, performance is good and I can recommend this for daily driver. I use a 1520 which is my daily driver. Almost all the apps work perfectly but do crash sometimes but it is tolerable to me.

Problems I currently face are,
1) Obviously apps crash and sometimes take some time to load
2) Music app (Groove) is good but again have a hard time listening to a playlist because the app crashes sometimes. Also some of my songs cannot be played sometime ( A red exclamation mark appears in front of the title . And some songs are listed twice.
3) I couldnt find default backgrounds for the start screen. I had the choice to choose from my photos but I had to scroll through all my photos. There's no way to select an album.
4) Some games doesn't work even after reinstalling. ( Shadow Fight 2 )
5) I do miss Hey Cortana.
6) The store is good but sometimes it doesn't show the progress bar of an installation.
7) Personally I feel like the font sizes are a bit smaller
8) In the Task switcher (or whatever it is), it's hard to close up because the X is smaller. Dragging an app down is taking too much effort.
9) In Microsoft edge, when I open a new tab while in InPrivate mode, the new doesn't open in InPrivate mode.

These are the problems I placed. Since it's a preview it's perfectly natural. If you can tolerate these, go for it.
This build is much more stable (on the 1520).

PS - That was not complaining, just letting people know what they can face when exploring the OS.
Thanks this is great. I run everything from my 1520 (no PC) so it seems like I will have to wait for next build...darn BC I am anxious!

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
L1520 has a tendency to overheat during the upgrade, so once you decide to do it I recommend to put it in a fridge in a transparent plastic bag so you can see the progress. It really helps. I did an upgrade twice without, twice it failed. Twice in the fridge and twice a success.

tdavi82

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I installed the w10 update. I got the start screen "loading" issue. I turned on airplane mode and the start screen came back. So far I am enjoying the upgrade. My Microsoft Health app isn't working. Not sure yet if my band syncs.

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes. 10166 is fit to be a daily driver. Some minor bugs here and there but mostly O.K. for daily use. I have been trying out every build and then rolling back to 8.1. But after 10149, things are really good. So far I have not rolled back after 10149.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo