07-16-2015 02:09 PM
28 12
tools
    Decided to try out the mobile preview build finally, seeing how well the desktop builds have come along. Long story short - It is not yet ready for daily driver status yet. I did like a good bit of what I saw, bit there were too many minor inconveniences, reverted back to 8.1 by the end of the day.

First did an in-place upgrade from 8.1, but after the install I got hit with the endless start screen loading bug (with action center and search working perfectly). Then did a hard reset and set it to restore from backup, same error repeated. Got to know that this happens due to the apps being installed again. Managed to somehow navigate to store and canceled all the non-essential downloads. Start screen then loaded without a fault.

The Good -
    OS as a whole is fairly stable
    Edge is fricking awesome, no comparision with IE. Renders pages really fast
    Animations seem much smoother than 8.1, with hardly any loading and resuming screens
    Groove is also really fluid. Could do with improvements, but still a great improvement over Xbox music
    I really liked the new keyboard.
    Universal Apps on the whole seem promising. Office especially is a huge improvement

The Bad
    SD card is not reliable - A dealbreaker. Firstly, when apps are moved to SD card through storage sense, most of it is shifted to other storage, with only small file sizes like 128KB showing up in the apps section. Was quite confusing at first. Further, after reboots, the SD card is not detected, rendering all the apps installed on the card useless. Photos and Groove also don't detect media, though I am still able to access and open stuff from the SD card through File Explorer
    Store looks a bit cleaner, bit the older version is a lot more functional. Wasn't able to install several apps like Here Maps, Here Drive+, etc
    Unable to install language packs

The Ugly -
    The People App - Yeesh..... Though I like the new Live Tile, the app itself is a mess, looks quite ugly. 8.1 version was a lot cleaner

All in all, though I liked the OS more than I thought I would, I will still wait for another 2-3 builds before installing the preview again on my primary phone
    07-15-2015 11:51 PM
    After 48 hours with a clean install of 10166, I went back to 8.1 last night. Here's why:
    1. Even after I set it to install apps on the internal memory I still kept getting SD card errors. The SD card wouldn't show up in the storage section, I couldn't change where apps are installed because it didn't see the SD card, but yet I had music on the SD card that would play. I thought maybe my card went bad, but it worked great on 8.1 before and it's working great now that my phone is on 8.1 again. It was just 10 that was the issue.
    2. The bluetooth integration with Sync on my F-150 was awful. Apparently there are some known issues with Cortana over Bluetooth and I would have to agree. Things that worked before (in 8.1), such as "Play album 'The Medicine'" which would (crazily enough) play the album but in Windows 10 mobile it just does a search. I use that feature a lot.
    3. I couldn't set up my office email on it. Every time it would direct me to my company's ADFS page, I'd get an error in the browser and so I could never set up the account. This one was a pretty big deal.

I was hoping it would be stable enough for me to use on my daily driver, but for me it's just not there yet. I do like what I see, though, esp. in the music app. If it ships relatively bug free, I think I'll really like it.
    That's a pity :(

I also had messages about the SD card being broken etc. For once I said 'Yes' to the prompt that asks if I'd like it scanned and fixed. After a few minutes the apps on the card came back to life, except for the Facebook app. I tried to uninstall it from the phone, and ended up with it showing on the All Apps menu with a status of 'Error'. Looking in the Store, it showed up in the Queue with a status of 'Restoring' and after a while, the app was restored on the phone.
    The message about possible errors with the SD card seem to me to be misleading. The SD card I suspect is 100% fine, and the data is all intact. For some reason there's a problem between apps on the card, and the new Store. Perhaps when the phone starts up there's a process that checks your installed apps against what's against your Store account, and this is buggy or takes time to synch up.
    07-16-2015 03:21 AM
    The message about possible errors with the SD card seem to me to be misleading. The SD card I suspect is 100% fine, and the data is all intact. For some reason there's a problem between apps on the card, and the new Store. Perhaps when the phone starts up there's a process that checks your installed apps against what's against your Store account, and this is buggy or takes time to synch up.
    The messages definitely are misleading since it could play my music on the SD card. I did let it scan it once, but I saw no indication that it was actually scanning, so I think I restarted to see if it would recognize it. Maybe if I'd been patient...

Of course, that wasn't the only deal breaker for me. Cortana over BT is important to me as was getting my work email on the phone.

For a preview release, it wasn't too bad, though. Just not quite where I wanted it to be.
    07-16-2015 02:09 PM
28 12