Here drive for windows 10 mobile?

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
The new navigation map is a good start, but after trying to use on 3 recent trips it just went bad each time. Twice it froze up about three miles from my home just started trip and the third time about one hour into the trip it wasn't able to tell me if I should go left or right, but the only way was left or straight. I don't believe it could find it's way out of a bag. Back to co pilot & here maps should have known better.

I have the same problem with the maps app freezing after a few minutes of voice navigation and sent a feedback request about it. I hope they fix that one soon, then I personally don't need HERE Drive anymore.

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem with the maps app freezing after a few minutes of voice navigation and sent a feedback request about it. I hope they fix that one soon, then I personally don't need HERE Drive anymore.

Yay, after last night's update, the maps app no longer freezes during navigation for me. So long HERE Drive, and thanks for all the fish.

Now that Nokia only ccares for their android and iOS versions anymore, they can keep their outdated HERE suite for Windows phone.

I just hope, Microsoft keeps further developing what they got now, as I already find it better than HERE Drive.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Yay, after last night's update, the maps app no longer freezes during navigation for me. So long HERE Drive, and thanks for all the fish.

Now that Nokia only ccares for their android and iOS versions anymore, they can keep their outdated HERE suite for Windows phone.

I just hope, Microsoft keeps further developing what they got now, as I already find it better than HERE Drive.

Can you still download the maps? If it's basically here re-branded and improved by MS then it wouldn't make sense to offer both apps. Sounds nice though, can't wait to try it.

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Can you still download the maps? If it's basically here re-branded and improved by MS then it wouldn't make sense to offer both apps. Sounds nice though, can't wait to try it.

Yes, you can download the maps still in the phone settings (so they are available offline system-wide for all apps), just like you could already from 8.0 onwards. It's basically just rebranded as you said. There was even a blog post by the MS maps team a few months ago, where they said they wanted to retain all the familiar features from HERE Drive.

As for the freezing issue, since the last maps app update yesterday, it doesn't freeze during navigation anymore for me.

Edit: here is the blog post by MS: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...ate-the-world-with-windows-10-maps-for-phone/

Edit2: what the MS maps app also does (unlike HERE Drive) is offering you driving routes based on current traffic conditions. This is one thing HERE had already for their Symbian app, but never integrated into the Windows Phone version.

Vikont

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
Windows 10 Maps is nice, and avoid traffic option is very important. One useful feature that is still missing (or I cannot find it) that was in HERE Drive is Find My Car.

In other development, HERE is not Nokia anymore, so it's not clear how much the German car consortium will invest in app development for any mobile platform. It may be a good thing that MS licensed the technology and now can run with it themselves.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I stumbled across a way to get the HERE apps back on Windows 10 mobile today. I just installed a 'Maps' app in the store, (https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...e%2Fapps%2Fmaps%2F9wzdncrfj224&token=dqaleH6X) typed in an address, clicked on get directions and then 'Open with: HERE Maps'. This launches HERE maps and the HERE suite ends up showing up in the app list.

So it seems that the HERE suite is still there and working perfectly fine but Microsoft is just hiding them. I don't know why though because I can't even get location to work in Windows Maps.

JSkondro

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
As far as i know,Microsoft and Nokia integrated Here Drive and Here Maps into one app,as all of us probably know,the "Maps" app.I can't use it properly,because im always losing signal on it,but the app is very nice,fluid and nicely done.

Graeme10

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
I also wish that Windows had not removed there very acceptable SAT NAV app, Here Drive. It worked very well (still does on my wife's older phone upgraded to Windows 10). It does not lock up or fail to find the GPS, as CoPilot does (CoPilot admits tit is not compatible with Windows 10, even though the Windows store is still recommending it!
The map app that comes with Windows 10 is very slow, and I found it dangerous when navigating around a complicated roundabout system just north of Oxford.
I am thinking of moving to Android devices next!!!

Chippy757

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
The main problem with using Maps for navigation is that you cannot use it as intended unless you have destination set, you can't just drive in navigation mode... That circle does help either, just plain wrong. Really not sure what they playing at.

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Here's my problem with Microsoft Maps for navigation. Here are two screenshots. The first is from Microsoft Maps:

2016-06-06.png

The second is from Google maps:

2016-06-06 (1).png

Both show the main streets (Montreal Rd. and Blair Rd.) but only the Google map shows the streets of the campus where I work. If I navigate from work, Waze will guide me out to Montreal Rd. or to Blair Rd, depending on traffic. Microsoft Maps won't - no matter where I am on campus, it always sees me on Montreal Rd.

I have found this is true of other areas as well: Microsoft Maps often does not show private roads and that leads to nav errors. I don't know about HERE because I never used it (being relatively new to Windows phones) but, if it doesn't show private roads, it won't be useful to me.

I wish Waze would update their Windows Phone app - I use the old one but it has problems of its own. At least it navigates well.

Chippy757

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Waze works pretty decent in UK and will do me until better option is out there. Problem is it relies on data which is not good if you are traveling...

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Here's my problem with Microsoft Maps for navigation. Here are two screenshots. The first is from Microsoft Maps:

View attachment 127231

The second is from Google maps:

View attachment 127232

Both show the main streets (Montreal Rd. and Blair Rd.) but only the Google map shows the streets of the campus where I work. If I navigate from work, Waze will guide me out to Montreal Rd. or to Blair Rd, depending on traffic. Microsoft Maps won't - no matter where I am on campus, it always sees me on Montreal Rd.

I have found this is true of other areas as well: Microsoft Maps often does not show private roads and that leads to nav errors. I don't know about HERE because I never used it (being relatively new to Windows phones) but, if it doesn't show private roads, it won't be useful to me.

I wish Waze would update their Windows Phone app - I use the old one but it has problems of its own. At least it navigates well.

the point where some roads aren't visible in Here/MS maps is plainly because editors haven't placed it in the database yet.
I used to edit Here maps for Kenya, made over 18600 edits with 300km of roads added and 3600 places added. That was over 2 months while staying up late at night. If in your region, you know of any mappers for Here maps database, you could ask them to add the roads. Or you could join the mapping team if you've had any prior experience with mapping and you're interested

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077