NFC Payments on Windows 10 Mobile

majorfriend

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
There had been talk of Windows 10 Mobile including NFC payments. This was mentioned at BUILD as well as seen in Microsoft documents. But it seems like Windows 10 is almost feature locked. I would think by this point we would be seeing the feature included or at least start to see remnants of this feature to be activated in later builds. Does anyone have additional information/thought on this?

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
It's been a part of W8 as well as W10. The whole thing is a bit of a mystery to me. I've never been in a situation where Tap To Pay felt necessary, or Tap To Share contacts. All the feature does is cause certain phone models, like my 930, to heat up so much you could fry an egg on them, which is detrimental to the hardware's longevity. I'm more irritated that the feature is there than I would be if they dropped it, because every time I update or reinstall WP I have to remember to go into the settings again and turn that nonsense off.

majorfriend

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
No, what I'm talking about is something similar to Apple Pay.

Native support of payments at POS via NFC.

I'm a proponent of this b/c once this and ID cards go digital I will not have a need to carry my wallet around anymore. Less things to carry the better. Eventually it would also be nice if NFC or another technology could be used to start your car. It's already possible to unlock your front doors with your phone. Really we should get to the point where the only thing you need when going out is your phone. The technology is there, just waiting for the world to catch up.

mkenyon2

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
It's been a part of W8 as well as W10. The whole thing is a bit of a mystery to me. I've never been in a situation where Tap To Pay felt necessary, or Tap To Share contacts. All the feature does is cause certain phone models, like my 930, to heat up so much you could fry an egg on them, which is detrimental to the hardware's longevity. I'm more irritated that the feature is there than I would be if they dropped it, because every time I update or reinstall WP I have to remember to go into the settings again and turn that nonsense off.

My wife and I both have Lumias. She's had the 820 and now 830, I the 920 and now 950. We have used Tap to Share several times. I don't notice that it causes any heat up issues.

I also use the NFC with a Bluetooth audio adapter for my home stereo. Just tap the phone to it, and hear my music through my stereo. My Sis-In-Law has a 1520, and her husband an HTC One M8, and we've shared with them via NFC. Do I use it every day? No, but when I do I'm glad to have it.

ausidog

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I've always left NFC turned on with all of my phones, and I've never had any battery issues from it. For a while I used the Softcard Tap-To-Pay system with my L1520. I really liked it and I was pissed with Google bought and killed the service.

I'm hoping that there are a lot of things baked into W10M that MS just needs to turn on with an app or on the backend, but I'm becoming less hopeful as the weeks go by. Mobile Payments are one, and Windows text messaging is another. I'm not talking about the Cortana messaging, I'm talking about the Windows 10 messaging app syncing text messages and allowing you to send them and receive them. Some people reported that MS had accidentally turned on the text messaging feature for a little while, but I haven't heard anything since.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte