If Win10 Mobile now only receives polish and bug fixes, will you upgrade from 8.1 when 10 is out?

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure.. I am using WM 10 on 1320 but I keep going back to my WP 8.1 1020..Music, Mail, Calendar, People and contacts and so many things are much better for navigation and look wise on WP 8.1...I specially didn't like the music app cause I am not a Playlist person, I like to go from one song to other song or album or artist and it's really very difficult to press that hamburger menu on top and navigate through it.. It was much easy to just swipe through all those things on WP 8.1..Not liking the new store either, specially with dark theme.. I think I will keep my primary 1020 on WP 8. 1 for as long as I can.. May sell off this 1320 and buy something else on some other OS.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android
old music app ui was 10x better. new ui and name blow.

HXD

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Works perfectly for as far as I can tell. Some responsiveness-quirks, but fine all-things-considered. The swipe to get to the playlist is much appreciated.

Could it possibly be... that the experience is (too) variable?

I don't want any new features more than the offered with the latest build. But at least they should work flawlessly. I know we have to wait for the final version...And since you think the music is "great" you obviously didn't use it that much. The app looks great (apart from the hamburger menus which are taking over the OS) and is surely better looking than the previous Xbox music app. But what can we do when the replay doesn't even work?

sguy156

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I will update from 8.1 once its stable enough for daily use. Used it on my 1520 , still has issues which need to fixed ...

akshaypn

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't want any new features more than the offered with the latest build. But at least they should work flawlessly. I know we have to wait for the final version...And since you think the music is "great" you obviously didn't use it that much. The app looks great (apart from the hamburger menus which are taking over the OS) and is surely better looking than the previous Xbox music app. But what can we do when the replay doesn't even work?

Yeah, replay button is broken for me too.. I am forced to use that slow Mix Radio.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Replay 1 works for me. Not saying it wont be broken for other people. Just that my experience has been better.

Excuse me, I'm just getting back from a weeklong trip. Music was half 8.0's Music Hub and the other half 10's Music Preview. I think I've used it more than enough to have an opinion.

Hey, 10 installs itself vary from almost perfect to unusable so I'm sure Music is the same, unfortunately.

Gunbust3r

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Nope, runs like @ss on my 925, the dialer is ugly and a step backwards IMHO, and the email functionality is terrible. Give me my simple, and fast 8.1 any day.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well it is quite too early to tell, given Phone is more less now completely based off the desktop o/s. It doesn't make sense to add new features without the man power or coding hours to dog food them. I imagine after July 29 we should start seeing more and more additions to current line up of phones. So right now what we really can do is give feedback on the builds and wait to see how they utilize said feedback.

Nope, runs like @ss on my 925, the dialer is ugly and a step backwards IMHO, and the email functionality is terrible. Give me my simple, and fast 8.1 any day.

People need to realise UI polish comes afterwards when an O/S is nearing completion (towards an RTM ship date), not before and definetly not mid cycle. The dialer is anything but a step backwards; if anything it is a major step forward - we finally have smart dialing!

You have no idea how aggravating it can be for a novice user to adjust from smart dialing as pretty much all phones have it (even windows mobile 6.x).

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone! I wanted to get a discussion started about Windows 10 Mobile in light of Dan Rubino's statement in his Build 10166 review:
"at this stage Windows 10 Mobile is mostly feature locked"

This got quite a bit of attention in the comments, but I think it would be helpful for the community to have a place to put forth logical arguments and discussions about our opinions on this. So here is the question:

If Windows 10 Mobile only receives bug fixes and polish from now until the general release, will you upgrade from 8.1 at the time of release?
For now, let's exclude discussion of buying new flagship lumias (and therefore, continuum for phones)

My humble opinion follows, but you don't need to read it as it is just a personal response to the question:

I think it is highly beneficial to look back to the 8->8.1 upgrade to examine why anyone would update a phone in the first place. For me, and I assume, many others, the 8.1 update was an obvious choice; there were so many new features and improvements that even though I had a few very minor pet peeves, features like Cortana, Action Center, and tile transparency to vastly outweighed my concerns, leading me to run the DP as soon as I could. I mean, this update was so badly wanted by the VZW WP community that there was discussion of getting the FCC involved (or even pursuing a class action lawsuit!) to pressure Big Red into pushing out the update. So why were people so keen on getting the 8.1 update? Something tells me there was more to it than eye candy; there was so much additional functionality that made the OS popular among the WP community.

So is this still the case with Windows 10 Mobile? What, at the end of the day, do you really gain by upgrading? And does that make it worth dealing with your pet peeves? If I were to take a crack at those questions, I would sadly come to the conclusion that there is currently no reason for me to upgrade assuming the OS receives no new features. That really bugs me because I am a huge WP / MSFT enthusiast. But what is the gain? Edge? Gif support? Don't get me wrong: I love the UI in 10, but we all know how transient novelties are. Eventually, I won't notice / care how my tiles fly into the start screen. And the few minor additions aren't enough to convince me to upgrade from 8.1, an OS that I don't have any issues with. I do have pet peeves with 10, though, such as lack of support for "Show artist on lock screen" and the way the date and time float higher on the lock screen then they did in 8.1. I know those are tiny concerns, but the philosophy stands: why would I upgrade to 10, which I have small issues with, from 8.1, which I am happy with? I don't see the gain today. But that is just me.

So if Windows 10 Mobile really is feature locked, then I have difficulty seeing myself upgrading for any reason other than being on the forefront of what Microsoft is offering. Let's hope the Windows Mobile team has several exciting features to add in before the final release.

Well first off Daniel makes an "assumption". You in turn make a entire thread based on an "assumption". But I "assume" you know that already?

What is the point of these absurd post? Windows 8 is a awesome OS. Windows 10 on my 1520 is trouble free and makes windows 8 just that much better. Having had all of the iphones up to 6 and all of the Android flagships I see windows as the most fluid OS of all. Why do people feel every time Microsoft makes a move that it somehow negatively affects you? Microsoft has laid out their plan for mobile. It's simply a choice to stay with windows or any other system. Why make this out like it's that damn important? It's not.

As someone who loves windows phone I see this as a huge step forward in improving an already great OS and unifying it with the whole Microsoft ecosystem.
What's the point of asking everybody else what would they do if this is locked down. The issue is what would you do? And what you do has no effect on me.
Please tell me what would they have to do to make you just love your phone without daily second guessing? Maybe that's a better question?

Sorry for the rant!

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think we need more features in Windows 10. There are so many little things that are missing..... It seems like just a major UI overhaul to me....

For me I would like to be able to

-choosing default apps for different file types
-A reboot/Restart Option
-Close all option on multi tasking windows
-Email - Notifications for sub folders without having to pin them to the start.... I used the email in Windows 10 on my test device and I'm not sure if I could manage. It still needs some work in my opinion. For example, one thing I noticed is that when you pin sub folders for start screen, they all show as "Account name". It doesn't have the name of the folder. At least 8.1 had it :| Am I just supposed to guess which folder?

If the email is not to my liking I probably won't upgrade as email is very important to me. I get by with 8.1 email app, though it could be better... :/

Oh.. And there is no way to disable conversation view in Outlook mail... Really?lol

Last edited:

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Here's how I stand right now:
I am going to upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile at launch. However, it's less of an "upgrade" and more of a "sidegrade." As of now, Windows 10 Mobile is only really a design alternative. Microsoft really needs to step up on this front.

mrjavan

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
The simple answer for me is, if I had to pay for 10 mobile as it is... HECK NO!! And that's even if every bug was gone. But it's free, so heck yeah I'm upgrading. I wouldn't be losing anything from 8.1 (once the bugs are gone), and the few new features like: predictive dialing, expanded action center, better "looking" store, slightly better functioning settings menu, better Office apps, and the ability to have things updated without the whole os needing to be. Again, that's just a few things I like. BUT...if this were to be it...sad to say, the next Samsung Note would get my money. I have jumped back and forth between android and wp...my heart roots for wp, but.....i loves me some features!!

rtwright68

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
I would say yes. I do like the changes that have been made to the OS, and further bug fixes will be good enough for me to stay with it. I know that there will be ongoing improvements over time, so anything else added will be great.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I hope it's not feature locked. The people app has nowhere near the functionality it did in 8.1.

There are no notifications for pinned contacts. In 8.1 you can pin a person. All that person's emails, calls and messages bubble up notifications.

People tile history does not work. In 8.1 you could see all a person's history by calls, messages and emails.

In 8.1 if a pinned contact texts you clicking on their live tile takes you to the message thread. In 10 it takes you to the contact page, which is full of nothing but white space and requires an extra click.

There are no customized notification sounds by contact.

Advanced Bluetooth controls do not function anymore. You can't rewind, skip or get track info like in 8.1.

These are all major missing features that will make me dump the platform if they are being omitted. I've already accepted the fact that dark theme support is going out the window but I can't take much more than that.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Dark theme support isn't going out the window... To my hearing, haven't some w10 mobile apps recently been updated with support for the darl backgrounds to match your theme?

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
I hope it's not feature locked. The people app has nowhere near the functionality it did in 8.1.

There are no notifications for pinned contacts. In 8.1 you can pin a person. All that person's emails, calls and messages bubble up notifications.

People tile history does not work. In 8.1 you could see all a person's history by calls, messages and emails.

In 8.1 if a pinned contact texts you clicking on their live tile takes you to the message thread. In 10 it takes you to the contact page, which is full of nothing but white space and requires an extra click.

There are no customized notification sounds by contact.

Advanced Bluetooth controls do not function anymore. You can't rewind, skip or get track info like in 8.1.

These are all major missing features that will make me dump the platform if they are being omitted. I've already accepted the fact that dark theme support is going out the window but I can't take much more than that.

Isn't this what the insider program is all about?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99