08-21-2015 06:31 PM
130 12345 ...
tools
    I'm more in for features now than bugfixes.
    07-13-2015 08:58 AM
    Cortana alpha is still not available on W10, whereas she is available on 8.1 in those affected countries.
    What is Cortana alpha?
    07-13-2015 10:18 AM
    Hello everyone! I wanted to get a discussion started about Windows 10 Mobile in light of Dan Rubino's statement in his Build 10166 review:
    "at this stage Windows 10 Mobile is mostly feature locked"

This got quite a bit of attention in the comments, but I think it would be helpful for the community to have a place to put forth logical arguments and discussions about our opinions on this. So here is the question:

If Windows 10 Mobile only receives bug fixes and polish from now until the general release, will you upgrade from 8.1 at the time of release?
    For now, let's exclude discussion of buying new flagship lumias (and therefore, continuum for phones)

My humble opinion follows, but you don't need to read it as it is just a personal response to the question:

I think it is highly beneficial to look back to the 8->8.1 upgrade to examine why anyone would update a phone in the first place. For me, and I assume, many others, the 8.1 update was an obvious choice; there were so many new features and improvements that even though I had a few very minor pet peeves, features like Cortana, Action Center, and tile transparency to vastly outweighed my concerns, leading me to run the DP as soon as I could. I mean, this update was so badly wanted by the VZW WP community that there was discussion of getting the FCC involved (or even pursuing a class action lawsuit!) to pressure Big Red into pushing out the update. So why were people so keen on getting the 8.1 update? Something tells me there was more to it than eye candy; there was so much additional functionality that made the OS popular among the WP community.

So is this still the case with Windows 10 Mobile? What, at the end of the day, do you really gain by upgrading? And does that make it worth dealing with your pet peeves? If I were to take a crack at those questions, I would sadly come to the conclusion that there is currently no reason for me to upgrade assuming the OS receives no new features. That really bugs me because I am a huge WP / MSFT enthusiast. But what is the gain? Edge? Gif support? Don't get me wrong: I love the UI in 10, but we all know how transient novelties are. Eventually, I won't notice / care how my tiles fly into the start screen. And the few minor additions aren't enough to convince me to upgrade from 8.1, an OS that I don't have any issues with. I do have pet peeves with 10, though, such as lack of support for "Show artist on lock screen" and the way the date and time float higher on the lock screen then they did in 8.1. I know those are tiny concerns, but the philosophy stands: why would I upgrade to 10, which I have small issues with, from 8.1, which I am happy with? I don't see the gain today. But that is just me.

So if Windows 10 Mobile really is feature locked, then I have difficulty seeing myself upgrading for any reason other than being on the forefront of what Microsoft is offering. Let's hope the Windows Mobile team has several exciting features to add in before the final release.
    Well first off Daniel makes an "assumption". You in turn make a entire thread based on an "assumption". But I "assume" you know that already?

What is the point of these absurd post? Windows 8 is a awesome OS. Windows 10 on my 1520 is trouble free and makes windows 8 just that much better. Having had all of the iphones up to 6 and all of the Android flagships I see windows as the most fluid OS of all. Why do people feel every time Microsoft makes a move that it somehow negatively affects you? Microsoft has laid out their plan for mobile. It's simply a choice to stay with windows or any other system. Why make this out like it's that damn important? It's not.

As someone who loves windows phone I see this as a huge step forward in improving an already great OS and unifying it with the whole Microsoft ecosystem.
    What's the point of asking everybody else what would they do if this is locked down. The issue is what would you do? And what you do has no effect on me.
    Please tell me what would they have to do to make you just love your phone without daily second guessing? Maybe that's a better question?

Sorry for the rant!
    Captain_Eric, rhapdog and 2uiam like this.
    07-13-2015 10:33 AM
    I think we need more features in Windows 10. There are so many little things that are missing..... It seems like just a major UI overhaul to me....

For me I would like to be able to

-choosing default apps for different file types
    -A reboot/Restart Option
    -Close all option on multi tasking windows
    -Email - Notifications for sub folders without having to pin them to the start.... I used the email in Windows 10 on my test device and I'm not sure if I could manage. It still needs some work in my opinion. For example, one thing I noticed is that when you pin sub folders for start screen, they all show as "Account name". It doesn't have the name of the folder. At least 8.1 had it :| Am I just supposed to guess which folder?

If the email is not to my liking I probably won't upgrade as email is very important to me. I get by with 8.1 email app, though it could be better... :/

Oh.. And there is no way to disable conversation view in Outlook mail... Really?lol
    Last edited by ttsoldier; 07-13-2015 at 10:48 AM.
    07-13-2015 10:37 AM
    Here's how I stand right now:
    I am going to upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile at launch. However, it's less of an "upgrade" and more of a "sidegrade." As of now, Windows 10 Mobile is only really a design alternative. Microsoft really needs to step up on this front.
    mrjavan and angelblast1997 like this.
    07-13-2015 01:40 PM
    The simple answer for me is, if I had to pay for 10 mobile as it is... HECK NO!! And that's even if every bug was gone. But it's free, so heck yeah I'm upgrading. I wouldn't be losing anything from 8.1 (once the bugs are gone), and the few new features like: predictive dialing, expanded action center, better "looking" store, slightly better functioning settings menu, better Office apps, and the ability to have things updated without the whole os needing to be. Again, that's just a few things I like. BUT...if this were to be it...sad to say, the next Samsung Note would get my money. I have jumped back and forth between android and wp...my heart roots for wp, but.....i loves me some features!!
    angelblast1997 and MikeSo like this.
    07-13-2015 02:42 PM
    I would say yes. I do like the changes that have been made to the OS, and further bug fixes will be good enough for me to stay with it. I know that there will be ongoing improvements over time, so anything else added will be great.
    angelblast1997 likes this.
    07-13-2015 02:49 PM
    I hope it's not feature locked. The people app has nowhere near the functionality it did in 8.1.

There are no notifications for pinned contacts. In 8.1 you can pin a person. All that person's emails, calls and messages bubble up notifications.

People tile history does not work. In 8.1 you could see all a person's history by calls, messages and emails.

In 8.1 if a pinned contact texts you clicking on their live tile takes you to the message thread. In 10 it takes you to the contact page, which is full of nothing but white space and requires an extra click.

There are no customized notification sounds by contact.

Advanced Bluetooth controls do not function anymore. You can't rewind, skip or get track info like in 8.1.

These are all major missing features that will make me dump the platform if they are being omitted. I've already accepted the fact that dark theme support is going out the window but I can't take much more than that.
    akshaypn and yehuda92 like this.
    07-13-2015 03:30 PM
    Dark theme support isn't going out the window... To my hearing, haven't some w10 mobile apps recently been updated with support for the darl backgrounds to match your theme?
    07-13-2015 03:49 PM
    I hope it's not feature locked. The people app has nowhere near the functionality it did in 8.1.

There are no notifications for pinned contacts. In 8.1 you can pin a person. All that person's emails, calls and messages bubble up notifications.

People tile history does not work. In 8.1 you could see all a person's history by calls, messages and emails.

In 8.1 if a pinned contact texts you clicking on their live tile takes you to the message thread. In 10 it takes you to the contact page, which is full of nothing but white space and requires an extra click.

There are no customized notification sounds by contact.

Advanced Bluetooth controls do not function anymore. You can't rewind, skip or get track info like in 8.1.

These are all major missing features that will make me dump the platform if they are being omitted. I've already accepted the fact that dark theme support is going out the window but I can't take much more than that.
    Isn't this what the insider program is all about?
    xandros9 likes this.
    07-13-2015 03:57 PM
    Isn't this what the insider program is all about?
    Yes, but this isn't the insiders app :) They're asking for discussion off of the windowscentral home page today.
    07-13-2015 04:13 PM
    Dark theme support isn't going out the window... To my hearing, haven't some w10 mobile apps recently been updated with support for the darl backgrounds to match your theme?
    They have, but not to the degree it was in 8.1. Cortana's dark theme directly replaces elements that had been black with white. It's nowhere to be seen in the new mail and calendar apps. Other things that had been black are now grey, etc. It's just moving away from what had been a beautiful, elegant and consistently applied design.
    a5cent and Kram Sacul like this.
    07-13-2015 04:17 PM
    From a visually challenged person the ease of access features are of the utmost importance and as of now they are worse on the WM10. Scaling problems are throughout the system. You increase your text size then you run into scaling issues. What'd the point then? I really hope they are working on that. Several times I upgraded and roll back on lumia 93o. On lumia 1020 it's running slow and laggy. Upgraded there also several times and rolled back. Can't seem to be satisfied with the WM10. white background apps such as mail is very faint and hard to read need better contrast. Cortana white theme and the small text is horrible for me. Why things can't be a little bigger like OK Google on the nexus 5 which I have. I really love my windows phone I have three of them for God sake but IOS and Android seem to care and do better in the accessibility area.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    07-13-2015 04:47 PM
    I must add I am writing here in this forum t using my nexus 5 because it has a better windows central app than the one on the windows phone. That's very sad and I am speaking from the low vision area. Can't read the one on windows phone. When I want to run through Facebook again I grab my nexus 5 because the Facebook app is friendlier and the text is larger and better contrast.

mrjavan likes this.
    07-13-2015 05:01 PM
    07-13-2015 06:08 PM
    Well first off Daniel makes an "assumption". You in turn make a entire thread based on an "assumption". But I "assume" you know that already?

What is the point of these absurd post? Windows 8 is a awesome OS. Windows 10 on my 1520 is trouble free and makes windows 8 just that much better. Having had all of the iphones up to 6 and all of the Android flagships I see windows as the most fluid OS of all. Why do people feel every time Microsoft makes a move that it somehow negatively affects you? Microsoft has laid out their plan for mobile. It's simply a choice to stay with windows or any other system. Why make this out like it's that damn important? It's not.

As someone who loves windows phone I see this as a huge step forward in improving an already great OS and unifying it with the whole Microsoft ecosystem.
    What's the point of asking everybody else what would they do if this is locked down. The issue is what would you do? And what you do has no effect on me.
    Please tell me what would they have to do to make you just love your phone without daily second guessing? Maybe that's a better question?

Sorry for the rant!
    Rather than give you the satisfaction of getting me fired up, I will simply say this:

I'm sorry you do not find value in this thread. Several other loyal WP enthusiasts, myself included, do. You don't need to continue following it. I am happy to hear you are enjoying your mobile experience. Please contact me privately if you require further attention regarding this thread; I am happy to defend it.
    MikeSo likes this.
    07-13-2015 08:29 PM
    Rather than give you the satisfaction of getting me fired up, I will simply say this:

I'm sorry you do not find value in this thread. Several other loyal WP enthusiasts, myself included, do. You don't need to continue following it. I am happy to hear you are enjoying your mobile experience. Please contact me privately if you require further attention regarding this thread; I am happy to defend it.
    Don't flatter yourself. There's nothing to defend here. It's just whining. You don't like windows phone move on. Why isn't your gut feeling good enough to make that decision. You need everybody else to tell you why you should keep a phone. Sheesh just think if this was something serious?
    Geddeeee and 2uiam like this.
    07-13-2015 08:37 PM

Gentlemen, that'll be enough. It's bad enough when a phone war starts between Android and WP. We certainly don't need it amongst ourselves.

Just to be clear, we welcome everybody's input. Right, wrong or indifferent we all have a voice. Rest assured we're not the mutual admiration society.

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk
    mrjavan, a5cent, Al4video and 1 others like this.
    07-13-2015 08:42 PM
    Nothing like a comparative os war. It's a sure fire way to ensure competitive functionality is embedded in the new os!
    Last edited by Cage Ata; 07-14-2015 at 07:46 AM.
    07-14-2015 07:26 AM
    From a visually challenged person the ease of access features are of the utmost importance and as of now they are worse on the WM10. Scaling problems are throughout the system. You increase your text size then you run into scaling issues. What'd the point then? I really hope they are working on that. Several times I upgraded and roll back on lumia 93o. On lumia 1020 it's running slow and laggy. Upgraded there also several times and rolled back. Can't seem to be satisfied with the WM10. white background apps such as mail is very faint and hard to read need better contrast. Cortana white theme and the small text is horrible for me. Why things can't be a little bigger like OK Google on the nexus 5 which I have. I really love my windows phone I have three of them for God sake but IOS and Android seem to care and do better in the accessibility area.

Windows Mobile 10 Is shaping up to possibly be a great upgrade. We often forget that this is still alpha quality. Who knows how Microsoft develops their os, 8.1 could have been designed in the same respect to 10 as 8. Anything lacking that existed in 8 or 8.1 will surely be carried over to 10. I cant imagine Microsoft completely removing features as minute as pinning contacts to the start screen. However, im holding all expectations until we arrive closer to rtm. Clearly the os is lacking features that lollipop and ios8 have, and I hope Microsoft adds the functionality in.. the only way to be sure is to upvote our creative ideas.. which is the entire point of these builds.
    Al4video likes this.
    07-14-2015 07:42 AM
    Yes, but I don't think anyone from android or ios will
    The OP stated this thread is asking would you UPGRADE from 8.1 to 10, not switch from Android or iOS. Doesn't really apply..
    -snap chat
    Since it isn't on 8.1, kind of pointless to require it on 10, since it's about upgrading from one WP OS to another, and not about jumping the Android or iOS ship.

Well first off Daniel makes an "assumption".
    Yes, and assumption it was.

I do believe that the desktop Windows 10 has fixed features, as it is being released earlier. However, many parts of the phone OS are still incomplete. This is why Windows 10 for Mobile is being released AFTER the Desktop and tablet version, because there is still more to do, and I'm not talking about just bugs. If it were all about bugs at this point, they could release all versions at the same time.

I won't say this thread is pointless, however. It raises a valid concern for many. I just happen to be one who believes those concerns are a bit premature.

I believe, and I may be wrong, that Microsoft still has plans to add a few more features before it rolls out.

What I DO believe is feature locked, is the set of features they PLAN on implementing before the release. That doesn't mean they are already there, but they won't be adding any more to their "to do list" of features until after their initial release. There is no way of knowing what is on this "to do list" of features, so we'll just have to wait and see. As I said, this is "What I DO believe", and I have no proof to back it up. It just seems like common sense to me. Does Microsoft have the common sense? We'll see.

Will I upgrade day one? No. It doesn't matter if they add the features or not. I want to wait a bit and let everyone else test the final to see how good it is before I make the plunge. It will probably be a few weeks after the mobile is released at the earliest before I upgrade everything. I'll upgrade all my devices at once when I do, phones and laptops, etc.
    Al4video and fatclue_98 like this.
    07-14-2015 08:40 AM
    I, for one, won't be upgrading to W10M. I will be using Win8.1 for as long as I can, then I will be moving on from the platform.
    I have been a Windows Phone fan for a long time. I know that compared to android/iOS, WP lagged some pretty big features, but I was happy to overlook them for the unique features WP did have. I loved the UI to the death, the easy one-handed navigation, the consistent look which even extended to third party apps. These are all gone in W10M, even the core apps don't look similar anymore.
    About the new features in W10M, universal apps is not that exciting to me, as apart from some core apps like files, I can't think of any app that I use both on my phone and my PC. The same goes for continuum. The hamburger menu is difficult to reach(which wouldn't have been an issue at all if it could be activated with a left swipe).
    There are some W10M features that I like - improved action center and more customizable start screen, but they are not worth sacrificing W8.1 for.
    Kram Sacul, akshaypn and yehuda92 like this.
    07-14-2015 11:35 AM
    If you hold the home key the hamburger menu slides right under your finger?
    07-14-2015 07:46 PM
    Having to wait a couple of seconds every time I need to reach the menu gets boring real fast.
    07-15-2015 02:18 AM
    The OP stated this thread is asking would you UPGRADE from 8.1 to 10, not switch from Android or iOS. Doesn't really apply..

Since it isn't on 8.1, kind of pointless to require it on 10, since it's about upgrading from one WP OS to another, and not about jumping the Android or iOS ship.

Yes, and assumption it was.

I do believe that the desktop Windows 10 has fixed features, as it is being released earlier. However, many parts of the phone OS are still incomplete. This is why Windows 10 for Mobile is being released AFTER the Desktop and tablet version, because there is still more to do, and I'm not talking about just bugs. If it were all about bugs at this point, they could release all versions at the same time.

I won't say this thread is pointless, however. It raises a valid concern for many. I just happen to be one who believes those concerns are a bit premature.

I believe, and I may be wrong, that Microsoft still has plans to add a few more features before it rolls out.

What I DO believe is feature locked, is the set of features they PLAN on implementing before the release. That doesn't mean they are already there, but they won't be adding any more to their "to do list" of features until after their initial release. There is no way of knowing what is on this "to do list" of features, so we'll just have to wait and see. As I said, this is "What I DO believe", and I have no proof to back it up. It just seems like common sense to me. Does Microsoft have the common sense? We'll see.

Will I upgrade day one? No. It doesn't matter if they add the features or not. I want to wait a bit and let everyone else test the final to see how good it is before I make the plunge. It will probably be a few weeks after the mobile is released at the earliest before I upgrade everything. I'll upgrade all my devices at once when I do, phones and laptops, etc.
    It kind of does apply, i mean if people on 8.1 and 8 wont upgrade i hardly doubt ios or android will too. If I "we" dont, who will?
    07-15-2015 03:08 AM
130 12345 ...