If Win10 Mobile now only receives polish and bug fixes, will you upgrade from 8.1 when 10 is out?

dwaynebritton

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Hey Thanks for your reply, I enjoyed it as well!

I had really just got Started with the big computers, as the first kit computers you built yourself came along, I built two. My first store bought was a TRS 80, with a tape deck for the backup. Next was TRS 80 #4 with two floppy drives. Lots of fun! Timex Sinclair was next. Then a Digital running UNIX. Next and IBM 286 with 1/4 meg of ram, and a 10 meg HD!

I will be saving money for the Lumia Flagship coming this year!

dwaynebritton

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Peter Norton, was a treat to meet. I had read a book by him, and it just blew my mind, how he understood computers, and how well he explained how they worked! I set though an hour talk about antivirus software, and what was ahead!

koreatownexile

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to see more new features. The people hub needs more cleaning I don't like it at all . Also the live tile people hub sucks .6tag integration would be nice. The new calendrer app is way to messy . I really like the calendar on 8.1.

With you on that. I hate HATE the animations on the people tile, those stupid circles. The adapting, enlarging squares on the original look amazing. I hate it when things get changed just to be changed and are then worse.

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I'll upgrade as soon as they fix the Cortana Bluetooth device connection issue. I was going to keep the 10166 preview on my daily driver but ended up reverting to 8.1 because I no longer had Cortana reading me my texts and allowing me to reply or send new texts over Bluetooth in my car. Once that is fixed I'll be good to go. All other new features in the works or planned will be icing on the cake!

pw38

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes this is a sufficient enough upgrade that I'd definitely do it on day 1. I like everything I see so far even with the buggy state it's in. I can see the complaints people have because it does seem to be cribbing a lot from Android/iOS and seems to be losing the metro aesthetic but everything seems sharper now and there's far less wasted space, especially in the new Outlook app. In spite of the loss of originality it seems with their OS we're getting a more versatile product that customers are more accustomed to.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Over all, only really using 10166 in depth (used 10149 for 3 hours then found MMS was not working and rolled back), I think I would upgrade. Why ?

1. Better Email client (worlds better than 8/8.1)and better calendar
2. Customization of the start screen is more dynamic, you can do a lot more with it (background images or just on tiles, or other options) to make it yours
3. Better Notifications with more shortcuts, even a flashlight (finally !)
4. Better Alarm layout (something I use every day) with stopwatch and timer built in.
5. Voice writing on any app, when you bring up the keyboard, it shows a microphone, was doing Twitter and facebook posts via voice, saves so much time ! Very cool
6. Better Xbox live Client (I am a gamer, so it's something I was looking forward to, although very buggy at this point).
7. More options in Settings, although it's not finished, I think it's got a lot of hope

Now, All depends if all the bugs are fixed will make the deciding factor, Cortana does not work right (only partly), Xbox live is slow as crap, Application crashes are very common, battery life is good but, not as good as 8.1 and the phone gets very hot after even 3-4 min of use.... So, I will not update on day one but, maybe day 3....

Then there is the other side of it, IF I OFFCALLY can. This is a Verizon ICON, a discontinued phone that we made a BIG deal to get 8.1 and it took forever. The MAJOR question is, will Verizon actually spend the time on a phone that was discontinued about a year ago with a new update ?

Knowing Verizon's history, I don't think it will happen, so we will be stuck on The dev preview forever, If it does happen, 6-8 months after release.

Waiting for the moment to say "S.C.R.E.W YOU Verizon again".....sigh...

but, no question when new models come out (high end models, not entry level stuff), with Continuum, I will look, as long as the Application "gap" is closed a little with Universal apps...

Vago Pachuquero

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Well the OS seems okay, it still lags and freezes up on my 1320 especially when I try to share a picture. The ability to have texts read out while plugged in to y car's AUX jack is not there no more so that sucks. Also I cannot choose a ringtone from the list of my custom ones, they just don't show up when trying to set one, it just lists the default built in ones and what's strange is that I can browse to the files and open them via file browser and can even open them; the only app that can open them is my alarms app, it lets me choose from my ring tones. WTF?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely. While I mourn the loss of the pivot navigation, the rest of W10M is coming together very nicely, and the new UI, input methods and apps make me excited about it. I will jump at it first chance I get. Hope more developers get on board too....

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I will be upgrading! As a graphic/web/mograph designer my life revolves around design. The new UI and aesthetics of Windows 10 Mobile are far better than WP8/8.1. I liked WP8 and I fell in love with it but things change and evolve. Though I wish the new UI was a bit more vibrant and live. Maybe adding the Aero effect in some areas, like the Notification + Action Center, in Cortana, banners/toast notifications/music controller.View attachment 108424View attachment 108425
https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/...505475-translucent-action-notification-center

I would also like to see a more integrated Cortana, maybe living next to the Start Screen, on the left. Check it out! View attachment 108423https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/8496286-more-integrated-cortana-cortana-on-the-start-sc

Today, I used an iPhone, which I hadn't in a while, and though I stopped liking Apple products, there was something that called me to it. The UI and smoothness of the OS was good. It looks alive and colorful, fun and entertaining.

If you would like to see these features vote for them on User Voice (links below images).
By the way, I heard that they said they/Microsoft said that there wouldn't be new features in W10M until the PC version reached RTM. Dont quote me on that though.

Note: Excuse the mockups as they were made under 5 mins.

That's a total Android ripoff (having Cortana on swipe-from-left) but I like it. :) It would be nice if MS also ripped off the swipe-from-left in apps, to access the hamburger menu. Not sure if they can even do that without getting sued though. :p

PBLNS

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have 1 simple question.... anyone has this version on a Lumia 920?? is it good enought for my main device? The battery will last the same amount of time?

Thx =D I have been waiting to upgrade far too long!

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
If you have to wait a few seconds maybe you need another phone. it's very quick (instant) on my phone.

What is it you are talking about? I don't see any functionality like that on my 635 with 10166. At least I haven't noticed.

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
There is far more to deter me than persuade me to make the switch to W10 mobile. Edge browser, Store Beta and new Outlook calendar app are the only things I that I find to be better. I'm having a hard time seeing what is in build 10166 that would make someone switch from iOS or Android.

akhilesh lumia

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Dont updated now , its irritating worst os and support
every half an hour its asking scan SD card if we press YES even doesn't happen anything

apps are not supporting

and i lost all data

its horrible ,

what ever android is best

even no Magic jack app

no better apps

my model number lumia 535
First microsoft worst mobile which is continuing [sucking my blood

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
every half an hour its asking scan SD card if we press YES even doesn't happen anything

apps are not supporting

and i lost all data

its horrible ,

If you're having that trouble with the SD card, it isn't the OS or the phone. That sound like you picked up a "fake SD" card. Once you get to a certain point filling up the card, the data corrupts and you start losing stuff. Get a valid microSD card for your phone, and that will clear up the problem. Shame on whomever sold you the card in the first place. Unfortunately, there are a LOT of disreputable dealers that do just that.

If you don't know what a fake SD card is, do a quick search in your browser. You'll get more hits than you care to read. Read one and and see what it is.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

apps are not supporting

and i lost all data

its horrible ,

even no Magic jack app

no better apps

That reads like a poem.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

apps are not supporting

and i lost all data

its horrible ,

even no Magic jack app

no better apps

Stop what your doing now, Take your 535 back to the store you got it from and return it. Your an Android fan, so go back to your Android device.

Your right a lot of apps are missing but, if you can find all the apps to do what you need, then it's all good stick with what like if your just going to bash it.

-Email - Notifications for sub folders without having to pin them to the start....

LOL good luck with that one... We have been asking it from the Windows Mobile days (going back to WM 5.0)... Keep asking and never get...

I think I gave up when WP 7 came out and still nothing. At least in Mail on Windows 10, if you pin a folder (so you don't have keep hitting folders) it would be nice to see a notification for a new message but, that is more of a fantasy....

martinwtaylor

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I shall upgrade as I like 10166 so far, it only has a couple of minor issues now. More importantly, I will go W10 on all my devices and I want a common platform to access my OneDrive documents wherever I am and whatever I'm doing. Windows 10 will be greater than the sum of each device.

seasidepb

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
Proper Bluetooth support. I know it's in 8.2 but that's almost impossible to get hold of unless you have a Lumia 640. And I don't think the UI changes are superficial - the extended "settings" menu in 8.1 is frankly ridiculous: whoever thought that was a good idea? That said the bug fixing still has a long way to go. I've just gone back to 8.1 from 10166 because I was finding it hard to end a phone call... the screen just became unresponsive (on a 630). I will upgrade asap but I don't think I'll bother with any more preview versions until it's much closer to completion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos